I'm jumping on the boat - please help!

Posted by MikaHalpinen 
I'm jumping on the boat - please help!
Date: April 21, 2003 10:47PM
Posted by: MikaHalpinen
Hiya'll....I bought GP4 about 6 months back and never got a race out of it, cos my computer is too dodgey to run it. However, when I installed it, I did not edit anything and nor did I follow much info from the other threads where people had poor frame rates.

So my question is this - Can you please post in this thread every tip possible for me to run a bearable FPS rate - I'm talking no detail, lowest res. etc. My computer is not up to scratch to play GP4 but the chances of me getting a new one are extremely slim, so I'm going to try and make do.

All help appreciated, thanks guys.

Re: I'm jumping on the boat - please help!
Date: April 22, 2003 02:25AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Well dude u could do a few searches, but i did some for you and came up with this *handy* advice ;)

Author: ayazyounis
Date: 04-08-03 01:05

Ok guys, so youve been fiddling around with the f1graphics.cfg file for 6 months trying to squeeze an extra fps from the game...well now you dont have to! there is a utility called speedgear which speeds up every game and your computer. just install it and set the value to whatever you like. default is 10000 i think. the car will absolutely zoom around the track. i did a lap of imola and i cant remember the lap time but it "felt" like 40 seconds!

ok the bit you reaaly want. get it from here [www.voodoofiles.com].

the spinning tyre in the gp4 background spins much faster, the pitcrew look like theyre actually running!

i did the lap of imola with no mirrors, reflections on, low shadows, high res cars, all objects (trackside) on, car geometry on max, tecture quality on max, and it flies!!!!

the game says i have 20fps but i tell you it is at least double that!

Date: April 22, 2003 02:25AM
Author: Fieroboy
Date: 04-03-03 12:42

I'm always dickin' around with my GP4 files especially the cars.wad. I noticed when changing this wad my frames are reset to 0, this happens also when changing the graphics.cfg (obviously). When I first got GP4 I allways would recalibrate after these changes but now I don't. Without recalibrating I keep my PO of 45-60 consistantly with 32bit on, 90% mirror and most graphic goodies on. I'm running all the 03 hi.tex carshapes at 1024 res, smooth as hell. I know this is a tired subject but maybe some of you with obsolete CPU's like mine (PIII-450 256Meg) will benefit also. So basically get your GP4 runnining with a decent PO, exit, edit you're .CFG. Start GP4 and see if the PO is still the same. I have been doing this for months and so far have not seen any slowdowns or stutter. If someone has allready brought this up in another thread, sorry for bringing it up again.

-----

and that

Date: April 22, 2003 02:59AM
thanks Chris, I had actually searched a bit, and have done some of the things I found. The second one there seems to be interesting, I might have a look at that. That speedgear program, if you'd have looked in the thread you would've seen I posted about it myself :-) hehe.

Date: April 22, 2003 03:42AM
meh don't bother anymore. I've managed to get it at a near playable level but the graphics sacrifice is just silly, it looks like GP2.

Thanks Chris, and to anybody who was going to help.

I'll make do with Grand Prix 3 :)

Date: April 22, 2003 07:23AM
*someone save this man* :';( ;)

Date: April 22, 2003 07:37AM
Posted by: Fisico2k3
hey i am considering buying gp4...although it's not as editable as gp3, i wanna try it.

how will my computer stack up?

AMD Duron 1300XP
256 RAM
GeForce MX440

where i get stuck with computers is the difference between the processor and RAM, to play gp4 well, will i need
a) simply more RAM
b) a better processor ($$$$$$$$ eeeeek!)
c) or will i be fine?
Date: April 22, 2003 03:40PM
Posted by: senninho
Fisico, I have a similar spec pc to you (see sig), and i get about 30fps in 1024x768 - pretty darn good. I would suggest that you upgrade (or downgrade) the drivers for your GF4. i use 30.82 - went down from the latest ones (40.something) and it really made a difference. I think the newer drivers are designed for the Ti series cards.
On the subject of upgrades -

a)more RAM is the cheapest option, and will certainly help - another stick of 256mb will do wonders

b)more expensive, but even better! :)

c)yes, shouldn't have any problems

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy