GP4 & win8 again

Posted by mckey415 
GP4 & win8 again
Date: February 07, 2014 12:20PM
Posted by: mckey415
Hi guys!

Sorry for starting another thread on the same old topic. I read them all still cannot get my GP4 to work.

So, I had my notebook with Win7 and GP working fine. I installed Win8 x64 Ent and every time when I try to run the game I get only a black screen. I tried the following tricks:

1. run the game via launching gp4.exe, via gpxpatch and csm - only black screen.
2. set gp4 compatibility mode to win7, winxp sp2,3 - in this case the game starts to ask me to insert a CD!
3. set full control permissions on game folders and files.
4. delete f1graphics and cards.txt files.
5. disable multisampling.

Still no luck. So I'm asking you can someone please give me advice how to get GP4 running.

My notebook is HP Envy 6 with Intel 4000/AMD Radeon HD 7670M graphics. GP4 is 1.02 version with decrypted exe installed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
F1 A.D.: 1993-1996 - Future in the past
[f1ad.narod.ru]

1994 Mod Official Website
[grandprixx.com]
Re: GP4 & win8 again
Date: February 07, 2014 12:39PM
Posted by: kedy89
I only got it to work on my laptop with win8 after installing it to C:\Games\GP4. It didn't work when it was in C:\Program files, C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Users\YourName, even after giving the control permissions. I always got a black screen when it was installed in one of these 3 locations.

Compability of both gp4.exe and gpxpatch.exe set to winxp sp3, both run as admin. ZazTools installed to C:\Games\ZazTools, no compability mode, only run as admin.

Some mods
F1 1996 | F1 2002 | F1 2007 | F1 2011 | F1 2013 | F1 2015 | F1 2018
Date: February 07, 2014 02:01PM
Posted by: tamburello
mckey415,

try to disable in GPxPatch "Intellivibe". Compatibility mode should be XP Service Pack 3.

Cheers
Date: February 07, 2014 04:58PM
I don't even try to run the game through GPxPatch! I try to run gp4.exe.

My game is already installed in c:\games\grand prix 4 folder.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[f1ad.narod.ru]

[grandprixx.com]
Date: February 07, 2014 10:54PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Maybe an issue with graphic card or resolution screen.

Else, did you set 'Run as Administrator' to GP4.exe for all users in compatibility tab ?

Date: February 08, 2014 03:26AM
Posted by: mortal
A black screen is a graphics issue.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 08, 2014 05:22AM
Well, maybe it's really related to graphics. I tried to delete f1graphics and cards.txt files, so that game could create default ones itself. No result.

Also I tried to disable autoselecting graphics adapter for the game by manually setting it to run with intel 4000 and radeon hd using switchable graphics settings in Catalyst Control Center - no luck too.

[f1ad.narod.ru]

[grandprixx.com]
Date: February 08, 2014 08:28AM
Posted by: mortal
I see your problem, you are using a laptop with switchable graphics. I've seen the problem before and I don't recall there being a working fix. The problem is the assigning of the particular mode, for some reason GP4 doesn't like it. :-(
However, there may be an application out there that can force it, do a bit of research, you might get lucky.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2014 08:30AM by mortal.
Date: February 08, 2014 02:41PM
Hmm... I've found out very strange thing:

I already wrote that when I set gp4.exe to any compatibility mode it starts to ask for game CD. I downloaded ISO file mounted it (it's very easy in Win8 :-)) and tried to run the game in compatibility mode. And it works! So it's not a graphics issue...

I can't say that it's a fix but some info to think on...

[f1ad.narod.ru]

[grandprixx.com]
Date: February 08, 2014 02:58PM
Posted by: roraimafilho
I can play the game on win8 x64, in a laptop with swithed graphics. I have a clevo (don't ask me the model - In Brasil it's sells as Avell).

My graphic card is hd3000 (awfaul) and GT555M (which I choose manualy to run the game). And it works very well, even playing through GPxPAtch or Zaztools.

But, as someone said before, the game is on C:/Grand Prix4
Date: February 08, 2014 03:36PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
mortal écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A black screen is a graphics issue.

I think that can be also due to administrative rights needed and stopping the game at this stage.
The "insert CD" could be something stopping the game on a black screen as well.
You should look into your task bar if there isn't something waiting for you when you have a black screen. I had that and it was the firewall blocking the game.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy