Converting CSM mod to non csm

Posted by lalboy 
Converting CSM mod to non csm
Date: November 20, 2013 08:25AM
Posted by: lalboy
Is it possible to convert tsm mods to non tsm mods?
Re: Converting CSM mod to non csm
Date: November 20, 2013 09:24AM
Posted by: mortal
Which do you mean? TSM is Track Set Manager. CSM is Car Set Manager.
Basically, what CSM does is packs the data into the wad, so that GP4 can read it as a normal in-game function. On exit CSM restores the wad to its original form.
Converting a CSM mod to work via the wad only would involve unpacking the wad manually and updating it piece by piece with the contents of the mod, then re-packing the wad, using a tool such as WadUpdater. Why you would do this when CSM does it for you is beyond me.
TSM can be used to load tracks without using the core CSM program. This info is in the GP4 FAQ.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 20, 2013 10:07AM
Yes I understand that however of late I’ve been having problems with csm mods as they sometimes keeps crashing. Sometimes while playing the csm mods on laptop the screen goes blank . I have to restart the laptop and when I start the game with gpx patch from gp4 directory I could see the csm mod loading instead of the original 2001 game cars without using csm which is quite strange.. I don’t face any problem playing with non csm mods so far and that’s why I would like to convert the csm mods into non csm mods. Is there any easy way to do that?
Date: November 20, 2013 10:29AM
No, you cannot do this.
You say your screen goes black...this is a graphics issue. It usually means that your graphics chip is incapable of rendering the mod correctly.
You say you are using a laptop, does it have Intel graphics? If so, therein lies your problem, your laptop does not have enough grunt to render high quality mods, which most of them are.
If as you say the wad is still loading the mod even though you are not using CSM, it is because CSM has not restored the wad to its original form on exit. The easiest solution is to apply a clean wad.
Some say.....you should click my sig. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: November 20, 2013 11:11AM
Okay I understand, so you say it is a graphics issue but the funny thing is that when I play the game with the same mod after restarting the computer without using csm as I explained earlier then the game never crashes nor the screen goes black. How is it possible if the problem is with graphics?
Date: November 20, 2013 11:32AM
How can you play a csm mod without using csm? If you restart the computer, and you say you play the same mod, then how are you doing it without csm? If it is a mod, then you must be using csm. Am I right? If the mod loads without csm, then the only explanation can be that the wad has not restored to its original form on csm exit. This can happen when a forced exit occurs and csm is unable to unload the wad. Therefore the wad contents are as they were when csm loaded it. Grand Prix 4 can only load what it finds in the wad.
If it is playable, it could be because not all of the csm content is present, for example the anim wad may not be loaded. That is an assumption on my part, as to the real cause, it could be a number of factors involved.
A black screen hang is definitely a graphics issue as I said earlier.
So, to sum up, when you load a full mod via csm, it hangs, due to the inability of the graphics to correctly render, however, when you restart and run again, only a part of the mod is being loaded, so your graphics can render it. If you were able to exit GP4 without forcing a computer re-start, CSM would unload and restore the wad.
I am at a loss to explain why it runs at all, but it appears that it does. Download the clean wad from my files. Replace the wad, start CSM, run till it hangs on the black screen. Restart again, replace the wad once more, and then start GP4 from gpx and see what you get.

Date: November 20, 2013 09:09PM
Posted by: gitanes
If the computer crashes playing a CSM mod, then CSM hasn't restored the files to their original states! In this case, the cars.wad, anim.wad and the track files in the main GP4 directory are the ones updated by CSM, thats why you get the mod even without starting CSM!

If you haven't messed around with those files, there is a simple fix for that: start CSM, select the mode and you will see the RESTORE button becoming selectable! Press on it and CSM will do the rest!

My personal GP4 files at : www.4shared.com ______ My Blog at : Gitanes GP4 work

* Performance Files * LoadingScreens GoogleMaps * GP4 Tracks and Cars Databases
Date: November 21, 2013 02:59AM
I always like to do some experimenting. I loaded the csm mod through csm and after it was loaded I moved a copy of the gp4 folder along with mod files ectracted by the csm to another location. I exited from csm and the mod was restored and then I deleted the original gp4 folder and then moved the already saved gp4 folder with the extracted csm mod back to the infogramers folder. I then did not open the mod with csm instead I opened gpx patch in the main gp4 folder and loaded the game. Since the csm mod extracted files were already in the gp4 folder the cars that were in the mod were seen instead of the original gp4 cars. Now when I started to play only my car was that was available in the mod and the rest of the cars were the original gp4 cars. Why it is like that and what should I do so that all the cars are loaded are from the files of the csm mod and not the original gp4 cars? I would like to do this as the game load faster through the original gp4 folder rather than through the csm. I dont know why it is like that but that is the truth. Also I would also like to iknow which file or folder in the csm mod has got the camera settings file since I would like to edit the camera settings to my liking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2013 03:01AM by lalboy.
Date: November 21, 2013 04:59AM
Posted by: Foreverk
There are 2 files in csm mods with camera settings, usually located in the folder "Tweaker\gp4tweak_data" look a the files "onboardcamera.ini" and "viewanglecam.ini".
Date: November 21, 2013 06:30AM
I was able to find 'onboardcamera.ini' however there is no 'viewanglecam.ini' in 'Tweaker\gp4tweak_data"'
Date: November 23, 2013 11:39AM
That is because that particular mod does not allow adjustment of those settings. If it did, the file would exist. You could find a mod that has the file, add it to the mod, making sure that the path to the new ini file is added to the mod in the tweaker data.
If you are not using csm, run GP4Tweaker separately and tweak the settings, apply to the exe and then run GP4.

Date: November 24, 2013 01:25AM
Posted by: Foreverk
In some mods, like the ones from GP4 central, all the tweaker settings (tyres, arms, rear ligth, cameras, etc) are in one single .ini file, usually in the cars folder, you could check there too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy