Problem with TSM [fixed]

Posted by TGF1DRIVER 
Re: Problem with TSM
Date: October 05, 2013 05:15AM
Posted by: wiseman86
I'm pretty sure I have the same problem. I'm not using CSM (I build my on custom cars.wad files for personal seasons), and I used TSM to extract the 1991 Mexico track, then used Track Installer 1.3 to put it into my game (I cannot get CSM to work, so I do it the hard way I guess), and GP4 crashes after loading half the track. In my case, the WAD file was named "mexico cit1991.wad" and the other files were named "mexico city1991.DAT" (.GPI/.BMP for the other files). It continued to crash after I renamed the WAD file too. Most frustrating as through TSM seems to be the only way to get the Mexico circuit.
Date: October 05, 2013 05:28AM
Posted by: mortal
In that case the track is definitely faulty.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 05, 2013 06:30AM
Posted by: wiseman86
Yeah, the track is definately faulty, I got plodekk's 1991 trackpack from:

[www.grandprixgames.org]

and did exacty the same as I describer earlier, and got the Mexico trak running without any issues.
Date: October 05, 2013 08:22AM
Posted by: TomMK
The track is not faulty. I can use this track from plodekk's 1991 trackpack, using GPxTrack (i.e. not using TSM).

The problem is, you have to remember that you're taking the track from a TSM trackpack. TSM has the ability to rename both the wad file itself, AND the files within the wad file (which is important). If you want to use the track outside of TSM, it is up to you to make sure the wad filename is correct, because TSM is not there to fix it for you. I will explain how to make a TSM track work, without TSM:

Every track wad file contains some files which all have the same filename. Open up any track wad file and you will find a folder called "maps". Inside "maps" are two folders, one called "resources" and one other. This other folder has some name. If you open this folder, you will see lots of other files also with the same name.

This name is called the "Prefix". The important thing you must know if you want to use a track without using TSM is that the wad filename must match the Prefix.

So looking at this Mexico 1991 track, for example, it was quite easy to find why you are having a problem. Go to your GP4 folder\Tracks\1991 Mexico City\1991 and you will find these 4 files:

Default.tmd
mexico1991.wad
S1CT09.DAT

settings.ini

Firstly, you must take the dat and wad files and put them somewhere else, on their own. Otherwise the settings.ini (a file that TSM uses) will interfere.

Now, open mexico1991.wad and you will find the "maps" folder I mentioned above. Inside this is the "resources" folder, and another folder, called "nurburgring2001". This is the Prefix for this wad. So we can easily see why there is a problem; the filename of the wad - "mexico1991" - does not match the Prefix - "nurburgring2001".

So to fix this, simply rename mexico1991.wad to nurburgring2001.wad.

(I realise this contradicts what I said earlier about never renaming the .wad file, but I wasn't clear that you were using a track you got from a TSM trackpack).

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: October 05, 2013 08:43AM
That is good info for the OP to resolve his problem. Thanks for that Tom. :-)

@OP, click my sig for a wad updater or use Easywad, part of Zaz Tools which you already have. Once you fix your problem, put [fixed] in your topic header please. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 05, 2013 05:08PM
Posted by: TGF1DRIVER
I earlier said that I have renamed the wad-file already, now I renamed the folder inside the wad-file too, but it's still crashing. I even created a new wad-file called "nurburgring2001" (with the Mexico Track-files in it) with Wadupdater 3.4, but it's still the same black screen when loading the track. Maybe I did something wrong? :(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2013 08:07PM by TGF1DRIVER.
Date: October 05, 2013 11:02PM
Upload the track in a zip for me please.

Date: October 06, 2013 04:13PM
Where can I upload the files? I can't find any upload-button here... :(
Date: October 06, 2013 09:58PM
DOH! Try mediafire!

Date: October 07, 2013 09:19AM
Posted by: quickslick
you can try this track, it should work for you

[www42.zippyshare.com]
Date: October 07, 2013 09:14PM
Thank you quickslick, the track works perfectly now, great work! (Y) :-) And mortal, I'm quite new in this forum, I'm sorry. I will upload the not-working files very soon.
Date: October 07, 2013 09:44PM
There is no need to do that now. Problem solved. :-)

Date: October 07, 2013 09:48PM
Posted by: quickslick
@TGF1Driver, here's a very useful guide for moving tracks to another slot. I think it will help you for the future to prevent problems

[www38.zippyshare.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2013 09:49PM by quickslick.
Re: Problem with TSM [fixed]
Date: October 09, 2013 09:56PM
Thanks quickslick for the link, I already tried it out and renamed the right files, but when GP4 is loading the Buenos Aires 1979 Track for example, I still get the black screen and GP4 crashes when loading the track! :( Help me please!
Date: October 09, 2013 10:14PM
All you had to do was load the track, all the renaming had been done for you.

Date: October 09, 2013 10:41PM
Yes, but GP4 is still crashing! The Mexico City Track by quickslick works perfectly now, but all the other tracks I tried to fix on my own are not working even though I controlled every file, but they were renamed already as you said. But the tracks don't work and I don't know why!
Date: October 10, 2013 12:13AM
Which version of the 1979 Buenos Aires track are you using? The one from GP4DB?

Did you follow the instructions I gave a few posts up? What exactly did you try?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2013 12:15AM by TomMK.
Date: October 10, 2013 07:06PM
Yes, it's the version from GP4DB, by Rot Teufel. And I followed all the instructions that you and quickslick gave me, but it still doesn't work! :(
Date: October 11, 2013 08:38AM
What did you rename the wad file to? Did you rename files inside the wad?

Date: October 11, 2013 05:30PM
I only renamed "buenosaires.wad" to "barcelona2001.wad" and "buenosaires.dat" to "S1CT05", the files inside the wad had already the right names (for example "barcelona2001.cfp" ). Now where is my mistake? :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2013 06:55PM by TGF1DRIVER.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy