what level do u all compete?

Posted by iceman kimi 
Re: what level do u all compete?
Date: May 01, 2003 02:43AM
Posted by: iceman kimi
WITHOUT LAUNCH CONTROL, WITHOUT!

i didnt read my post before i submitted it!

Doh!
Date: May 01, 2003 06:37AM
Posted by: Vader
:) Did you see the edit-feature? I wonder what it does ... ;-)

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: May 01, 2003 07:07AM
Posted by: Pooky
i use force feedback ferrari thrustmaster wheel and pedals on pro level. i only use autogears and TC.

it is fecking hard trying to qualify and race with all the aids off. even tho i have the paddles it isstill very hard.

i do the 1 lap qualy format so it is quite hard to achieve a perfect lap everytime. but i do not have the performance to win a race, i am sort of midpack to top 6.

soon i will learn to play with no driver aids. but that time keeps getting delayed!

Date: May 01, 2003 07:36AM
Posted by: pjvenkman
I race on Pro or Semi-Pro level... I have been playing the GP series since it first came out on the Amiga, so I've learned to drive without driver aids...
Date: May 01, 2003 07:41AM
Posted by: Chris McLean
I use a wheel on Ace level. Remove all the driver aids apart from Auto Gears and Launch and Traction Control. Can't be doing with some of them - they slow you down!!

Depends on which track I drive as to how I do!!! Usually win at Indy and Imola's a particular favourite but tend to struggle on certain other tracks to get anywhere decent.
Date: May 01, 2003 07:42AM
Posted by: sasjag
i play at pro, but i don't neccasserilly compete :';(

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: May 01, 2003 09:53AM
Posted by: SchimmyMike
Using keyboard in gp4? Never drove with keyboard - it makes no fun for me.

No force feedback - hmn, i think there's nobody released a keyboard with force feedback effects or? :D

Join the biggest german speaking rpg community for Battlefield 1942 Modifikation "Forgotten Hope".

Visit www.fh-warzone.de for more informations.
Date: May 02, 2003 02:23AM
Posted by: AliMurray
Ladies and Gents.

To those who haven't tried it, I would suggest that having auto gears on is actually harder than off.

Slamming down manually through the gears at the end of a long straight is a damned effective way of slowing the car down and keeping control.

Also, as you get to learn a circuit, you get a feel for the right gear to take a corner in, and by not changing up you can be sure that you won't accidentally go through to fast, so you can concentrate totally on your car positioning.

Personally, I tend to drive at semi-pro starting at the back of the grid and try and get on the podium by the end of a 3 or 4 lap quick race.

Incidentally, does anyone know why my car seems to have an unfair advantage over AI cars in the race to the first corner - I find I am almost always up to 6 or 7th by then, and seem to fly past all the other cars, which doesn't seem right. I think most versions of GP have had this "feature" but it seems odd.

Cheers,

Ali
Date: May 02, 2003 04:21AM
Posted by: Morbid
Incidentally, does anyone know why my car seems to have an unfair advantage over AI cars in the race to the first corner - I find I am almost always up to 6 or 7th by then, and seem to fly past all the other cars, which doesn't seem right. I think most versions of GP have had this "feature" but it seems odd.

Yes. The AI follows a predetermined line, or ideal line, around the track, and only steps out of that ideal line when something goes wrong, or it wants to overtake. And even then, it rarely goes more than a cars width away from that line. It will try to return to the ideal line asap. If it cannot do that, and it does not think overtaking is realistic, then it understands its own situation as a failed overtaking attempt. So the AI pulls back so it can slot back into the line.

It is a mix of a pathing by waypoints (even though the ideal line is a gazillion waypoints rolled into one) and situational analysis, very much like good unscripted 3dshooters handle AI navigation.

While this a very strong system for an AI to follow, when the race is well underway, it is a bit of a rich mixture for it handle at racestarts. Having 20+ cars bunched up in all sorts of locations doesn't really leave much room to stay on the ideal line. While the AI can only stay on the ideal line, or go so far away from it, you can go anywhere you want, and thus you can exploit opportunities that the AI cannot see.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 02, 2003 04:23AM
Posted by: Pooky
its called **** programming.

what you have to do is just go thru the first corner falsly, just go slow to keep your position, dont go screeming in and take all the cars.

also, turn OFF LC, so when you make a start you get lots of wheelspin.

Date: May 02, 2003 04:45AM
Posted by: Morbid
its called **** programming

No it is not.

Over the last decade or so, AI has taken up more and more CPU power, and it is clearly a case of diminishing returns. The fairly simplistic games 10 years ago used about 1% of the CPU power, while a game like BF1942 has a slider that makes you able to go over 25%. That is a huge increase, and if you figure the vast gains in CPU into the equation, the increase of CPU power to AI gets mindboggling. And most games still have a lot of strange AI pathing, navigation and behaviour, or an eery artificial feel to it because essentially you as the player and the AI, are play two totally different games.

I would recommend that you take a look at some attempts to make AI navigate, either in RL or in a game enviroment (like the hundreds of bots that have been made for Q2, or Q2-engine based games like CS, by 3rd party programmers), and you find out how hard it actually is to do. Or just take a look at the huge 1st corner pile ups that the EA F1 series generates. The reason that games like GPL or Need for speed can do it right is because the physics that are imposed on the AI have very little to do with the physics that the player has to deal with.

In any case, if we are to discuss this further, I suggest that we take into a new thread, so we do not derail this one.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: May 07, 2003 02:01AM
Posted by: AliMurray
Morbid, thankls for the explanation - makes perfect sense, and now you've said it, I can see it happening at race starts.

It also (i think) explains one other slightly annoying feature of the game, where if I spin on a corner, and end up facing the wrong way, all the other cars queue up behind me, nudging me over and over again. I guess their AI isn't smart enough to go right round me and carry on, so they just sit there waiting for me to move. This is really annoying, as they often don't leave enough room to actually engage 1st and spin back the right way, so we all sit there stuck. Very annoying!

Ali
Date: May 07, 2003 10:56AM
Posted by: Lazhil
Am I the only rookie in here? I'm just got started...so please don't laugh...no wheel here, so I use the keyboard and I disable the undescrutability, re-alignment of the car and steering help (F8).
Yeah, I suck
Date: May 07, 2003 11:19AM
Posted by: Montoya
If I want to win, Rookie Mode.

If I want to have fun on the run-off areas, and crash into every other wall, Ace Mode.
Date: May 07, 2003 11:25AM
Posted by: Tony
Quote by Alimurray///Incidentally, does anyone know why my car seems to have an unfair advantage over AI cars in the race to the first corner - I find I am almost always up to 6 or 7th by then, and seem to fly past all the other cars, which doesn't seem right. I think most versions of GP have had this "feature" but it seems odd.///

I know, lol. And also, why am I always saying to myself at Monaco (shouts)"Well, come on, move! move !move!...TODAY!! PLEEEEZZZ!;).

Keyboard (for time being), semi-pro, Destruction off etc.......
Why does the Ace level leave your gears on??

Tony
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy