Helmets

Posted by Slasher 
Helmets
Date: June 29, 2013 03:56AM
Posted by: Slasher
A query on helmets.

As you might be aware from the question im going to ask, im not an experienced modder.

Do helmets have a generic shape for all helmets within the cars.wad, or can each helmet have their own specific shape?

The reason i ask is because im trying to update helmets for a particular slot (drivers 16 & 20) yet it point blank refuses to do so.

Ive tried different methods, using wadupdater via update wad, same program but de-compiling the wad then inserting the textures and re-compiling. I tried the old GP4Master and even that didnt work.

Im stumped. The only thing i can think of is if the helmet im trying to overwrite has a specific shape which i may have updated in the past, and wont accept the texture im trying to apply now.

Any ideas?
Re: Helmets
Date: June 29, 2013 08:20AM
With a bit of research (which i probably should of done in the first place), i now know that only 1 helmet shape is allowed.

Still doesn't explain why that helmet wont update.

Anyway im gonna be brave and try update the whole lot, shape included.

Any recommendations as to the best helmet shape with the most variety of helmets?

Will the textures of Arai 2006 work on the Arai helmets from 2005 and 2008?
Date: June 29, 2013 08:59AM
Posted by: spencer4242
When you say it refuses to do update, what do you mean exactly? Because even with the wrong helmet shape, the textures will still show up in game they will just look silly, the mapping will be wrong and so the top of the helmet will be over the visor, or something similar.

And it depends, each helmet texture will state what it's compatible with (usually they're compatible with about 3 different shapes) but the original GP4 helmets are only compatible with the original shape, and so if you want to update just 2 helmets, you probably need a whole set..!

Hope this helps :)

"Anything can happen in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does."
"The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."
Date: June 29, 2013 10:56AM
Thanks for replying spencer.

What i mean is the last texture for that helmet is still there.

I even unpacked the cars.wad, deleted that helmet, installed the helmet i wanted, yet that last helmet is still there.

Thats when i got stumped because i couldnt work out how it could possibly be there when i deleted it.
Date: June 29, 2013 12:08PM
Posted by: spencer4242
You can't have updated the wad!

You should have 2 files, driver??_1.tex and driver??_2.tex, yes?

Once you replaced them in the extracted wad, did you pack it up into a wad again?

"Anything can happen in Grand Prix racing, and it usually does."
"The lead car is unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy