Windows 8 and GP4 related software (GP4 Builder and TexResizer)

Posted by neldav03 
For many weeks I've been having varying issues where whenever I save something within GP4 Builder it saves 'locally' (ie - it recognises it is there next time it is loaded) but it does not save with the current time and date within Windows Explorer.

Today, I renamed the 'GP4' folder as 'Grand Prix 4'.

However, the 'GP4' folder is still showing in TexResizer, TeamEditor and GP4 Builder, see below with a load of folders inside.

In Wad Updater, everything is fine, see below.

I could just 'delete' the 'GP4' folder through TexResizer, but the fact is that it is a recurring and frustrating problem with GP4 Builder and something appears not to be complying with Windows 8. As the below screenshot shows, the 'GP4' folder does not exist through Windows Explorer....

Confused.com. Where GP4 Builder is concerned, this leads me to lose work - when the timestamp on the DAT/GP4 files do not match up (When opening through GP4B vs opening through Windows Explorer)

EDIT - Unfortunately this occurs only with Lo2k's tools it seems, sorry Lo2k!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 04:53PM by neldav03.
Case in point already emerged while beginning to create a new track.

Folder structure is:

Builder > melborne2001 > maps > melborne2001 > all the TEX files

So using TexResizer, I'm converting the TEX files to TGA, using the 'Convert All Tex To Tga' function. New folder created called 'TGA Files'. Sort of:

The folder is visible through TexResizer, but through Windows Explorer the folder does not exist, as the below screenshot shows:

The only way I can workaround this, is to:

1) Within TexResizer, copy and paste the 'TGA Files' folder onto the Desktop, so that the folder appears outside of TexResizer on the desktop
2) Within TexResizer, delete the original 'TGA Files' folder within the melborne2001 hierarchy
3) Move the folder from Desktop back within the melborne2001 hierarchy so it appears in Windows Explorer

Which works, but is a pain!
Isn't it related to proprietary rights ? It looks like you (or the game/utils) don't have access to the folders.

It is permissions, you're absolutely right. Moving the Builder folder over to my user area will solve the issue - I think!
Yeah - that's worked. Basically within all the folders in Program Files - each folder has a new set of permissions called 'ALL APPLICATION FILES' which only allows you to read the content, and not modify it. But moving it to my own user area works :)
Very weird story here !
I'm glad Eric found the solution...

It's because those tools don't have a manifest which tells Windows they are 'aware' of the rules forced upon since Vista. The guidelines were there since Win2k, but Vista is more strict in applying the rules.
To prevent 80% of the existing apps from crashing the Windows team decided to treat apps who are unaware of the 'new' rules differently.
When those apps write to folders where they don't have access Windows tells the apps everything went ok. Instead what really happens is that the files are written to the virtual store , which is a folder only visible for that particular application. That's why you are able to see the files from the dialogs in those apps.

If you run the app in administrator mode you'll have write access everywhere.
If you add a proper manifest to your app telling Windows you are aware of the rules, you should detect if you have write access and if you try to write anyway an error will be thrown (the virtual store will be disabled in that scenario)
Or simple apply a recursive action to give the user in the standard token read/write access in the particular folder

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy