Great way to reduce wad size

Posted by ayazyounis 
Great way to reduce wad size
Date: April 21, 2003 06:52AM
Posted by: ayazyounis
i think. im no expert so i would like the opinion of those who are. i think most of us are installing the high res. cars from viper and others like the 2003ga, fw25, etc. now as you know this makes the wad really big approaching 100mb!!! now if you were to extract all the files in the cars.wad and then, for the high res cars you have installed, you were to delete all the low and medium textures then surely the wad size would reduce?

example, i have vipers f2003 ga installed. i open the wad, delete all ferraris low and medium textures, then recompile the wad and hey-presto, a smaller wad!

in theory anyway. havent tried it yet. wondering what the experts think?
Re: Great way to reduce wad size
Date: April 21, 2003 08:04AM
Posted by: variante_ascari
delete the unwanted files
such as the old TEX file from the original wad
that will surely reduce the size of your wad after you compile them
that's what i do :)

Date: April 21, 2003 08:09AM
Posted by: ayazyounis
which are the unwanted files exactly? what do you mean the old tex file?
Date: April 21, 2003 08:43AM
Posted by: matt
if you are playing with hi res graphics,just get rid of all tex files that do not start with hi_ and vice versa.ive got all the best cars released so far with all high lod files with only 61MB.
Date: April 21, 2003 10:40AM
Posted by: sasjag
:| My wad is about 110Mb now, just for the simple reason it's full of crap and i don't see any point in getting rid of all the uneeded stuff

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 21, 2003 06:10PM
Posted by: Ellis
mine is bout same as sasjags. It doesnt effect it

Racing Is Life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting
Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 21, 2003 06:36PM
Posted by: sasjag
hmmm..just started a fresh (kept crashing) is now about 65Mb

btw does the wad size affect performance or not?

Sim

All Hail The New York Giants - Winners of Superbowl XXI, XXV and XLII!

"I'd love to know what goes on in that crazy head of yours sometimes, Sim..." - Locke Cole
Date: April 22, 2003 02:21AM
i dont think it does, all the game does is go into the wad, and get the file it wants, shudnt effect it. It shud load everything during loading the track, stick it in the ram and when ur playting, load the texture from the RAM?

Jesus may be able to heal the sick and bring the dead back to life, but he can't do shît for low fps
Date: April 22, 2003 02:47AM
Posted by: bojan_tarticchio
Yep, something like that...loading track might be longer, but once when it starts it's all the same. Carshapes without lower lods and non-downsampled hi-res textures are much bigger hit to performance.

---------------------
Bojan Tarticchio
Date: April 22, 2003 02:51AM
the loading time wud only be an extra few milli-seconds too, nothing major

Date: April 23, 2003 07:04AM
Posted by: ViperF1
There's big size wad files because that all my textures are undownsampled.The best way to solve that problem is to downsample the texture by yourself and path the file by TEXResizer after you downsampled it.Delete file can not make loding faster because GP4 doesn't read all files in wad while it is loding it..there's an index at the head of wad files so that GP4 can fast find the file need to load in the wad.
However,just the same as what you have seen in all my final 2001 cars,there are to versions:downsampled ones and undownsample ones , you can select which to install,I'll release all my new cars in this way.

Post Edited (04-23-03 14:06)

F1GrandPrix.net - 1999 - 2003 Viper F1 Studio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I will drive flat out all the time. I love racing." - Gilles Villeneuve
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy