Track Editing Tutorials - What would you like to see?

Posted by Prblanco 
Hi everyone.

Some friends already know that I'm planning to make some track editing tutorials. I've been answering a fair amount of questions about track editing in the past few weeks, so I think it's time to "archive" what I learned in some way that everyone can use. A swan song, maybe, who knows?

I want to know from everyone (specially those who ventured in the track editing business): what kind of topics would you like to see covered in the tutorials? Bugs you have encountered, common problems, doubts, anything! The more suggestions I have, the more complete the tutorials can be.

Keep in mind that I'll focus on using Lo2k's tools (GP4Builder, TexResizer, WadUpdater). Also a bit Google Earth, and maybe a bit of Excel. Absolutely no "external" software like AutoCAD, 3ds Max or Photoshop - these can be very helpful, but you certainly don't need them to make a track, and learning them is a different matter.

That's it for now, I think you'll like the result, and I hope to receive valuable feedback in the process. See you soon.

My unfinished tracks: [www.grandprixgames.org]
Send bug reports and track editing questions to f1virtualblog@gmail.com
Great! I also planned to make a complete tutorial last year but I hadn't had the time so far.

Maybe you can make the tutorial in a kind of chronological way:
1. Choosing the right track
2. Which slot should I use as a base?
and so on...

There were (and are) two main points, those bothered me most, when I started track editing:
- Why are so many ##x!*#! objects invisible in-game? Maybe you can tell us a bit about Visibillity Sets.
and
- How to make good and smooth elevation changes (beside GP4B's 'cosine'-feature)?
Swan song?

Im my opinion, my friend, four basic subjects for a standard GP4 track:

1. Dat file tutorial: All you can tell about creating just a perfect one. As much detailed remains a dat file, the better it goes. And Builder allows one to create smooth elevations, bumping, kerbs, bank/verge areas, jipmappings and magic data.

2. Fence Builder tutorial: Once one gets suited to this feature, it´s possible to create basically everything around track boundaries (which means landscape, fences, adverts, stands, etc)

3. Shadow making tutorial: Vòila, it´s done!!!!

4. Importing .gp4 objects. All related to object classes, visibility checkpoints, positioning, scaling, rotating etc.

So a good tutorial would develop, step by step, from inner track boundaries and behaviour (dat file) till whole environment set (.gp4 file)

Have fun!

^^^ What he said, particularly 1 & 4. do you plan .html or video tuts?

F1Dev
Swan song :-O
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

And about the topic. I define myself as the lame track editor - u no, I cant even make a proper cc-line!!! :-( (But I am still want to create my own track so very much :()
I am struggling everywhere so give me all that you can tell pleeeez Dog
And the fourth topic that gildoorf wrote (about object's visibility, positioning, scaling, rotating...) is could be really useful and necessary information (Y)
And God... I WANT TO SEE MORE SMILEYS IN THIS THREAD ;-(

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy