Melbourne 2013 [WIP]

Posted by ramf1v 
Melbourne 2013 [WIP]
Date: April 11, 2013 04:21PM
Posted by: ramf1v
Hey guys, here's a quick preview of uniform sectors and new Hi-res fence textures for Melbourne, I also added upright fence poles, there's tons to do and more to come..enjoy.
Fire me a pm if you want to test the track, it's very beta at the mo' , but feedback is always helpful, also I'm very limited on the resolution for recording videos, and can't use AA on my laptop, so if someone is up for making a HD preview (with oodles of AA & AO) let me know.

I'm using F1virtuals Melbourne 2012 beta as base for my work.

Uniform sectors are difficult to do in GP4B without a huge amount of work, there's always a lot of stretching, and this is an attempt to eliminate it.
Fence texture is 2048x2048, hopefully there won't be performance issues. ;-)

Before....

After....

Before....

After....

F1Dev

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2013 12:15PM by ramf1v.
Awsome.(Y)

" Perfection is not a gift ....... it comes with practice."

Member of R.S.C.T Group
Simply stunning :ooo fantastic work!
Thanks guys, here's a few fence styles I've made, there's still a few more to do, I'm trying to make the fence's as accurate as possible.

F1Dev
Looks great so far, but what is meant with uniform sectors?
iaquinta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks great so far, but what is meant with uniform
> sectors?

I'm sure laurent will give a better explanation, ;-) but....even fencing around the track, basically uniform fence / rail sectors, like the track sectors.
Currently fencing is created like this....

I export the fencing and import into Max, create a spline from the fence outline, and "normalize" the distance between the vertex, (roughly 4.898 units )

This way the track walls, adverts, and fences are all the same width, as in real life on the track.
I can accurately place specific fence panels and posts to match the track layout exactly, to do this in GP4B would be a huge task.
If you look at the video, you can see all "sectors" are identical. There are a few that vary in width, like the ones the marshals stand behind, (bottom picture of fence style previews) but easy to place using this method.
The old fence texture is generic, the new one is accurate as in real life, so I needed to be able to map it accurately, the best way was to control the mapping with the mesh.

F1Dev

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 09:41PM by ramf1v.
That every fence part of the track has the same width. Fences at every bank sector have the same mapping values. In turns the outer banks width are wider than the inner banks. The mapping stays the same, as a result the fences are looking to stretched or cropped.

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Turbo Lover Wrote:
> That every fence part of the track has the same
> width. Fences at every bank sector have the same
> mapping values. In turns the outer banks width are
> wider than the inner banks. The mapping stays the
> same, as a result the fences are looking to
> stretched or cropped.

hehe, you could have saved me some typing

Also I've added post's to each side, for more detail and a greater sense of speed....

PM me if you want to try out the track for yourself, you can never have enough beta testers for this stuff :-)

F1Dev
Re: Melbourne 2013 : Uniform Sector & Fencing Test
Date: April 11, 2013 09:54PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Every fence is 16 feet width instead of being sector dependant.
;)

Date: April 11, 2013 10:14PM
Lo2k Wrote:
> Every fence is 16 feet width instead of being
> sector dependant.
> ;)

4.898m = 16ft 053⁄64in

Check this link for details....I raised the fencing base to 3.5 units and the tops to 1 unit, I thought the tops looked too big in the preview, need to adjust.

Grand Prix Safety Barriers

F1Dev
Hey guys what's the easiest method to adjust corners in GP4B ? I'm making Melbourne pit entry more accurate, red is the old track, green is the new one I made in Max
I've tried manipulating the sectors but they are rotating rather than moving, is it possible to move track sectors at vertex level? Snapping to the vertex of the new mesh would be the easiest way.

thx

EDIT : Unchecking "Force 16 feet distance" when moving sectors works, but is there a way to smooth out the corner, or is it just a case of trial and error tweaking ?

F1Dev

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 08:48PM by ramf1v.
Date: April 23, 2013 06:57PM
Posted by: Lo2k
Imho the best way is to use the Add button\Multiple sectors, enter the new curve value (you can try several times up to finding the good one) with keep existing sectors unchecked.
In fact it won't add sector in this case but rewrite existing ones.

Date: April 28, 2013 12:14PM
Thx Laurent, but a bit fiddly, I think I'll leave the dat edits till the end ;-)

I had a few hours to spare so made the new style temporary stands, I "think" this style was used from 2010 onwards, other than a few minor differences they are pretty much the same.

Small Building (Main Straight and turn 2)

Chicane Building (Turn 1)

GP Advance Building (Main Straight)

more to come........but it's the weekend... I need some beers :-) (B)

F1Dev
Date: April 28, 2013 12:42PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Looks amazing!:-)
Date: April 28, 2013 10:41PM
Posted by: shep34
ramf1v Wrote:
> Thx Laurent, but a bit fiddly, I think I'll leave
> the dat edits till the end ;-)
>
> I had a few hours to spare so made the new style
> temporary stands, I "think" this style was used
> from 2010 onwards, other than a few minor
> differences they are pretty much the same.

> GP Advance Building (Main Straight)
> [imageshack.us].
> png
>
> more to come........but it's the weekend... I need
> some beers :-) (B)

A personal favourite building of mine this one, the GP Advantage Bar. Spent many hours in this building admiring the scream of F1's roaring past. Love these updates you are doing to Melbourne!! Will look forward to its release, so i can give this new GP Advantage stand a nod of approval each lap i drive there....(B)

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Re: Melbourne 2013 [WIP]
Date: April 29, 2013 04:57AM
Posted by: auscain
Your fences for Australia are going to be impossible to for me to beat so I guess I will have to help you with some fiddly track stuff;-)
Date: April 30, 2013 07:05PM
auscain Wrote:
> Your fences for Australia are going to be
> impossible to for me to beat so I guess I will
> have to help you with some fiddly track stuff;-)

Cool , I will take you up on that offer.....I just don't have the patience for .dat creation. ;).

I had a bit of spare time so started work on Turn 01, new runoff and marshal positions....

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 08:47PM by ramf1v.
Date: April 30, 2013 10:06PM
Posted by: Turbo Lover
Top notch work again. (Y)

Somehow the buildings look if they are inflatable. ;-)

My Grand Prix 4 Files

I'm a total dick. How many people can say that?
Date: May 01, 2013 04:38AM
Posted by: auscain
Okay then, I will build and map the fences;) When I built my chain link fence for Oran Park, the texture that is, it took me about 3 days so it's not a bad deal for me. Your fence textures look perfect. I will be able to use them at Bathurst and Eastern Creek so thank you for creating the textures(B) Just send me what you have and I will PM you on the weekend.
Date: May 01, 2013 12:39PM
Turbo Lover Wrote:

> Top notch work again. (Y)
>
> Somehow the buildings look if they are inflatable.
> ;-)

Yeah it's weird, In some photo's the roofs look flat, in others they look inflated, either by external winds or what looks like the air conditioning system on all the buildings...I went for the inflated look :)

auscain Wrote:

> Okay then, I will build and map the fences;) When
> I built my chain link fence for Oran Park, the
> texture that is, it took me about 3 days so it's
> not a bad deal for me. Your fence textures look
> perfect. I will be able to use them at Bathurst
> and Eastern Creek so thank you for creating the
> textures(B) Just send me what you have and I will
> PM you on the weekend.

I'm cool with mesh and textures, it's .dat modifying/creation I have little patience with, inputting numbers into boxes doesn't appeal ;), I'd like to trace the elevations/layout from Codemasters mesh, it looks pretty accurate...laser scanned etc.
Bathurst & Eastern Creek fencing is different , If you can provide me with good reference pics (and by good, I mean good enough to see the footprints of the insects) I can make them for you, same for the chainlink fence at Oran Park.
Chainlinks are easy in Max .....Wirefence Script
I used it to build the pitlane exit fence for Yas Marina, but never got round to texturing it...

F1Dev

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2013 12:42PM by ramf1v.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy