Community goes out slowly.

Posted by brudu92 
Re: Community goes out slowly.
Date: February 26, 2013 09:31PM
Posted by: Flash Formula
Great comments on this one :-)
I feel this community is far from dying, it's great that it's still going after all this time with other monster racing sims out there, which are so much better in terms of gameplay and graphics (ie. rFactor 1 & 2, Project Cars and F1 2012)
But if you're new to this community, just remember that this game (GP4) is over 10 years old and is dated, it will keep up the best it can with whatever time it has left.

If you're learning the ropes, just keep at it and write down everything you do and find out, I copied and pasted so much from everywhere in the early days (I still do abit) just in case it got lost or links/websites died.
There are guides and tutorials around and if you have trouble, just ask or even PM people you think might be able to help out, also relationship is the key (the old saying "it's not what you know, it's who you know)

Hope my comments help you guys out :-)
Keep cool :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 09:34PM by Flash Formula.
Date: February 26, 2013 11:09PM
Posted by: truecrysis
ramf1v Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Firstly brudu's english isn't that great, so a
> little reading between the lines is needed rather
> than taking his words literally ;-)
>
> I think brudu's right, there is a gaping chasm
> where tutorials should be as far as GP4 is
> concerned, and I don't think it's "making demands"
> on the authors, it's usually a natural progression
> in gaming communities to develop tutorials, but
> for whatever reason, it hasn't happened in the GP4
> one, and it's perfectly understandable for
> newcomers to wonder where all the tutorials are,
> because they don't exist.
>
> A database of GP4 Builder "How To" videos would
> benefit the community greatly. It would make a
> refreshing change to access information on this
> level.....
>
>

>
> ...than chase around the forum looking for
> outdated information buried deep amongst a bunch
> of 404's.
>
> There's nothing more reassuring than having a
> folder full of reference videos on your HD for
> easy access when your learning new methods

Huh i'm glad you see my video as of a good quality! :)

In terms of GP4 Builder tutorials, i'm hoping to convey my rather limited knowledge into more videos that can help people build new tracks, but as i say its only a very limited knowledge. CSM and TSM can also be covered by me, however modelling i cannot do and never have been able to... Hopefully that will be able a good basis for people to learn from.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: February 26, 2013 11:10PM
Posted by: n00binio
Lo2k schrieb:
> @Soutsen : I just wanted to add that Jimbob wrote
> his own tutorial some years ago named "How I built
> Circuit Rousseau" (a nice name :)) and that was
> available here. Link is down after all that time
> but I still have it on my HDD if someone want to
> have a read of it (I doubt it is up-to-date with
> actual GP4Builder anyway).
>
> Concerning the GP4 Builder User Guide, I'm the
> only one behind it... and yes, that's a lot of
> work. hopefully it started small and was updated
> version after version to reach its actual size.
>
> Finaly there are a few other Track tutorials for
> those looking for them, like Maverick's or
> Zeppelin101's.

just in case: i can add a pitlane tutorial written back in 2005 by a guy called desperado

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: February 27, 2013 10:55AM
Posted by: xandy
everybody is entitled to his or her own opinion I think
so here is mine
GP4 is a 10+ years old game and being that as it is the GP4 community is doing alright

perhaps it is no longer like Die Hard 1 (all new and exiting) but more like Die Hard 5 (quite comfortable and enjoyable)

people from all over the world share part of their pastime (GP4 playing and modding) which in itself is a great thing

every year there are big releases, new tutorials (!) and many many small things - and sometimes there are milestones like the first conversion of the codemasters cars or the camera fix for Valencia last year (these are only example of things that stand out for me)

now is the GP4 community a helpful community?
I don't remember many posts which were not answered in one way or another, lo2k goes the extra mile to help and much is done per pm etc
no - there isn't a big well organized knowledge base
but for me it's part of the hobby to try things by myself (and fail multiple times)
it is not professional work with timetables, project management and division of labor
and imho it shouldn't be
Date: February 27, 2013 11:11AM
Posted by: brudu92
Ok i see some people here are against me
But no problem that was just my opinion and they have just one who understand

Thanks ramf1v
Date: February 27, 2013 11:54AM
Posted by: mortal
No, people are not against you. They merely state the facts as they see them. Just because not everyone agrees with your point of view does not make you, or them wrong. As I said, everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, if the general consensus favours a particular point of view, one must assume it is the way this particular community in general sees it. Although to claim it as such is still a generalisation and an assumption, which may or may not be entirely correct. So, please do not assume that people are against you just because they might disagree with you, that's not how a public forum works, at least not here anyway. :-) From reading the posts, I can see that help is freely available, not all of it is in an easy read tutorial simplified format as you might wish for though. Ask, look to form friendships with the right people, it's true that it is not what you know, but who you know. These things take time, and Rome wasn't built in a day. ;-) This is a friendly bunch, and encouragement is always given where it is due. Carry on. :-)

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 27, 2013 12:58PM
thanks mortal :)
Date: February 27, 2013 01:22PM
Posted by: ramf1v
@brudu it's just different opinions,

If you're the impatient type (I'm guessing you are) then finding the info you need can be a frustrating time, the reference file for GP4 builder deserves an award in itself as it's so comprehensive & well maintained, but I learn best by example and you can't get better than looking over the shoulder of a competent user.
I guess that's what I miss here, is the sharing of workflows, reading a reference file can sound and look complicated as hell, but in practice things are actually quite simple, when you watch someone else work you focus on what you need to do, sometimes too much reference can be overload, and it's so much easier to show someone how to do something, than try and explain it in text form.
I have tried to make/edit .dats, but I've always given up and asked someone else to do it....but I'm the impatient type ;-). I'll stick to modeling and texturing.

The information is here, it just takes a while to get to it....and it is a little out dated....but so is the community ;-)

F1Dev
Date: February 27, 2013 01:48PM
Well said mortal :-) :-)

@ brudu92
Always remember to practice, practice and more practice :-) with modelling, start small and work your way up to bigger things, get the basics down with software like zMod and the rest will follow as it comes to you, just take your time and have fun with it :-)

Date: February 27, 2013 02:38PM
ok thanks :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 02:44PM by brudu92.
Date: February 27, 2013 08:06PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
I think it would be nice to have a FAQ revamped and tidied up.
Lots of links are down and totally useless now. And maybe the list should be rebuild by theme, rather than sorted by updates. It'll be easier to find what we need that way.

Just an idea. :-)

Date: February 28, 2013 07:25AM
Posted by: hasbriale
Brudu92... Its like "Stan" .. By the time u understand.. Damn..! ;-)
Date: February 28, 2013 07:34AM
You compare me like a music of Eminem? Me stan?
Date: February 28, 2013 07:43AM
I'm a little white bursting hunger and I said proudly
Date: February 28, 2013 09:34AM
Posted by: ZaZ
I still plan to come back, but now I am just too busy having three small kids and owning my own company.
Hopefully later this year I will be able to find time to do some nice contributions.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: February 28, 2013 10:49AM
Posted by: vesuvius
Good to hear news from you ZaZ and hope to see you back. best wishes to little kids and for your company.
Date: February 28, 2013 11:01AM
Posted by: rracunis
ZaZ Wrote:
> I still plan to come back, but now I am just too
> busy having three small kids and owning my own
> company.
> Hopefully later this year I will be able to find
> time to do some nice contributions.

Good to hear that you are still around us , hope you come back very soon , take care of your kids and best wishes for the company .
Date: February 28, 2013 03:13PM
@ZaZ
Great to hear you might be coming back :-) I know that feeling having little kids and a company to up with, not easy :-) all the best

Date: February 28, 2013 04:25PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
@ ZAZ:
Great plan! I hope you will come back ;-).
Date: March 02, 2013 05:55PM
Posted by: ThaPumpkin27
I joined this community and game in early 2012 if I remember correctly. As soon as I tried the game it became my favourite F1 game of all time. The community has been really helpful and kind. I never really post anything, maybe a thank you for a good mod or so. I have no skills in track editing or car modeling so i'm pretty useless in that regard. I think many people are doing it the same way as me so I think the community is far from going out. :) Thank you for introducing me to this awesome game and community! I might (Not very big chance as I kind of suck) try making my own fantasy mod with some car templates from GP4DB if i'm allowed.

-Edit-
I really want to atleast try and give something back to the community.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2013 06:02PM by ThaPumpkin27.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy