Community goes out slowly.
Date: February 26, 2013 07:29AM
Posted by: brudu92
many points should be raised as to why.

But nobody understand
If they want to keep alive the communauty

they have to transmit their knowledge.

Not for me about modelling the cars or other but for all the communauty

I just want to keep alive this game because its the better game ever made in the lastest years

just think about this ,the survival of the community depends

Thanks to all who are reading the post or the people who have already read
Re: Community goes out slowly.
Date: February 26, 2013 08:38AM
Posted by: Soutsen
Maybe I'll add a little personal. I think there would be much more number of gp4 game tracks or circuits , if only we had useful tutorials about track modeling in gp4bilder and especially zmodeller. I got zeppelin's and j.maverick's tutors but both of them is very very simple and too primitive. Laurent's gp4builder user guide is only one useful issue i've discovered. I have a plenty of time, and if only I knew how, I would have already done a bunch of tracks. But as long as I explore every step by myself, I'm just wasting the time. But surely i don't think that community soon will be pass away or something. But with what i agree, is that we need more comprehensible manuals.(Y)
ps It just would be nice if someone of the track modeling guru's would create a topic here, where he created a new track from the scratch. A step by step guide or something like that. Project not for one day, it can even lasts a few months, but it would be a great instruction for followers if we got a track created before our eyes.Dog

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 08:39AM by Soutsen.
Date: February 26, 2013 09:48AM
Posted by: mortal
Your topic header denies the fact that that the community is still strong. This site has been active for over ten years, whilst others have come and gone. Every day I approve new users to the site, they may not always post, perhaps they like to lurk, or read the FAQ which is full of useful information, the bulk of it contributed by this community.
The modders on this site are to us national treasures, they give freely of their own time to create beautiful works for the community to share and enjoy. What they do is an art, and these things take time to learn. In the beginning there were no tutorials to make things easy. It is understandable that some do not like to give up their secrets, and who can blame them for that. It takes time, and patience to figure things out, to learn the tricks and the shortcuts of doing things, and not all of us have it. It is a daunting task learning from scratch, it takes determination, and a love of the game. There are still new tracks being made, and the 2013 cars are already on the way, this community is far from dying in my opinion, and to say so because there is a lack of tutorials is incorrect. There are huge track-making threads, and there are 3D modelling tutorials listed in the FAQ. It is not easy, and I doubt that it can be made simple, that is why what we have is of such high quality. The modders have committed themselves to learning the hard way.
That is my take on this community, it is one which I am pleased to be a part of.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 26, 2013 09:57AM
Posted by: TomMK
I think the community is as strong as ever. Sure we've lost a lot of big names but their places are being taken by new people all the time. As an example, I've been around for years and only now am starting to learn about track editing. I just wish I'd started sooner!

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: February 26, 2013 10:05AM
Posted by: filou16
Totally agree with you mortal... About learning from scratch, it is very difficult to achieve on the first try, but do and redo and with the help and guidance of some person, it is gradually improving. But first trial was indeed horrible ... Now I think it is not bad but can always do better ... I do everything in Zmodeler, I know 3dsmax is more powerful but not enough time to get into a new tool!!!
Date: February 26, 2013 10:09AM
Mortal im not here to judge nobody or to be judge
Im just here to post what i see
No more
And i think to be help by modders its good no?
A communauty its to help and share no?
Date: February 26, 2013 10:38AM
Posted by: jimbob1
brudu92 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> many points should be raised as to why.
>
> But nobody understand
> If they want to keep alive the communauty
>
> they have to transmit their knowledge.
>
> Not for me about modelling the cars or other but
> for all the communauty
>
> I just want to keep alive this game because its
> the better game ever made in the lastest years
>
> just think about this ,the survival of the
> community depends
>

I do agree with this post & back in 2006 i was saying the same thing & asking & asking for people to assemble guides for future users......

what pisses me off is the second post where it mentions track editing & tutorials & not one mention of my contribution in that department...
i did a step by step gude for gp4 3d editor at the time after gathering/learning how to get a track made...& always helped on posts & pm questions etc......i had learnt a lot more over the years & with gp4 builder being pretty well built now with features it
is easier than ever to build a track for gp4.
Date: February 26, 2013 10:53AM
I know i have try ;)
But i talk about the pit crew , engineers
Modelling cars i have begin one i am lock in my thread u can see
And nobody to tell me exept (Filou16)

And others people tell put more vertics and horizont lines?
I am a beginner i dont know whos this
For sure i have to learn alone
But im not a magician
Iam a human and i need sometimes a little help

Ps:Modelling tutorial post to see in this forum ;)
Date: February 26, 2013 11:19AM
Posted by: mortal
You miss my point. Nobody has to share their knowledge, what they have learned they have done the hard way. If they wish to share their knowledge, well and good, but to expect them to do it for the sake of the community is another thing entirely. These people have enough expectations placed on them already, without others making additional demands of them. For us to say they have to do it is just plain wrong in my opinion. For them to offer is something else, they do much for us, we are and should be grateful. They have lives, as we all do, and it is unfair to make demands of their valuable time. Do not misunderstand me, it is always good to get help on a project, whatever it may be, however it is up to those who have the knowledge whether they wish to give up their time and their secrets.
What usually happens is if someone is stuck somewhere, they create a thread, appropriately titled relevant to their problem. In other words, ask nicely and you shall receive. The community will respond.
People contribute here because they want to, not because they have to, or because we demand it of them and say they should do what we want. That is why we respect those that give of themselves for the rest of us. We do not and should not make demands of them. If we all did that, there would be no-one here.
The survival of this community is in good hands, those of its members. I do not think that you judge anyone, far from it, and you have the right of freedom of speech and your opinion, as does everyone here. I have given you mine is all. :-)
I do not chastise you, far from it, the point I try to make to you is that these are people, not robots churning things out for our pleasure. To make additional demands of them is unfair. They are our stars, and we treat them as such.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 26, 2013 11:35AM
nobody can blame me for wanting to learn.
Date: February 26, 2013 11:50AM
Posted by: TomMK
(Y) it's great that you are trying Bruno. I wish I could help. I know nothing about shape modelling unfortunately.

=====================================================

Intel NUC 8i3, 8GB RAM, MS Sidewinder Wheel
Date: February 26, 2013 11:53AM
Dont worry ;)
Date: February 26, 2013 12:00PM
Posted by: rracunis
I totally agree with Mortal and I think that the community has been much stronger now than a couple of years ago, even though many Masters have left. Time to learn and acquire knowledge, share the work allowing everyone to use these works without considering these works as a beloved girlfriend, patience and education obviously help someone who wants to improve their skills to get the tricks of the gurus. And having the right to freedom of expression and opinion does not mean this: [www.grandprixgames.org]
In most cases, nice relationships with the members all the time and friendly requests usually help more than the tutorials and this behavior must be a rule and not an exception when we need urgent help .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 12:07PM by rracunis.
Date: February 26, 2013 12:46PM
Posted by: vesuvius
Community is still doing very well, I have been with the game since the beginning and there is still lot of new talents here and some oldies are still with us and heck some old ones have know came back to modding (for example Rene Smith gpxpacth, Flash Formula painting,shaping,track making etc) it's true community is not like it was in it golden years 2003-2007 when updates came every day from several authors but it's still well a live and people do things even more than seen in public for now :)
Date: February 26, 2013 01:05PM
Posted by: celinho
Many masters are gone, new emerged, old masters are back and the Grand Prix 4 remains strong.
This will be very important.
I wish I had more time to learn and devote the art of modeling in ZModeler and 3DMax.
I know more, I want more, but I lack the time needed.

Muitos mestres se foram, novos surgiram, velhos mestres estão de volta e o Grand Prix 4 continua forte.
Isto é muito importante.
Eu gostaria de ter mais tempo para aprender e dedicar a arte de modelagem no ZModeler e 3DMax.
Sei que posso mais, quero mais, mas me falta o tempo necessário.

Célio Jr. - Rio Verde - Goiás - Brasil
Date: February 26, 2013 01:36PM
Posted by: Soutsen
jimbob1 Wrote:
> what pisses me off is the second post where it
> mentions track editing & tutorials & not one
> mention of my contribution in that department...
> i did a step by step gude for gp4 3d editor at the
> time after gathering/learning how to get a track
> made...& always helped on posts & pm questions
> etc......i had learnt a lot more over the years &
> with gp4 builder being pretty well built now with
> features it
> is easier than ever to build a track for gp4.

Hi there, mr. Connors, I am glad to see you over here and please pardon me if I made you angry with any unfair reproaches. I really love all your works and honestly I am really didnt knew what you already done step-by-step tutorial for GP4 Builder. Where can i found this treasure? Please send a link. Or you talking about Gp4 Builder user guide, writen by Laurent with probably your help, and help of some other people as Jon Walton, Addie Walti, Ricardo Lampert, MarioB, Gildoorf, PrBlanco, Duffer and some others? If this is so, then I have already mentioned that I think that this tutorial is the most useful one I had ever seen. Sorry again and have nice day! ...and happy tomorrow day! ...and feel happiness all the way of your priceless future life, cheers!!! (B)

PS and about the community, if you let me. Well, you know, as I think (through even I am an almost newbie) surely community is still alive and doing well, but some real bad things already happened. I mean, we lost GP4Italia, GP4Argentina (with a plenty of mods based on Meteoro's carshapes), MarioB and Tony's grandprixx (with their unfinished Brands Hatch, Anderstorp and Mexico City), we lost a lot of great modders as DaiMOn, 32BOBO32, Maxi, Ruboy, Pimpones... even Mr. Jimmy Connors inactive too). I have nothing in mind, simply telling the truth.

Date: February 26, 2013 02:05PM
Posted by: jakobdylan
the problem is gp4 is dieing slowly .....the gap with new simulator grow up year after year ........ with gp4 no kers no drs etc etc .....
the engine graphic is very old just comparing it with AC and Pcars.......

Date: February 26, 2013 02:35PM
Posted by: ramf1v
Firstly brudu's english isn't that great, so a little reading between the lines is needed rather than taking his words literally ;-)

I think brudu's right, there is a gaping chasm where tutorials should be as far as GP4 is concerned, and I don't think it's "making demands" on the authors, it's usually a natural progression in gaming communities to develop tutorials, but for whatever reason, it hasn't happened in the GP4 one, and it's perfectly understandable for newcomers to wonder where all the tutorials are, because they don't exist.

A database of GP4 Builder "How To" videos would benefit the community greatly. It would make a refreshing change to access information on this level.....

...than chase around the forum looking for outdated information buried deep amongst a bunch of 404's.

There's nothing more reassuring than having a folder full of reference videos on your HD for easy access when your learning new methods

F1Dev
Date: February 26, 2013 02:41PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
I spent a lot of time to make very many mods from the RF.

I always order the permits, and the many times I have refused.

I've always shared my conversion, with this and other communities.

Many times, as "payment" for my mods I have only received insults.

Anyway, I will share what I do.

Long live to GP4!!
Date: February 26, 2013 09:24PM
Posted by: Lo2k
@Soutsen : I just wanted to add that Jimbob wrote his own tutorial some years ago named "How I built Circuit Rousseau" (a nice name :)) and that was available here. Link is down after all that time but I still have it on my HDD if someone want to have a read of it (I doubt it is up-to-date with actual GP4Builder anyway).

Concerning the GP4 Builder User Guide, I'm the only one behind it... and yes, that's a lot of work. hopefully it started small and was updated version after version to reach its actual size.

Finaly there are a few other Track tutorials for those looking for them, like Maverick's or Zeppelin101's.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2013 09:34PM by Lo2k.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy