The GrandPrixGames Race of Champions (Proposal)

Posted by CaptinFranko 
The GrandPrixGames Race of Champions (Proposal)
Date: January 21, 2013 08:57PM
Posted by: CaptinFranko
This is an idea that I have been playing with for a while so please be honest (but gentle) with your thoughts. As the GPGSL will be five years old this year, and there are now several successful series running on the forums I thought it might be nice to try and run an "off-Season" event similiar to the real life Race of Champions and unite the champions from the GPGSL, GPG Nations Cup and F1 Manager. Anyway, the proposed rules are laid out below. Please be aware that this is a very early draft of what I have in mind and I would love your thoughts feedback/ideas/input.

Rule Draft Updated: 23/01/2013

How to Qualify:
GPGSL Top 3
GPGSL Testers Champion
GPG Nations cup top 3 Drivers
GPGSL-3 Top 3 Drivers
F1 Manager Winning Team Boss
2 Guests/Legends.

Schedule:
There will be 4 events, all staged at the same track (although this is open to debate) as follows…

1. 1 hour timed session.

Participants will drive in an hour-long qualifying-eqsue session. Drivers will drive the car that they used in their respective series with car performance set to equal. Driver perfs will be set at end of season perfs without boosts applied. Guest/Legend drivers will use their last published perf.

2. Sprint Race
Using a car that none of the drivers are familiar with, say for instance, one of the snake motorsports chassis, this 5 lap dash will feature a grid drawn at random and and all-out balls-to-the wall dash to the finish line. Again, car performance will be set to equal with driver performance proving the deciding factor.

3. One of two options
A. A race held in Grand Prix 3. This would not only cater for the GPGSL-3 racers but make the series truly cross platform/cross series. Drivers would race in an identical car with performance set at equal and driver perf being the proving ground.

B. A team event/Endurance race. I'm still mulling this one over and not sure how it would work, but I do like the suggestion.

4. The X1 Challenge
This is the true show of a champion. This final, 30 lap race will be the main feature of the event and involve the champions having to use all of their skill, courage and intuition to master the beast that is the X1. Qualifying will be a single lap, as in the GPGSL, and there will be a mandatory single stop for all drivers, to be taken whenever they wish.

Scoring:
Drivers: All events will be scored in the following manner…

1) 8pts
2) 5pts
3) 3pts
4) 2pts
5) 1pt

The driver with the most points after the four events will be crowned the GPG Champion of Champions.

Series/Teams: There is also the opportunity for the different series to earn bragging rights over one another, although this will mainly focus on the GPGSL and the GPG Nations cup, the guests/legends will compete as a team as well.

The drivers points will be added up and put towards their teams(series) total. The team with the most points after four events is the winner.

Perfs:
There are now two/three options with how the perfs could be handled...

1) The version that I originally proposed, which I was never very confident with, in which driver variances were equalised and then qualifying and race performances were used.

2) (My personal favourite) Each series keeps it uniqueness. Under this scheme the drivers would have to use their respective series boost points and tactical chances to win. For example, a GPG nations cup driver would be given a scaled down boost to apply to his/her qualifying or race perf whereas An F1 Manager participant would have to choose which of his three drivers to use in which race. This method would really (hopefully) accentuate the qualities that made the participants champions. Obvioulsy the boosts, especially for the GPG nations cup drivers, would need to be relatively similar, but the strategy would still apply of how and when to use them.

3) Perfs are standardised to a GPGSL level. As suggested in the comments below a countaback would be made to create perfs for GPG Nations cup drivers and the F1 Manager participants drivers.

The Governing Body:

As this would only be an event that happened every so often it wouldn’t need much governance. I would propose a chairman and a supporting party made up of one member from each of the series participating.

Timing: As the respective series on Grandprixgames don’t always run, and therefore finish, at the same time the governing body would need to decide on the best possible time to run the event.

Venue: A shortlist of suitable tracks will be drawn up by the governing body and then voted on.

Guest/Legend Entrants: To be decided and voted on by the governing body. Suggestions may be made but the overall decision would rest with the governing body. By this I mean that we actually get in touch with past champions and ask them if they want to come back for example, If Marko Aleksander wasn't interested in participating he wouldn't participate. I am not in favour of ghost drivers in any series, let alone one that was my idea.

GPGSL - Christel VXR team Boss S6-S8, S12 Onwards

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 03:58AM by CaptinFranko.
Re: The GrandPrixGames Race of Champions (Proposal)
Date: January 21, 2013 08:58PM
Hopefully this all makes sense, please tell me what you think. I have also thought that we could invite the respective champions from the GPGSL-3 series as well. Then the champion can truly be the Champion of Champions. Anways, let me know what you think.

Date: January 21, 2013 09:19PM
Posted by: EricMoinet
That's a good idea, I think, although I don't know how you will have 22 drivers in it.

CaptinFranko écrivait:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 3. TBA
> I’m stuck on this one to be honest. I was thinking that drivers could choose their own cars to race in,
> or that it could be a wet weather track, or a team sprint. But I am again, open to suggestions.

What about an other race with their own cars (meaning, of their respective series) ?

CaptinFranko écrivait:
> I have also thought that we could invite the respective champions from the GPGSL-3
> series as well. Then the champion can truly be the Champion of Champions.

Another good idea ;-)

Date: January 21, 2013 09:24PM
Posted by: Rod_vs
And GPGSL-3??? ;)

One Racing driver and team manager
GPGSL-3: champion in 2007/2013/2014!
GPGSL-4: testdrivers champion in Season 11!
Date: January 21, 2013 09:37PM
Posted by: Rico
To me as a teamboss of an former constructor winning team it makes sense and i think it can be fun.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If in doubt, Flat out."
Date: January 21, 2013 09:44PM
EricMoinet Wrote:
> That's a good idea, I think, although I don't know
> how you will have 22 drivers in it.

It won't have 22 drivers. Just the 9 or 10 that qualify from their respective series.

Date: January 21, 2013 09:46PM
Rod_vs Wrote:
> And GPGSL-3??? ;)

More than welcome, and would truly make it a race of champions series. Infact that might solve the idea for race 3. It could be a race based in Grand Prix 3. Although I really don't know how the perfs in that work.

Date: January 21, 2013 09:46PM
Posted by: Charrel
Holy cow! I love this idea!! But I think we should get a top 3 of both series, in stead of testers series GPG SL.

But this idea is awesome, im looking forward to it! Could be a lot of fun

Race starts: 141 | Points: 886 | Podiums: 35 | Race wins: 10

Follow me on: Twitter | Instagram | Facebook
Date: January 21, 2013 09:52PM
Charrel Wrote:
> Holy cow! I love this idea!! But I think we should
> get a top 3 of both series, in stead of testers
> series GPG SL.
>
> But this idea is awesome, im looking forward to
> it! Could be a lot of fun

Cheers. I'm even working on a logo, but at the moment I am cradling a screaming baby...which is hamering things somewhat lol.

I coulnd't help but think of the potential lineup of Greenhalgh, Van Der Voort, Aleksander, Switzerland et al all together.

I can also see the point about the top 3 from GPGSL. We could do that as well as the testers champion.

Date: January 21, 2013 10:02PM
Posted by: truecrysis
A really interesting idea definitely. Would be good to have a champion of champions, although i would probably be routing for the GPGNC entrants for obvious reasons :P.

For the third race idea, a team even is a pretty good idea, maybe with the teams being GPGSL, GPGNC, GPGSL-3 and F1Manager? Just to chuck an idea out there, this could be an endurance race like le mans?

As for perfs its a tricky one. GPGSL/GPGSL-3 rely mainly on former results to generate good performance, GPGNC relies on clever tactics with boost usage and F1 Manager uses team based choice tactics. Combining all those elements is pretty difficult. One thing i would say is that it probably wouldn't be too difficult to do a countback of previous results for the GPGNC and generate a perf similar to the GPGSL just for this event.
Or even each series could keep its uniqueness. Using Ed as a baseline, GPGSL/GPGSL-3 have a baseline of 16063, GPGNC starts on 16000 but has an appropriate budget to spread over the events, choosing when to be competitive and F1 Manager all 3 drivers have to be used a minimum of x events, so they have to choose what drivers to use when.

Just throwing some thoughts around, as i said sounds great!

Oh and quick edit, would it be the latest champions or historical champions? Or are they both seperate ideas?

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 10:04PM by truecrysis.
Date: January 21, 2013 10:12PM
truecrysis Wrote:
> A really interesting idea definitely. Would be
> good to have a champion of champions, although i
> would probably be routing for the GPGNC entrants
> for obvious reasons :P.
>
> For the third race idea, a team even is a pretty
> good idea, maybe with the teams being GPGSL,
> GPGNC, GPGSL-3 and F1Manager? Just to chuck an
> idea out there, this could be an endurance race
> like le mans?
>
> As for perfs its a tricky one. GPGSL/GPGSL-3 rely
> mainly on former results to generate good
> performance, GPGNC relies on clever tactics with
> boost usage and F1 Manager uses team based choice
> tactics. Combining all those elements is pretty
> difficult. One thing i would say is that it
> probably wouldn't be too difficult to do a
> countback of previous results for the GPGNC and
> generate a perf similar to the GPGSL just for this
> event.
> Or even each series could keep its uniqueness.
> Using Ed as a baseline, GPGSL/GPGSL-3 have a
> baseline of 16063, GPGNC starts on 16000 but has
> an appropriate budget to spread over the events,
> choosing when to be competitive and F1 Manager all
> 3 drivers have to be used a minimum of x events,
> so they have to choose what drivers to use when.

>
> Just throwing some thoughts around, as i said
> sounds great!
>
>
> Oh and quick edit, would it be the latest
> champions or historical champions? Or are they
> both seperate ideas?

ohhhh I like that! The series uniqueness could be the selling point. I may think on that a little more.

Plus I had planned to have the historical champions in the event, as a team with the other racers.

Date: January 21, 2013 10:17PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
You can't have Marko Aleksander without the Martini stripes... just saying ;)

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: January 21, 2013 11:11PM
Now I have put the idea out for general consumption I am going to modify the first post to reflect the current state of the rules etc and then let everyone have a look again. Thanks very much for the positive feedback so far everyone.

Date: January 21, 2013 11:45PM
Posted by: Mullet345
This sounds like a good idea. Not sure how the performance values would be sorted, but they would need to be set so it is fair for the drivers who will take part in the race. I think it would be best to have each series reigning champion in the race, as well as past champions too. And how about the GPGSL and GPGSL-3 champions drive with the team they won their title with? Maybe with the same livery that was on the car as well? And for the 3rd race I think it would be great to do it through GP3 2000. It would make it truly a race of champions.

Date: January 22, 2013 12:54AM
Posted by: truecrysis
Oh and I would be happy to be on the governing body for this if one of the slots remains untaken. As I already run the GPGNC it would make the link betweem them easier. Personally I think having a representative from each league on the board would be a good idea, to represent the interests of each.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: January 22, 2013 12:54AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Seems like a good idea! With the TBA section, perhaps we could have some options with different BHP and failure rates or something like that?

X (@ed24f1)
Date: January 22, 2013 09:46AM
Posted by: shep34
Not totally sold about this idea, as I personally would not be involved, as i haven't been a champ? Guessing that will be the case for many people too...

On another series idea, how about something along the lines of what Nascar do : a season ending/opening pole winners race (taking any/all active pole winners from all seasons) and same with race winners from the past? Just a suggestion....

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Date: January 22, 2013 06:37PM
Posted by: senna9194
I realized right now that this regards me too ;) I'd say that we should drive the same car we won our titles with. For the performances, I think the best option would be to use the GPGSL system(maybe with different points) and keep in consideration only the winning season (as not all the series have been run as long as GPGSL)

My GPGSL Career
Date: January 22, 2013 09:30PM
Okay, rules updated to take account for suggestions that have been made. PLEASE READ THE NOW UPDATED FIRST POST. Obviously this is still a long way off actually happening but I can't thank you enough for all the comments and suggestions that have been made. Please keep them coming.

Once there is a general consensus and an agreed draft of the rules then I will approach the "Governing Body" for each of the respective series to guage interest from their points of view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2013 09:43PM by CaptinFranko.
Date: January 22, 2013 11:29PM
To ensure that people understand how the entry system would work. If we were to run the event now the entrants would be based on the last completed seasons from each series which would mean...

GPGSL
1. Ed Greenhalgh
2. Ruben Greidanus
3. Marko Aleksander

GPGSL Testers Champion
1. Tobias Kederer

GPGSL-3
1. Erick Von Draxeler
2. Marcus De Bruyker
3. Rodrigo Vilela

GPG Nations Cup
1. Sweden: Markus Aspenström (Willward)
2. Netherlands: Maikel de Boer (MDBSnake)
3. France: Jean Girard (shep34) - Tobias Kederer actually finished third so he would qualify with his GPGSL perf.

F1 Manager
1. Senna9149 - Williams

Guests (Generated at random, off the top of my head for this example)
1. Nick Van der Voort - AMR
2. Chris Copeman - Christel VXR (Not that I count myself as a legend in anyway;))

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy