FPS vs PO

Posted by Jakie 
FPS vs PO
Date: April 04, 2003 04:27PM
Posted by: Jakie
Can anyone tell me what the trade off is for FPS vs PO?

If you manually lower the FPS the load is taken off the PO.

Visually I can tell the difference a heavy load on the PO causes. ie game slows down considerably, especially in heavy traffic areas, sky messages etc.

What does a low FPS look like? Is it choppy? How does it affect playablity.

I've tried experimenting lowering the FPS to different rates and although the PO definitely goes down accordingly, which is a good thing, i don't really see any difference in the game.

I guess I'm wondering what I'm losing by doing this!

Thanks,
Re: FPS vs PO
Date: April 04, 2003 05:33PM
Posted by: Vader
FPS = frames per second. If you have 15 fps the game will show 15 pictures per second. If you hev 5 fps it's only 5 pictures and if you have 35 fps you get 35 pictures per second.

The more fps the smoother the game runs, the less fps the more it will turn into a slide show.

Now imagine yourself how precise you can steer through corners if the game only shows 5 pictures per second.

REHAB IS FOR QUITTERS
Date: April 04, 2003 06:01PM
Posted by: Tony
A good trade-off?, Best to keep the PO down (thus a lower frame rate) rather than going for high FPS, which may have your game running very slowly. For example, a 16 FPS game @ 70-80 PO will run/move better than, say, 25 FPS @ 120+ PO (throughout the game that is). I ran (for a few years) "Grand Prix 2" on 13 FPS @ 80 PO (On a Pentium 1 200 MMX)- and was happy with that THEN. It's what you thinks best Jakie, a faster moving game, or a smoother runner, (but slower moving game). As a rule, if you can obtain "sub" 90-100 PO at the start of the race - then the rest will be ok. However, in some circumstances (wet weather/middle of grid etc), you may find yourself on 130+ at the start. I wouldn't worry about this too much myself, because as you go on in the race, you will probably level off to a sub 100 PO anyway (though, IMO, it's always a good idea to keep below 80 PO on a straight with no other cars, because if you are over 100 PO - your FPS are too high. But if your winning, chances are they will be lower anyway:) - unless you catch those "tail-enders"! (Button/Justin etc;)

All the best Jakie

BTW - what system specs have you got?

Tony

Post Edited (04-05-03 01:11)

With the ever increase in technology, the word "impossible" should be used with caution - if at all
Date: April 04, 2003 06:27PM
Posted by: Jakie
Thanks for your help!

My system specs are:

P4 1.6 ghz
WinXP
256mb RAM
GeForce 2 mx/mx400 64 mb
80 gb hard drive
SoundBlaster Live! Value
9.6 patch installed

I get 22 fps @1024 by 768. Haven't changed anything in graphics config since installation of game.

I did, however, upgrade video driver to 30.82. Tried 40.92 and had troubles with other games.

I've always thought I get far too low a framerate for the specs I have!!

At the start of a race, this weekend it's Interlagos, I usually get between 120 and 130 fps.

BTW, the worst I have found the PO bogging down and consequently slowing down the game, is at the Bus Stop Chicane and the main straight at Spa! Obviously very tricky in the braking when this happens!!!

I do have GPX patch 3.34 installed, and disabling sky messages helped somewhat.

P.S. I had/have GP2 as well and loved every second I spent with it. Ran it on a Pentium 100 just fine! Makes you wonder, eh?

Once again, thanks for your interest and your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy