Crowdfunding GP5?

Posted by Ronage 
Re: Crowdfunding GP5?
Date: October 03, 2012 09:41PM
Posted by: Excalibur
Tell me if I am wrong but the source code of the game is no longer the property of Geoff Crammond but Atari's one.
Until the game falls into the public domain as an abandonware, it would not be possible to get it. And once into the public domain, I guess it would cost a lot of money to buy it.

The game was probably coded with a language that actual devs don't use anymore.
It would be probably possible to integrate the new rules and new features but to avoid some technicals limits, time lost and to save money, better would be to start from scratch with a new source engine.

So, unless Geoff Crammond decides to create a new GP5, I think that it will stay a "dream project" ... unfortunately.... , even without the official F1 license.

A project like "Project Cars" community needs a lot of investors and great devs, not only modders. It means people working on it 24/24h and getting paid.

Maybe the GP4 community has got good devs but would it be ingenious to invest people, time and a lot of money into a huge project around an old source code?
Hummm..not sure....

@Ronage: Thanks anyway to share your "dream" idea because it was interesting to read different points of view and to talk about it ! But all ideas starts with a dream, so who knows? :-)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2012 09:45PM by Excalibur.
Date: October 03, 2012 10:19PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
You are such a pessimist...
Live for Speed was developed by just 3 people for crying out loud!

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: October 03, 2012 10:56PM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
Of course we have to admit: It is possible, undoubtedly! But to prove your dream(s) are able to come true, something practical has to become out of this here ;-).

So, are you brave enough?
Date: October 04, 2012 02:07AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
TORCS is an open source racing sim. [torcs.sourceforge.net]
Date: October 04, 2012 09:26AM
Posted by: soulbringer
mclarenaustralia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TORCS is an open source racing sim.
> [torcs.sourceforge.net]

Out of free opensource engines I would pick OGRE.
These guys came a long way already and it shows what could be done
[onlineracingchampionship.com]
Date: October 04, 2012 10:18AM
Posted by: ramf1v
soulbringer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mclarenaustralia Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > TORCS is an open source racing sim.
> > [torcs.sourceforge.net]
>
> Out of free opensource engines I would pick OGRE.
> These guys came a long way already and it shows
> what could be done
> [onlineracingchampionship.com]

Good, but a bit limited and from what i can see, command line based

Maybe overkill, but what about Unreal Development Kit 3 ? Great graphics, huge database of users and support tools, GUI Front End etc, FREE for non-commercial use.

The only question is the physics, can it handle an F1 game?

F1Dev
Date: October 04, 2012 01:04PM
Posted by: xSilvermanx
I'd rather think of: Is someone able to reconstruct the unique GPx-feeling with another engine? These game always were special about the behaviour of their cars, so this is something crucial to get a proper GPx-game. One is always able to make an F1-game with another engine, but i doubt it's something worth being called GP5.
Just something to think of ;)
Greetings
Silverman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy