Crowdfunding GP5?

Posted by Ronage 
Crowdfunding GP5?
Date: September 30, 2012 11:00AM
Posted by: Ronage
Hi Community

I just had a rather strange dream I would like to share with you.

We, the community, raised enough money on World of mass development for Goeff Crammond to start working on GP5 with a small team. The idea was to build on the foundation from GP4 and to produce a modern Formula 1 sim without a license, but with better modding capabilities so the community could work on real life cars, helmets, ads, drivers, teams, tv overlays, etc, etc... Like this, the idea of a crowdfunded game, to show the codemasters bunch how it should be done, would become a reality.

I know it sounds silly, but then again: every great thing starts with a vision a dream or just an idea...
Re: Crowdfunding GP5?
Date: September 30, 2012 11:19AM
Posted by: xSilvermanx
If only this was possible... *starts dreaming*

would totally help with this.
Date: September 30, 2012 12:14PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
Hell yeah, sometimes the best sim games don't need a licence! Anyone play Richard Burns Rally? (Y)
I don't know anyone who wouldn't help contribute to the idea! :-) ;-)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: October 01, 2012 05:55AM
Posted by: mortal
We would require the GP4 source code, and Geoff has already indicated he will not give it up.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: October 01, 2012 08:34AM
Posted by: pirx
I´m dreaming with you guys!

of integration of multiplayer capacity..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 10:00AM by pirx.
Date: October 01, 2012 10:29AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
To stay in reality:
I really think the source code would be more useful, cheaper and more likely archivable. But still the source code will probably cost more than 100,000.- £, sadly :(.

So expecting, 100,000 are enough: How could we get that sum? I promise here that I really would give 100 € fot it! But either Laurent is a millionaire in secret or we would never get that sum :(. And even if - our programmers would have to sell their new developments to get at least a very short part of the investment back...

to dream:
It would be so great to have the new rules and some other gadgets *-*
Date: October 01, 2012 04:24PM
Posted by: xzbobzx
...or we could build it from the ground up?
Date: October 02, 2012 01:38AM
Posted by: EricMoinet
Yep !
Have you heard about projectCARS ?

Date: October 02, 2012 01:56AM
Posted by: klausfeldmann
EricMoinet schrieb:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yep !
> Have you heard about projectCARS ?

No.
Date: October 02, 2012 08:47AM
Posted by: ramf1v
EricMoinet Wrote:
> Yep !
> Have you heard about projectCARS ?

Yes, from what I can tell, In order to join the project and communicate with the devs, you have to pay 1000 euro??? How do you communicate with anyone without investing money ?? I registered but cant see any posts in the forums, a very strange setup. I gave up looking.
I can't even PM anyone in the forum to find out, I need to invest money for that privilege? I don't care how good the game is, the setup and admin is pathetic.

F1Dev

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 08:56AM by ramf1v.
Date: October 02, 2012 10:10AM
Posted by: Dahie
klausfeldmann schrieb:
> To stay in reality:
> I really think the source code would be more
> useful, cheaper and more likely archivable. […]

Consider, by now the source code is roughly 11-12 years old, which is ages in programming.
I expect it to be written in C+, language-wise not much has changed, but the graphics engine - while impressive and amazing how well it scaled over the past 10 years - is outdated and would require a new start to profit from modern technologies. More general, it can be questioned, if the code itself has a quality, that is good enough for future development. GP4's code was never designed for public release and whenever you heare a company released their source code, you can be sure they spent weeks of cleaning up, refactoring and improving the quality, so that people outside the company can actually work with it. Just having the source code would have potential, but it would take a while to understand, let-alone improve upon it. I'd go so far and say, just getting it to compile and start on a modern OS, with todays C++ compilers would be a small miracle.

There are many Racing games out there, even some free and open source. If you want GP5, get in contact with them and tell them, what you require from the game and what they can do to achieve it! This won't still be achieved over night though. Speed Dreams is just one example.

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: October 02, 2012 12:12PM
Posted by: schroeder
well, as far i understood the topic, crammond should not give the code away, he should get paid to work on it. could be an interesting idea !
somewhere i read that he feels like there is some unfinished buisiness with gp4/5...
if crammond could be convinced to update the code to the recent regulations/physics we could get the best simulation ever. if we don´t need all this fancy grafix there are not so many changes to do...
and tracks, cars are already done by the community.
for me, it would be enough to get this things done:
- trackslots
- car/teamslots
- technical regulations for 201x season (incl. tires, fuel, kers, drs, set up, quiali-modus...)
- saftey car
- decent flag rules

did i forgot something?
oh yes, some good explanation about magic-data... ;)

matt
Date: October 02, 2012 12:55PM
Posted by: pirx
schroeder schrieb:

> - trackslots
> - car/teamslots
> - technical regulations for 201x season (incl.
> tires, fuel, kers, drs, set up, quiali-modus...)
> - saftey car
> - decent flag rules

yep, multiplayer!
Date: October 02, 2012 04:00PM
Posted by: xSilvermanx
best option was: Talking to Geoff Crammond, asking, if he wanted to do a 5th Grand Prix-game. Afterwards:
Getting a sponsor. Honestly, without one, this all is only a theory. Wait, it already is one. But for concrete plans, one person or a group with the money to finance it is a must.
Afterwards I'd say talking to Geoff Crammond again. This time telling everything about sponsors and the feeling that should stay the same. But obviously he knows about the last part ;)
Ask him for everything mentioned above in the list, and let him do a roughly on F1 based Formula GP with some fantasy tracks. This deletes the aspect licences. Of course the game should be modable very easy, like rFactor or else.
Afterwards show him prove for everything, and start paying.

If this was possible, congratz. But it won't be, everything theoretical ;)
Ah, yes I know, the above is like a stupid idea ^^
Greetings
Silverman
Date: October 03, 2012 12:02AM
Posted by: EricMoinet
ramf1v
from what I can tell, In order to join the project and communicate with the devs, you have to pay 1000 euro???
I guess no. Afaik you can start with a strongly lower fee with access to forums, but you may know it. Look here at the middle of this page
ELSE
klausfeldmann
I really think the source code would be more useful, cheaper and more likely archivable. But still the source code will probably cost more than 100,000.- £, sadly
AND
Dahie
There are many Racing games out there, even some free and open source. If you want GP5, get in contact with them and tell them, what you require from the game and what they can do to achieve it!
You got it boys

Date: October 03, 2012 08:10AM
Posted by: tumyeto
I also often dream What all can provide enough money for Geoff Crammond that He can continue the series.
If I ever win the lottery, I immediately contact
Date: October 03, 2012 08:24AM
tumyeto Wrote:

> If I ever win the lottery, I immediately contact

Spooky, that's just what I was thinking, one of us needs to win the lottery...instant GP5.....we should set up a lottery syndicate, all winnings go to gp5 development.
The odds of winning are probably better than those of Geoff making GP5 ;-)

F1Dev
Date: October 03, 2012 06:14PM
Posted by: smoglessbutton4
ramf1v Wrote:
> tumyeto Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > If I ever win the lottery, I immediately
> contact
>
> Spooky, that's just what I was thinking, one of us
> needs to win the lottery...instant GP5.....we
> should set up a lottery syndicate, all winnings go
> to gp5 development.
> The odds of winning are probably better than those
> of Geoff making GP5 ;-)

Genius (I)

GPGSL -
GPGSL-3 - Pizza Party Racing manager and driver
Nations Cup - Team Scotland manager
Date: October 03, 2012 07:27PM
Posted by: soulbringer
Or (here is crazy one) just invest in decent game/physics engine (there are number of free ones as well), plus all gp4 know how talents around here and develop something on our own just for fun.
Date: October 03, 2012 08:56PM
soulbringer Wrote:
> Or (here is crazy one) just invest in decent
> game/physics engine (there are number of free ones
> as well), plus all gp4 know how talents around
> here and develop something on our own just for
> fun.

Ok, which one would be best suited to F1 racing ? Who has most experience with these engines and can recommend the best one to look in to ?

F1Dev
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy