Removing the lap limit

Posted by truecrysis 
Removing the lap limit
Date: June 01, 2012 01:48PM
Posted by: truecrysis
Is it at all possible to remove the lap limit (99 i believe) so as to have timed events. I know its possible to go up to about 3 hours worth of racing (99 laps of le petit sarthe), but is there any way of getting beyond this? Either by extending the lap limit to about 999 or by changing the limit to a certain time. I'm talking lengths such as the 24 hours of le mans ;-)

The best alternative i thought of was taking the standings at the end of lap 99, using the custom grid tool and then continuing on from there, but thats not the same, gaps get wiped etc.

I imagine this is pretty much impossible as its hard coded into the game, but just seeing if someone has something? :)

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Re: Removing the lap limit
Date: June 01, 2012 02:33PM
Posted by: Twigster151
I not sure if it's possible to have timed events but a while ago I came across a thread at GP4Argentina where some users managed to 'break' the 99 lap limit. You can find the working links to modified versions of Suzuka (716km) and Le Mans (800km) in this thread [www.gp4-argentina.com] although I wouldn't be surprised if some permissions have been violated somewhere, but it's still an interesting concept nonetheless...

Interested in managing an F1 team? Sign up for the Grandprixgames F1 Manager game here

Date: June 01, 2012 02:50PM
Thanks for that link! I've contacted meteoro45 about it, hopefully should solve my problem :)

Date: June 01, 2012 03:17PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
sent links (Y)
Date: June 01, 2012 05:02PM
I've done a bit of testing, and i've hit a new upper limit of 126 laps. So if you want to do 420km of Monaco or 880km of Spa or even 1000km of old interlagos thats possible.
Anything higher than 126 causes the race to finish the instant the drivers cross the line from the start. Although once you get into quite big numbers (800's i tried), the game just relegates the numbers back down (ie i tried 860 for le petit sarthe, the game gave me 92 laps)
But i still want to increase the limit even more, ideally having a limit of 999, so something like the 24h of Le Mans can be done. I would never do it but still ;)

Any help or solutions would be great :)

Date: June 01, 2012 05:27PM
Posted by: gezere
I guess the number of lap is coded on 7 bits.

Binary bits (7) are : 64 32 16 8 4 2 1

When all bits are set to 1, it means 64+32+16+8+4+2+1 = 127 (that's the know maximum of lap)

In your message you said by setting the number of lap at 860 you got 92 laps.

In binary 860 = 1101011100 so taking account the 7 bits limitation = xxx1011100 and 1011100 = 92..... CQFD

So to reach 999, the alone solution would be to change the code of the exe by coding the number of lap on 10 bits to reach a theorical maximum at 1023....
I am definitively not sure it could be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2012 05:33PM by gezere.
Date: June 01, 2012 05:30PM
Ah that makes perfect sense then, thanks. So from that i gather there's no way to actually go above 127 laps?

Date: June 01, 2012 09:17PM
Posted by: Meteoro405
All I did was, increase to 124 the number of turns in TSM... simple, no secrets... (Y)
Date: June 03, 2012 10:06AM
Posted by: GPGSL
As far as I know Connor, 127 laps is the limit for any track. I've known that for a while now, but until Gezere's rather excellent explanation, I didn't know why :)

Date: June 03, 2012 10:07AM
Posted by: Stoopid
Oops wrong account ... again!!!!!!!

5 x WCC - S5, S6, S7, S8, S10 | 4 x WDC - S5 Nick van der Voort ; S6, S7, S8 Ed Greenhalgh | 2 x WTC - S6 Stuart Ingers; S8 Andrei Sevastian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy