> to not wreck the car on the outlap, especially
> when sitting ontop of a V10.
>
> Though I do remember watching a vid of some 16
> year old kid driving his dad's Benetton F1 car
> around Road America (or one of those courses, I
> can never remember). So basically only the
> insanely rich get to have fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 10:10PM by madotter.
Re: Does anyone have a spare £40k?
Date: January 27, 2012 11:16PM
Posted by: EC83
Great little vid. Also shows how Road America in its current layout would make a great F1 venue(that obviously not allowing for the various alterations they'd do to @#$%& it up in the interests of safety).

Re: Does anyone have a spare £40k?
Date: January 28, 2012 02:02AM
Posted by: J i m
The vast majority of ex F1 cars out there are probably not runners, not many of them will have engines etc and many of the components will be fake or rigged to hold the outer bodywork together. Essentially many end up as 1:1 scale models.

I watched a clip about the Williams Museam, and they say that they only maintain 3 cars at a time to be capable of running for demo purposes like Goodwood. The rest of them have much of the components removed and replaced by rigs and brackets.

I once had the good fortune to sit in a Jaguar R2, the keepers claimed that it had been raced by Irvine and De la Rosa and this may have been true but everything had been stripped out of it, the engine had gone back to Cosworth, there was only a fake flimsy seat, no pedal box. It was effectively a giant 1:1 Minichamps model you could sit in.

It probably takes a lot of effort and money to maintain a f1 in state to be actually driven let alone raced, which explains why EUROBOSS is such a small series and mist historic series don't go past the mid 90's or field cars which used lots of "of the shelf components".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy