2011 Indian GP **SPOILERS**

Posted by Anonymous User 
2011 Indian GP **SPOILERS**
Date: October 27, 2011 08:07PM
Posted by: Anonymous User

Someone else can post all the other stuff - just need a thread before I can talk about it...

From playing F1 2011 (yes, lol, uber accurate) it feels like a crazy blend of Suzuka, Nurburgring, Kyalami and Hungaroring.

There is a sort of reverse "Spoon Curve" in the back end of the lap and I like the turns 5-9 configuration. Also, you can't see on the map but there is a nice hill before turn 3, which then levels off on the turn, like a table-top. The long back straight has some nice elevation changes too.

It is, in fact, the best Tilke track yet. Now I know that that is not saying much, but I'm sorta looking forward to this!
Re: 2011 Indian GP **SPOILERS**
Date: October 27, 2011 08:13PM
Posted by: hasbriale
Me too.............. (Y)

Date: October 27, 2011 08:31PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
yeah I have actually been looking forward to this track as well.
Date: October 27, 2011 09:27PM
Posted by: gav
See, only from playing F1 2011, I felt it was a promising layout which was utterly wasted.

Rather than posting it again, I'll just quote my original post:

Gav
Well something nerdier is that I drove the track in F1 2011, and if that track is a anywhere near accurate (as the other Tilke tracks are in F1 2010), then it's just another Tilke track. Very wide, mahoosive straight, silly, pointless twists and ever-tightening corners. It will probably be billiard-table smooth too.

The first section is like Turkey (only inverted, and lacking as much altitude change), the last corner just screams China.

Turn 10 looks to be up there as one of the most frustrating corners I can recall ever seeing in F1. In F1 2011 you just can't attack it due to that kink on the way out. It's like the Carousel at Road America but then he has a Tilke moment, realises it's a good corner, so @#$%& up the end of it.

I think we realised he'd lost all imagination after a couple of years with China, but this is really just taking the piss.

Bernie, get those guys in who eventually did Singapore - they know how to design a challenging track.

Now, granted, while F1 2011 does generally have very accurate Tilke tracks (apparently they get the blue-prints for the circuits), it can't really be used as a benchmark, though it ought to give an idea.

Back to having a hissy fit, take the back straight. What is the point of having it sag in the middle? If that elevation is natural, make a use for it and make a decent, challenging corner there and have the Tilke Straight® elsewhere. If it's man-made, then what the @#$%& were they thinking? It's utterly pointless.

But unless it's deceptively fast, that Carrousel-like corner (see Road America for those who don't watch motorsports outside of F1) is going to annoy the hell out of me. It looks like he was this close to making one of his few great corners, like the actual Carrousel, then sneezed and remembered who he was.
Date: October 27, 2011 09:44PM
Posted by: J i m
I'm willing to give this a chance. Tilke gets a rough reception all too often, he only does what he's told to ultimately.

Date: October 27, 2011 10:33PM
Posted by: Carlitox
I think Tilke wanted to do something similar to Yeongam, which is a rarely good layout. From T5 to T15 looks promising, but the rest is the same boring stuff.

Seriously, instead of introducing these stupid new circuits, why don't try to adapt or enhance some other nice tracks to fulfill FIA requirements? Tracks like A1-Ring, Zandvoort, Donington, even Kyalami. It would be cheaper and even better for the fans, IMO.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: October 27, 2011 11:24PM
Posted by: EC83
What is the point of having it sag in the middle?

Tilke obviously wanted it to reflect his personality - and maybe his moobs.

Date: October 28, 2011 12:53AM
Posted by: Frantic
it looks like actual Kyalami but backwards

Date: October 28, 2011 02:41AM
Posted by: Morbid
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm willing to give this a chance. Tilke gets a
> rough reception all too often, he only does what
> he's told to ultimately.

I'd like to echo that. At the end of the day, the design process is mired in thousands of wishes from the site owners, safety codes, rules and specifications. Once the design proposal is done, the drivers do lap after lap on simulators, and request a plethora of changes. It is hardly the case, that Tilke dictates a track layout from the whims of his imaginations, and that is what you see reflected in the final product. If tracks are the same-same, it is probably because the design process itself is pretty rigorous in it's demands. If you cook a meal to the same recipe, you are going to end up with more or less the same dish every time, regardless of which chef you might employ.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 02:42AM by Morbid.
Date: October 28, 2011 08:15AM
Posted by: shep34
Let's have a crowd attendance guessing contest for this weekend...LOL
Looking at photos like this, [photos.gpupdate.net] it would appear barely anyone is there. Most locals probably wouldn't be able to afford a ticket to the event.

Hardly surprising, given that India is the home of the mega rich and the ultra poor, with no middle class.....

As for the track, it does look very interesting. Can't wait to see the live qualifying here on tv tomorrow afternoon. Go Webber.!!!

GPGSL Team Owner Debut - Melbourne, Season 8 - present
GPGSL Test Debut - Hungary, Season 4. GPGSL Race Debut - Adelaide, Season 5.
Date: October 28, 2011 10:52AM
Carlitox Wrote:
> I think Tilke wanted to do something similar to
> Yeongam, which is a rarely good layout.

Apart from the three right-left-right sweepers mid-way through the lap I hate Yeongam lol
Date: October 28, 2011 11:51AM
Posted by: danm
how WIDE are those run offs? you could run another three types of motorsport at the same time, with enough room for schumacher to weave.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: October 28, 2011 12:32PM
Posted by: chet
gav Wrote:
> But unless it's deceptively fast, that
> Carrousel-like corner (see Road America for those
> who don't watch motorsports outside of F1) is
> going to annoy the hell out of me. It looks like
> he was this close to making one of his few great
> corners, like the actual Carrousel, then sneezed
> and remembered who he was.

He sneezed.

Still, I quite like the track. But you can tell it is Tilke all over. A shame because it's about time he did something unique.

I prefer this track over Bahrain, Korea, and China.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 28, 2011 01:26PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Apparently Hamilton received a 3-grid penalty for doing his best lap under yellow.

EDIT: and Perez too

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 01:26PM by pankykapus.
Date: October 28, 2011 06:21PM
Posted by: chet
Although I agree that a penalty was given to both. I do think its abit harsh. It looked a confusing situation with the double waved yellows, AND the green board. Still, they both broke the rules, and both were punished. Although I can not recall any event right now, im sure worse has happened, without or with a less severe punishment.

This weekend however is looking like Ferrari, RedBull and Mclaren are as close as they ever have been! That being the case I expect Vettel, Alonso and Lewis to come to the fore with their team mates left behind to battle it out for 4th IMO.

I personally hope Button pulls out something special and get another podium. It would mean quite alot to me if he could maintain 2nd in the WDC. The fact that he has almost equalled his points tally that achieved in 2009 is special imo, and of course yet again a reminder of how amazing Vettel has been.

Overall with the track, I like it. As I said before, it could be alot worse, ala Bahrain and Korea. The dust issue is bothering me though.

Also, what is the tyre wear like here? Seemed almost non existent to me during FP2!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 28, 2011 06:35PM
Doesn't actually look like dust... looks more like fog. It's very strange, don't think I've seen something like that before.
Date: October 28, 2011 08:00PM
Posted by: Morbid
chet Wrote:
> Although I agree that a penalty was given to both.
> I do think its abit harsh. It looked a confusing
> situation with the double waved yellows, AND the
> green board. Still, they both broke the rules, and
> both were punished. Although I can not recall any
> event right now, im sure worse has happened,
> without or with a less severe punishment.

Actually, they didn't break the rules (or at least Hamilton didn't), they broke the gentlemen's interpretation of the rules. For a while, it has been agreed that going faster than 0.350 seconds faster than your standing PB of the session, constitutes speeding under yellow flag conditions. Hamilton backed off by some 0.3-0.4 seconds in the yellow flag sector, but he still beat his PB of the session. The stewards didn't find the slower pace in the yellow flag sector to be an ameliorating circumstance (probably because he had the DRS open), so he was punished. While the punishment might be a bit heavy handed, it is fully legal.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 08:02PM by Morbid.
Date: October 28, 2011 08:25PM
Posted by: RenaultFan
loque Wrote:
> Doesn't actually look like dust... looks more like
> fog. It's very strange, don't think I've seen
> something like that before.

I think that it is dust on the track but the smoggy air give's it a weird haze
Date: October 29, 2011 12:40AM
Posted by: Monza972
It's usual in India to have that kind of a smoggy feel to it. The amount of cars and bikes which run there absolutely pollutes the air. Seen it so many time when I've gone over to India for a wedding of relatives. You land in Mumbai and walk out and bang all you can see is dust flying in front of your face.

In terms of the track, I quite like it. Especially that turn 5&6 bit, the amount of cars that have gone ploughing into that braking zone has been fun too see. Finally a track which doesn't overuse runoffs.
Date: October 29, 2011 09:58AM
Posted by: EC83
I've got to say, this track looks epic by Tilke standards and pretty good overall, especially when you factor in the gradient and the dirtiness/dustiness of the surface. Think we could get a nice surprise this weekend.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy