Re: RIP Dan Wheldon
Date: October 21, 2011 09:17PM
Posted by: loren
Ferrari2007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The IRL/Indycar has turned into the very thing it
> initially stood against. It's now just a bad rip
> off of CART

If they're trying to be CART they're doing a very poor job of it. Still looks to me like they're trying to be an open-wheel version of NASCAR, with the cars running nose-to-tail on these 1.5 mile tracks.
Date: October 21, 2011 10:21PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Look at what the IRL initially stood for when it was created

It wanted to run only on ovals, it wanted reduced costs, to promote US drivers, and no big team domination

It's kept none of those ideals and become everything it set out not to be. A poor man's version of CART

Anyway I've gone off topic so I apologise for that

Now did anybody see the tribute to Dan Wheldon on Sky? I don't have Sky so haven't seen it

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: October 24, 2011 09:43PM
Posted by: slicer
Dan Wheldon was one of my good friend's heroes. My friend was sitting in the stands there at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. He was gutted when he saw his hero die right in front of him.

This is stupid. So much could have been avoided. As for ideas for improving safety, I found that after watching the other video (the flip), I think a good idea would be to raise the nose. If you think about it, the nose on Indycars is just an extension of the floor. It looks in the video that the Penske ran over a good-sized chunk of debris, which acted as a launch ramp as it got stuck underneath the floor. Had a Formula One car ran over that, the front wing would have been punted but the debris would have been deflected by the barge boards after having been passed over by the nose.

I think the raised nose of Formula One cars actually prevents a lot of potential accidents. While it does have an aerodynamic purpose, it doesn't contribute to the overall force of sheer ground effects that the floor does, instead acting like a wing in itself. I think raising the nose of the Indycars would allow debris and other junk to be deflected by the barge boards, and not be disturbed as part of the ground effects like it would do now.

And for the life of me I am hoping IRL will still be around as I just got tickets to the Long Beach Grand Prix over here, and it would be a shame to see that money wasted.

-------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you for noticing I am the most amazing being in the galaxy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy