"Blast from the past !!!" - link posted... Discussion Over !!!

Posted by hasbriale 
Hello Again...

This is my new series of Classic F1 Humor....... "Blast from the past !!!" & "F1 - Fun On The Run !!!"

For those who really know what humor is... My Blog link ...

"Blast From The Past" & "F1 - Fun On The Run"

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 02:58AM by hasbriale.
"Blast from the past !!!" Post # 01 - 1998 British GP
Date: October 02, 2011 12:59AM
Posted by: hasbriale
What the @#$%& has happened to this forum? :\
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What the @#$%& has happened to this forum? :\

This :(

i lol'd at sausage face

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Somewhere....a kitten has died....

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Mr Gav, If you don't @#$%& like the post, read something else...... ;-)
mortal Wrote:
> Somewhere....a kitten has died....

You're right Mortal... RIP Black Kitty Satan... although you're going in Hell(@)

____
hasbriale Schreef:
> Mr Gav, If you don't @#$%& like the post, read
> something else...... ;-)

You need to read something before you can know if you like it or not, unless you're a psychic. Or Chuck Norris.
gav Wrote:
> What the @#$%& has happened to this forum? :\

Is it because Pooky does not post anymore?

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I don't think threads like this are bad for the forums at all. At least they get people posting, which can only be a good thing.

Take 'Andreigp4's ironic Formula1 thread'. I counted up to page 6, after which I lost count and got bored.

116 posts for Andreigp4
14 posts for everyone else.
0 posts which I found funny or ironic, personally.
130 times I logged onto GPG, realised there was a new post in the F1 section, only to realise it was in that thread, at which point I became mildly annoyed.

Now granted, this is all opinion, and GPG may not get many posts in any of the forums I visit (now limited to Off Topic, F1 and occasionally the other non-GPx specific forums), but it's one of the few forums where I respect the posts most make. I can visit most threads in the F1 section, and almost without exception I will respect what I read - I might not agree with it, but the beauty of this forum (post trolls such as Bruno) is that someone can form an opinion, post it, and others will take it in and might debate it without it turning into a fanboyfest. The number of especially sport-related forums on the interwebs where I've seen that I can list on the fingers of my feet.

In short, quantity means @#$%& all. GPG has survived for years now without the need for random @#$%& like this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2011 10:13PM by gav.
EC83
I don't think threads like this are bad for the forums at all. At least they get people posting, which can only be a good thing.

Thanks mate .. Some people don't realize..... (Y)

And for those who don't ... I've already put in the Blog link on 1st post... So they better!!

This discussion is over !!! (N)
gav Wrote:
> 0 posts which I found funny or ironic,

I think that's the ironic part :P

I am all for keeping the diversity of threads here, good and bad, otherwise people might see it as an 'old boys club' with a 'local place for local people'. That opposes the principal of a forum really.

However...

I blame a lot of the miscommunication down to a simple 'lost in translation'. Most of the users in the Off Topic and F1 Forum sections are fluent in English and use it as a primary or secondary language.

What I have seen in the GP4 forum is instances where a lot of the English language be replaced with users of the same country sharing development work in their own language in threads.

Because of that, there is a comfort and conversations go on between themselves.

As English speakers, we have no idea, but they do, and they 'get it'.

Think back to the Funny F1 Captions thread and the 'ipod' jokes. It wasn't THAT funny in the beginning, but the 58th time was a real groan. But the same brackets of people making the joke also 'got' the joke. So something must be right, somewhere.

When posts stray from the norm, and those where English isn't so strong, some of the 'jokes' and 'funny' things are indeed perhaps funny; but they are worded so badly due to the translation issue.

Very much the same way that I have seen about 7 episodes of friends and laughed less times than the number of episodes seen.

The jokes might be funny, but the way they are presented is 90% of the joke being funny.

I think the spam element of seeing all these posts kills the funny factor for us on the receiving end being 'lost in translation'.

Us Brits/Australians have a very particular humour.

I just think we don't laugh so much as 'in your face ha ha funny on a plate' comedy.

We seem to be a bit more dark, and hidden. I think we like the humour in something to be found for ourselves, subliminal-esque.

Dane Cook - American - WHAM IM FUNNY IN YOUR FACE - 0.45s in where he says 'yeah, fans of crime' - bit of an audience interraction >>

I did not laugh up to this point and turned it off....bored...

Ricky Gervais - British - ALSO WHAM IN YOUR FACE, but note the different way it is done. There is an essence of timing, you dont feel spoon fed as much, and you can almost hear your head thinking what he is telling you. Timing is everything. Gervais might be a bad example, but along with Jimmy Carr and Eddie Izzard I find particularly good at timing.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
I can take my topic down if it bothers people. No problem! (B) Or at least held a vote or something. I'm not that kind who gets upset by this.

____
(I) Two posts above...

Again... This discussion is over !!! (N)
gav Wrote:
> In short, quantity means @#$%& all. GPG has
> survived for years now without the need for random
> @#$%& like this.

And I see what you're saying, and a couple of years ago I would've agreed 100% with you. But in the last couple of years, since Bruno and Red 5/Brnco(the two main trolls IMO) got perma-banned, the forums have been pretty quiet and, for me at least, the experience of being on them has gone a bit flat. Don't get me wrong, I also respect and enjoy reading the vast majority of the posts I've seen made here during that time as they've generally been well informed and of a high quality. And I'm definitely not saying particular trolls should be missed - they annoyed me a lot when they were here. But the(relatively) recent discussions here have also come across as very serious and lacking in lightheartedness compared with much older threads, and that's something that's tended to detract from them for me. They are enjoyable to participate in, but when every thread seems to be like that and there are no silly/jokey ones, for me it makes things a bit heavy going sometimes.
That's a minor gripe for me rather than a big issue, and it's difficult to describe accurately in typed text, but it's still something that niggles.

There seems not to be the kind of lighthearted chit-chat that characterised the forums years ago, based on very old threads I've seen like the one about Zcott's sig which recently got resurrected, or the one about Sim's flatmates. I know the forums evolve and change over time as the community itself does, but based on reading threads from only about 3+ years ago, the forums seem to have gone quiet like they've never been quiet in the past, except maybe in the very beginning. That makes me concerned, rightly or wrongly, that there's been a lack of interest in them. A handful of well-informed and well-written posts does trump several pages of @#$%& ones, yes, but for me, when people are posting at least it's showing interest in what's going on.

Regarding the humour thing, I think it's a difficult one because, to pick up on what Dan said, we all have our own idea of what humour is, and we all have different things we find funny(I admit I'm an absolute slut when it comes to humour, I'll find the vast majority of jokes funny, from highly intellectual humour and dry humour to the most basic and horrendous toilet humour, and anything in between. So I laugh much easier than most would). So I won't blame anybody who disagrees with my view.
I guess what I'm saying is, when I see a thread like this, I think "Ah, at least someone's trying to have a laugh and do something a bit different". Again, like Dan says, diversity in the threads.

I guess you could compare it to your local pub you love going to, where it could be packed with everything going a bit crazy but with loads of banter going on, or it could be more subdued with just a few regulars turning up who you particularly enjoy catching up and debating with, but apart from that it's quiet and there's not a lot happening. (Relatively speaking of course - regarding the same forums you mentioned rather than the actual gaming ones, which are still pretty busy.)

Just my opinion, I might just be reading too much into it, I dunno. Members like yourself and Dave and some of the mods, who've been here much longer and seen much more as it was happening, would be well placed to comment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy