Morbid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And that is exactly what happened here. Even if
> you only buy the very mild interpretation of
> Smedley's orders, Massa had explicit orders not to
> let Hamilton get passed him. He cannot have
> doubted, that letting Hamilton get by, was not
> going to be taken well in the team.

Hamilton hit Massa from behind when Felipe was taking the apex! You seem to be implying that Massa either tried some desperate defensive move, or brake tested him or something. It was nothing of the sort, he took the inside line, and was naturally a little slow due to cold prime tyres, a dirty line, and a car that's awful at warming up its tyres.

If we found out that Webber's engineer told him to destroy Hamilton's race at Singapore last year, it would've been a different story, as Webber basically committed to the corner despite Hamilton being well ahead.

X (@ed24f1)
Re: 2011 Singapore GP **SPOILERS**
Date: October 04, 2011 04:49PM
Posted by: Morbid
SchueyFan Wrote:
> You seem to be implying that
> Massa either tried some desperate defensive move,
> or brake tested him or something.

You really have no better come back, than to dream up stuff, that I never said? pffft!

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: October 04, 2011 05:02PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Well just as you perhaps have read too much into Smedley's words, I may have read too closely into yours.

I interpreted your comments as saying that you think Massa was desperate to let Hamilton not get past, and that somehow affected his driving.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 04, 2011 05:28PM
No that is not it at all.

Interpretation is one thing, but your post contains a strawman argument. You misrepresent my position so you can shoot this misrepresentation down instead of the real argument. No one ever proposed the argument you refuted, so in reality, you are only refuting your own misrepresentation. To the casual observer, the original position seems refuted, when in reality it was never even given any attention.

Date: October 04, 2011 05:53PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Even if you only buy the very mild interpretation of Smedley's orders, Massa had explicit orders not to let Hamilton get passed him.

Isn't that kinda what racing is? You know, beating the opposition? Not letting them passed you?

This conversation is beyond @#$%& ridiculous now, so I'm out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 04, 2011 05:57PM
Posted by: LeeBeau
DaveEllis Wrote:
> This conversation is beyond @#$%& ridiculous now

+1

the psychology behind it is fascinating though

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 05:59PM by LeeBeau.
Date: October 04, 2011 06:01PM
Erh, no that is not what racing is. Racing is:

1) getting over the finish line.
2) trying to get a good position.

You do not switch these priorities. Also racing is not selecting a specific opponent from the grid, and then investing your efforts in making sure they have as bad a race as possible.

Date: October 04, 2011 06:31PM
Posted by: Slash
"destroy his race as much as you can"

hmmm, that sounds like hold him as much as you can, take him out of sequence. we need a car on the podium...

Hamilton seem to have interpret the message quite better though... he decided to destroy his own wing without assistance from anybody before anything

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2011 06:35PM by Slash.
Date: October 04, 2011 09:39PM
Posted by: Mitsuro Sano
I'm certainly not a fan of Ferrari and I'm a huge fan of Hamilton ( when he didn't make silly mistake ;) ), but that sentence didn't shock me at all.

Massa was in front of Hamilton and was slower ( maybe a lot slower ) than Hamilton! If I'm correct, Ferrari and McLaren still battling for 2nd place in the constructors championship and Alonso/Hamilton still battling for 2nd place with Webber and Button for the drivers championship. So blocking Hamilton is the right thing to do for the team and for helping Alonso ( without using "bad" team orders... ) when you can't be faster.

And, imo, for the race itself, it's the best way to stay in front of Hamilton. By blocking him ( fairly of course ), Massa could have forced Hamilton to make mistake ( as he did ), to wear more his tyres and to overheat his engine by staying on the gearbox of the Ferrari.
That kind of situation happened a lot ( Coulthard/Bernoldi in Monaco 2001, Webber/Salo in Melbourne 2002 or Heidfeld/Montoya in Silverstone 2006 are the situation I remember... ).

But this time, it's just a matter of word....

( and with the incident of qualifying, yes, that word I think motivated Massa more ;) )
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy