2011 Singapore GP **SPOILERS**

Posted by andreigp4 
2011 Singapore GP **SPOILERS**
Date: September 22, 2011 12:50PM
Posted by: andreigp4
The Singapore Grand Prix is a motor race, currently in the calendar of the FIA Formula One World Championship. It is currently held in the Marina Bay area of Singapore. Upon resurrection of the event in 2008, the first race at the Marina Bay location, which was also Formula One's first night race,[1] was won by Spanish driver Fernando Alonso driving for the Renault F1 team.

Singapore's third Night Race was held in September 2010, in conjunction with a comprehensive 10-day entertainment schedule. Officially known as the Grand Prix Season Singapore 2010, which led up to the final race which included parties, race-themed events, music concerts, exhibitions and dining & shopping experiences.[2]

(Wikipedia)

Track Layout & Circuit Preview:

The Singapore Grand Prix, the Monaco of the East, is one of the slowest of the season as an abundance of first and second-gear bends weave their way through the Marina Bay area of the city. The result is an average lap speed of just 175 km/h (108mph) although top speeds approach 297 km/h (185 mph) down Raffles Boulevard. However its claim to fame is as Formula One's first night race, illuminated by its state-of-the-art, temporary floodlight system that is installed in the week leading up to each race. The lighting system is an achievement in itself with 1600 lighting projectors spread 4 metres apart and suspended 10 metres above the track. (aaformula1.com)

Virtual Lap:

Weather:

(BBC)

Track Specifications:

Laps: 61

Direction: Anti-Clockwise

Corners: 23 (R-9; L-14)

Length: 5.073km / 3.152mi

Lap record: 1:45.599 / K. Räikkönen / Ferrari / 2008

Local start time: 8pm (BST +6)

Slick Pirelli tyre compounds:
Super Soft (red markings) and Soft (yellow markings)

DRS zones:
Detection: 230 metres before Turn 5
Activation: 35 metres after apex of Turn 5

FIA driver steward:

Heinz-Harald Frentzen

Last Time Around:

2010 pole position winner:

Fernando Alonso – Ferrari

2010 Grand Prix winner:

Fernando Alonso – Ferrari

Memorable Singapore moments

2008 - Alonso flies in practice but a qualifying fuel pump failure leaves him only 15th the grid. Yet he ends up winning after his Renault team-mate Nelson Piquet deliberately crashes to bring out a safety car at the perfect time for Alonso's strategy. Although Renault is heavily punished when the scandal emerges a year later, Alonso's win stands. Some good luck with safety car queues and traffic enables Nico Rosberg and Williams to take second despite a penalty, while title contender and pole-winner Massa leaves his pit with a fuel hose still attached - the first in a string of disasters that would dump him to 13th.

2009 - Hamilton takes victory, but the big news is underdog podiums for Timo Glock (Toyota) and Alonso (Renault), with the latter dedicating his win to ex-team boss Flavio Briatore, who had just been kicked out of the sport for the previous year's Singapore scandal... Rosberg and Williams again see a shot at victory lost to a pit penalty.

2010 - No question marks over Alonso's victory this time as he fends off Vettel's faster Red Bull all the way to the flag. A collision with third-place finisher Webber is a big blow for Hamilton's title bid. (ITV)

Scenarios:
Vettel can be crowned Champion on Sunday by finishing in either first, second or third positions, with a number of other scenarios prevailing.

CHAMPION if Vettel wins and:
- Fernando Alonso finishes fourth or lower
- Jenson Button and Mark Webber finish third or lower

CHAMPION if Vettel finishes second and:
- Fernando Alonso finishes eighth or lower
- Jenson Button and Mark Webber finish fifth or lower
- Lewis Hamilton does not win

CHAMPION if Vettel finishes third and:
- Fernando Alonso finishes ninth or lower
- Jenson Button and Mark Webber finish seventh or lower
- Lewis Hamilton finishes third or lower
(http://www.gpupdate.net/)

Debate

How much has the Safety Car been used so far in 2011?
After 13 races in the current season, just four have featured Safety Car deployments - Monaco, Canada, Belgium and Italy. In total, there have been nine deployments, of which five occurred during the Canadian Grand Prix, for a total of 5.5% of the racing laps. By way of comparison, after 13 races in 2010, there had been a total of 12 deployments in seven different races, accounting for 5.1% of the racing laps. The reduction in the number of Safety Car deployments, and the significant reduction in the number of races at which it has been deployed, are perhaps surprising given the increase in wheel-to-wheel racing that has occurred this year. Indeed, the Safety Car wasn’t used at all in the first five races of the 2011 season - the first time this had occurred since 2004, and only the second time in the past ten years. Furthermore, the 2011 season has seen two wet-dry races in which the Safety Car has not appeared at all - Britain and Hungary.

How many laps has the Safety Car led in total this year?
So far, the Safety Car has led a total of 49 laps, equivalent to 218.3 km. Of these, 140 km were accounted for by the Canadian Grand Prix. Indeed, the five Safety Car deployments during this race lasted for 45.7% of the race distance - the longest Safety Car total laps recorded in the past ten years. The next longest deployments were at the 2010 Korean Grand Prix (26 laps, 146 km) and the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix (26 laps, 119 km). The race with the most individual Safety Car deployments was the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix.

Which season saw the most Safety Car use in the past decade?
Since the start of the 2001 season, the Safety Car has led almost 2,500 km - equivalent to approximately eight Grand Prix distances. 75 races have seen the Safety Car deployed a total of 117 times for 510 laps. The season which saw the most Safety Car deployments was 2010, when it appeared 21 times at 12 races, for a total of 7.8% of the racing laps; in total, the Mercedes SLS AMG led a total of 87 laps for 452.3 km, equivalent to one-and-a-half race distances.

Which seasons saw the least Safety Car usage?
The seasons with the fewest deployments were 2001 and 2002, both of which saw just five Safety Car periods. In 2001, Safety Car periods accounted for 2.6% of all racing laps, while in 2002 this figure decreased to 2.3%. Overall, between 2001 and 2010, Safety Car deployments accounted for an average of 4.2% of all racing laps. This means that the 2011 season has seen above-average Safety Car usage;

(thef1times.com)

No chance’ hazy Singapore GP will be cancelled

There is “no chance” the Singapore grand prix will be called off due to poor visibility, race organisers said on Thursday.
It is a cloudy and humid day in the city-state, with weather forecasts predicting possible rain throughout the race weekend.
Additionally, forest fires in nearby Indonesia have cast a haze over the skies, with the pollutant standards index recording a mere “moderate” air quality according to the Straits Times Indonesia.

Together with the risk of rain in the artificial light, there have been suggestions the race could be called off.
Read more at F1zone
I don't have time to post this tomorrow so I thought to complete it today. Better now than Saturday! This topic will be modified, as always, after the weekend with race statistics, so be sure to check in later next week. Enjoy another classic F1 weekend and feel free to comment any of Lewis' incidents. ;)

____
Re: 2011 Singapore GP **SPOILERS**
Date: September 22, 2011 01:36PM
Posted by: flat tyre
Ever the perfectionist, I see :) nice intro once again.

I thought that they were going to change the layout of the track for this year's race? I remember reading that they were going to extend the straight before turn 7 (around the memorial), and remove the chicanes at the end of the lap. Shame it hasn't been done, because it sounded good to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: September 22, 2011 02:17PM
I've checked at F1.com and the track is the same as last year. For some reason I love this track so much but I can't explain why. It so much fun to drive (in GP4 obviously).

____
Date: September 22, 2011 05:20PM
Posted by: J i m
Singapore Grand Prix is a very cool event, the track shouldn't make for good racing because of it's narrow street layout nature, yet so far it's always delivered good races partly helped by safety cars.

The floodlit nature of the event also adds a great atmosphere to it, I didn't think i'd take to it for f1 at first, but it's been awesome.

Date: September 22, 2011 05:58PM
Posted by: gav
I love it because it's a challenge. It's like Monaco - as a race, it's seldom the most exciting, but you know just how much work the drivers are having to do. Hopefully they don't neuter this one too.
Date: September 22, 2011 07:13PM
Posted by: LeeBeau
J i m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The floodlit nature of the event also adds a great
> atmosphere to it, I didn't think i'd take to it
> for f1 at first, but it's been awesome.

This.

It also makes me miss refueling ;)
Date: September 22, 2011 07:52PM
Posted by: matt3454
I hated this track on the f1 game, all the corners seemed the same until you reached that very narrow chicane. Usually makes very good racing though lol.

Date: September 23, 2011 01:13AM
Posted by: Carlitox
Singapore, along with Shanghai and Istanbul are the only Tilke tracks I actually like. A pity that Istanbul had been dropped for 2012, why don't they kick Bahrain out? That track is the definition of boredom.

As for sunday, I expect a great race behind Vettel, like many do. ;-)

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: September 23, 2011 07:58AM
Posted by: gav
Carlitox
Singapore, along with Shanghai and Istanbul are the only Tilke tracks I actually like.

Tilke didn't design Singapore. He came up with a proposal, but another firm designed it.

If it was Tilke, we'd have something more like Valenca, with kerbs miles from the armco, pointless twisty bits, billiard table smooth and, basically, @#$%&. This track has none of Tilke's traits. He probably came up with part of the pits and paddock complex though.
Date: September 23, 2011 10:18AM
Carlitox Wrote:
> why don't they
> kick Bahrain out? That track is the definition of
> boredom.

Money money money.

Probably topped up by some monies.

Date: September 23, 2011 12:07PM
Posted by: Morbid
From espnf1.com's live coverage:

[en.espnf1.com]

BREAKING: There will be a 30 minute delay to the start of FP1 because of track repairs on the Marina Bay circuit. There was an accident in an earlier support race and there is oil and petrol on the track, with a number of marshals working in the affected areas

The end result of all this is that we will have a shortened session. The regulations state that there must be a two hour gap between sessions, and therefore this session will only run for one hour if the repairs are completed on time

I have not tried that before :-S

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: September 23, 2011 12:19PM
That, and they're currently removing many of the kerbs around the circuit. Charlie says that they can cross the white lines that define the boundaries of the track at these points.

Oh and lol @ the snappers having a hissy fit at each other.

Date: September 23, 2011 05:08PM
Posted by: Carlitox
@gav Hmm... so that's the reason why I like it ;)

@J i m Yep, true. Same case as Yas Marina.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: September 23, 2011 06:07PM
Sebastian Vettel's helmet design for Singapore Grand Prix 2011.

____
Date: September 23, 2011 06:25PM
Posted by: PIQUETFAN
I thought Singapura has an ANTI clockwise circuit...;-)
Date: September 23, 2011 08:19PM
You're right! (Y) I wrote this topic very fast because I had only 10 minutes that day. It was this or nothing until Saturday. Corrections are much appreciated as always! Thanks!

____
Date: September 23, 2011 09:46PM
Posted by: pankykapus
Vettel did that layout to deliberately piss off GP4 helmet painters...
Date: September 23, 2011 11:31PM
pankykapus Wrote:
> Vettel did that layout to deliberately piss off
> GP4 helmet painters...

LOOOOL! Or to piss off his painters...

____
Date: September 24, 2011 02:57PM
Posted by: chet
Alonso not as strong in Fp3 as I expected. Certainly did not expect to see JB up there. Albeit 5-6 tenths of Vettel had Vettel got that lap in.

Lewis made a mistake on his quick lap. Better in Fp3 than in Q3 though. Session really looks to be a battle for 3rd. Webber is a few tenths of Vettel but still a few tenths clear of the others. Fight for 3rd and clean side of the grid looks to be one to watch. The way JB is driving I tip him to be 3rd, OR 5th. JB is either amazing, or average in qualifying. So if he has a good run he'll out qualify Alonso and Lewis, if not he'll be happy to sit behind.

Sutil showing some pace this weekend. He's almost a forgotten man at FI. I really hope he gets out of there. Never thought much of him, but a change of scenery must be needed now.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 24, 2011 03:35PM
Posted by: chet
Brundle, "Unloved part of the race track"

:D

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy