Raikkonen to Williams?

Posted by danm 
Re: Raikkonen to Williams?
Date: November 09, 2011 09:00AM
Posted by: danm
But if Kimi has the old magic shining through, and delivers some great performances in what is expected to be a mediocre car; you can definitely see the likes of Red Bull taking a punt at a one year deal for 2013 to replace Webber, because lets face it, do they REALLY think the second best car on the grid is fit for someone down the pecking order like the Toro Rosso guys?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 09, 2011 09:34AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Well the pecking order has to change at some point, otherwise it'll just be the same guys getting recycled around the top teams until they retire. Alguersuari's been impressive lately and I think deserves a chance if he has another good year in 2012. He would at least have more motivation than Webber, most likely.

I guess it will depend if Vettel is willing to take on the challenge of Red Bull hiring Hamilton, Raikkonen etc. for big bucks, or if he'd rather an easier challenge. These sort of decisions will probably determine his legacy and standing in the sport in years to come.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 09, 2011 03:33PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
I really don't understand the excitiment regarding Kimi returning though, we have lots of talented drivers around and all the top seats are full, so why do we to recycle a former world champ. Sure Kimi was awesome, but as Ed said, we don't want to just recycle the same old drivers.

Alguesauri certainly deserves at least at a Red Bull seat. Buemi seems to have been around forever now, without ever doing anything remarkable.

Sutil is the same in that respect, about the only stand out moments of Sutil's career I can remember are when Kimi crashed into him.

I love Barrichello, Trulli, and Schumi, for me they are the last link back to when I first became interested in F1 back in the late 90s, but really they are all far past their best now. It would be exciting to see another generation of drivers arriving into F1.

I'm looking forward to the end of 2012, I can see Massa and Webber leaving 2 big seats to fill, I'm especilly excited to see who Ferrari go with, be it Perez, or Bianchi. I don't think Schumacher will stay so we could see someone like Di Resta in a Mercedes which would be cool. Trulli will most likely of got tired of moaning about power steering, and we could see a young guy at Caterham too, or whatever they are called by then.

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: November 09, 2011 04:02PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
Well, considering that I stopped watching Formula 1 after he left Ferrari, you can see why I'd like to see the dude back :)
Date: November 09, 2011 05:57PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But if Kimi has the old magic shining through, and
> delivers some great performances in what is
> expected to be a mediocre car; you can definitely
> see the likes of Red Bull taking a punt at a one
> year deal for 2013 to replace Webber, because lets
> face it, do they REALLY think the second best car
> on the grid is fit for someone down the pecking
> order like the Toro Rosso guys?

I dunno, Alguersuari seems to be finding his feet.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: November 10, 2011 12:21PM
Raikkonen confirms talks, but no agreement.

[en.espnf1.com]

What do you bet Williams want 3 years, with the arab backing, and Kimi only wants one year.

This could be cut-throat.

Date: November 10, 2011 03:28PM
Posted by: Joe_Satriani
And Rosberg has signed a contract extension with Mercedes: [www.formula1.com]
Date: November 10, 2011 05:37PM
And Schummi. Wow!

Date: November 10, 2011 11:29PM
Schumacher was always signed for 2012, so I don't think he's extended anything yet.

It will be interesting to see if Schumacher can beat Rosberg in the final 2 races and get ahead in the points.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 11, 2011 07:58AM
Posted by: gav
SchueyFan
Schumacher was always signed for 2012, so I don't think he's extended anything yet.

Bild had claimed that he had extended his contract through to 2013, but Schumacher denied it.
Date: November 11, 2011 09:13AM
Yes, I hadn't seen that report when I made the post.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 18, 2011 11:35AM
WTF Kimi looking at buying into the team!?

[www.f1sa.com]

Date: November 18, 2011 12:13PM
Bold ploy from Raikkonen. He knows that Frank famously doesn't want to give up equity (that's how they lost Newey after all).

Of course, having a vested interest in the financial success in the team would probably be a good motivator for Kimi!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 18, 2011 12:34PM
Posted by: EC83
Interesting. Could he become the F1 equivalent of a player-manager?

Date: November 18, 2011 10:53PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I'm not necessarily inclined to believe that particular rumour, though it would be quite good to see. ICE 1 Williams anyone?

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: November 19, 2011 04:49AM
Posted by: EC83
I just want to see him confirmed as a driver again damnit.

Date: November 21, 2011 02:44PM
Looks like a decision will be announced this week! :D

And it gets better... Maldonado is also an uncertainty with questions over the legal side of his sponsorship.

I do wonder if there is a HUGE deal already on the cards from Saudi backing that trumps the $30million Venezuelan cash.

The wait is excruciating.

Date: November 21, 2011 03:15PM
Force India said they'd announce their line-up before Abu Dhabi, so I wouldn't get too caught up in any deadlines the teams may give for announcing something.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 21, 2011 04:57PM
Posted by: J i m
Yeah well... Announcement date doesn't matter someone at Williams will leak the news anyway, they usually do.

Date: November 21, 2011 05:24PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Well we all have de la Rosa's announcement to be excited about at least ;)

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy