Raikkonen to Williams?

Posted by danm 
Re: Raikkonen to Williams?
Date: November 07, 2011 12:37AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
The Bianchi idea has come out of nowhere, which means I have to question the source of the Austrian paper that it came from. Remember, it was translated and we know what can conveniently happen in those instances. Either that or Ferrari have got a lot of money to through Williams way to secure the seat.

The PDVSA backing is rumoured to be in the region of $25 million for next season with increased exposure on the car, which would take some beating to top that, and I don't think he's done a terrible job under the circumstances.

PDVSA and QNB backing with Kimi and Maldonado? I'd take that thank you very much.

Date: November 07, 2011 07:54AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I don't think Ferrari will want to fund Bianchi when Perez has been much more impressive, and has probably jumped him in the Ferrari Academy queue. There's only so many Ferrari seats to fill. However, if they do fund it, I guess it reveals quite a lot as to how their Perez/Bianchi test went a few weeks ago.

I think Pic is more chance at Williams due to his links with Total and therefore Renault. Grosjean or Senna could also end up at Williams depending on who LRGP pick. It would certainly be quite poignant to have a Senna at Williams again.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 07, 2011 02:28PM
Posted by: J i m
Well reportedly Williams are in negotiations. I believe the current sticking point is the company vodka supply.

Date: November 07, 2011 06:32PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Ahhh I had no idea Perez had Ferrari behind him. Explains his Sauber seat tbh, although he's done a great job this year.

To me Maldonado let himself down at Spa, I know it's just one misdemeanour but still, wtf.
Date: November 07, 2011 08:14PM
Posted by: EC83
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> To me Maldonado let himself down at Spa, I know
> it's just one misdemeanour but still, wtf.

I see where you're coming from. It is just one incident at one time, but it's the kind of stupidity and loss of control that you're either capable of or you're not, so it can't not colour a driver's reputation afterwards. It was the same with Webber after he brake-tested Alonso and generally drove like a @#$%& moron at Bahrain in 2004. It was a long time before I could take him seriously as a driver again.

Date: November 07, 2011 08:30PM
Posted by: J i m
Rubens is blabbing on about wanting a decision by Brazil. I think he knows he's on the backfoot now. He hasn't significantly out-performed Maldonaldo and to honest if a Williams was to show a good performance in these final two races you'd expect it to from Maldonaldo.

Even if Kimi doesn't agree terms, then there are the likes of Sutil, Di Resta, Senna, Grosjean etc whose managers will be constantly pushing Williams to take on their driver right now.

Rubens main asset to Williams was experience and technical feedback. Since this years car is far worse than lasts then clearly the relationship is not working. There are drivers out there who would perform as well as or better whilst also bringing in sponsorship.

I think it may be time for Rubens to gracefully join his friends, Zonta, Burti etc in Brazilian stock cars.

Date: November 07, 2011 08:59PM
Rubens would still be an asset to any midfield or back-of-the-grid team looking for a driver who's both experienced and capable. He hasn't set the world on fire this year at Williams, but there have been seasons in the past when he was similarly unimpressive on the face of it, and then at Brawn in 2009 he showed he'd lost none of his form. I think he's still able to shine in the right car and the right circumstances, and whether he stops now or continues in 2012 should depend on whether that situation is available to him or not.

Date: November 07, 2011 09:37PM
Posted by: Morbid
J i m Wrote:
>> Rubens main asset to Williams was experience and
> technical feedback. Since this years car is far
> worse than lasts then clearly the relationship is
> not working.

Sam Michaels already took the fall for that and admitted fault. No need to smear it on someone else.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 07, 2011 10:32PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
sure, michael is leaving an why not blame him for all. but anyway, there is truth in those words as well

look back:

rubens was 11th at turkey
11 th at monaco (both qualies)

and maldonado was 9th in spain. After that it became clear michel is leaving and things started going backwards
Date: November 07, 2011 10:39PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
however:

williams are making big changes, like renault deal for engines, new technical director, and who knows what else. so, i d say it is pretty possible they take 2 new drivers as well.

1) senna and raikkonen
2) senna and barrichello
3) senna and suti/di resta would be good. not hulk however. they didnt seperate on good terms, so i cant see nico being overwhelmed with a drive there, it would rather be a non alternative situation

On that note of potential new drivers: WTF does sutil has to go ?? i am really not a big fan of his as a character, but he has nearly 50 percent more points that di resta ?? and this, despite his trouble full2-3-4 races around the boullier scandal.
Date: November 07, 2011 11:00PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Sutil's kinda reached his potential, and he's had quite a few more seasons than Di Resta in F1. I don't ever see Sutil really setting the world alight.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: November 07, 2011 11:38PM
Posted by: RAC5
Maldonado isn't going anywhere, apparently his sponsor says that a Venezuelan driver has to be in the car.
So obviously, it means Rubinho is the guy who will go.

If this supposed Qatari deal goes through, we will see Kimi in, if not i think it will be Sutil, with the Hulk taking his seat at Force India.
But if Kimi gets the drive, I don't where Sutil would go.

Will D'Ambrosio keep his drive? Virgin are running Robert Wickens in Friday practice in Abu Dhabi, assessing him for next year?

Then there is the randomness of HRT.;)
Date: November 08, 2011 12:26AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
dunno about anyone else but i've been quite impressed with HRT this year, barring that terrible livery. they've beaten Virgin on more than one occasion and there has been distinctively less bullshit from Kolles and in a way he reminds me of Boullier.
Date: November 08, 2011 12:31AM
Posted by: Morbid
mitadumapaga Wrote:
> sure, michael is leaving an why not blame him for
> all. but anyway, there is truth in those words as
> well

No one blamed Sam Michael. He openly took responsibility for the lack of progress. That is completely different.

> look back:
>
> rubens was 11th at turkey
> 11 th at monaco (both
> qualies)
>
> and maldonado was 9th in spain. After that it
> became clear michel is leaving and things started
> going backwards

How Rubens and Maldonado pair up in qualifying or even in the race, has nothing to do with the ability to develop the car. In fact, before the testing ban many x-f1 drivers found work as full time development drivers, if they didn't have the speed to race the car on Sundays.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: November 08, 2011 08:15AM
Posted by: gav
Williams' downfall coincided with Michael being promoted to Technical Director. Whether or not that's down to him, inexperience in the rest of the team, budget cuts or whatever, the fact remains that they've been the slowest established team for what seems like the majority of the season, and have been going backwards steadily over the past decade.

I agree with Jim though. As much as I love Rubens, the guy has been little better than Heidfeld this year, and is now being beaten by his less experienced and arguably mediocre team-mate. As with Heidfeld, his experience has gone and his consistency has been... inconsistent. I'd be pushing for one of the new teams if I were him.
Date: November 08, 2011 09:08AM
Rubens won't get a drive at one of the new teams. Lotus already has enough experience, Virgin has Glock and needs a pay driver, and HRT has Liuzzi signed up for a multi-year deal and will probably keep taking the Red Bull money to field Ricciardo or Vergne.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: November 08, 2011 06:38PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I believe that Virgin should keep D'Ambrosio. He's done a very good job considering the machinery he has and has been on a par with Glock.

In addition, if I ran Toro Rosso, I would keep Alguersuari who has been far more impressive than Buemi this season. I would partner him with Riccardo and would then let a team like HRT, Williams or whoever else doesn't have a fully confirmed list sign Buemi.

If Buemi went to HRT, that would free up both Williams seats. I would imagine they'd keep Maldonado (for PDVSA) and then get some Abu Dhabi/Qatari/rich backers in order to pay Raikkonen's contract.

This would leave Force India to use Hulkenberg and Di Resta for 2012, leaving Sutil as a standby option if Kubica fails to make a return.

Just a thought.

But most of the shakeup will come in 2012, mainly as Webber, Schumacher, Massa and (I believe) Hamilton are out of contract...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2011 06:43PM by Incident 2k9.
Date: November 08, 2011 06:48PM
Posted by: danm
That's why I think Kimi is using Williams as a launch pad for 2012.

Sutil, as I said earlier, is well out of the frame, he is like a reserves, reserve.

I don't know why Force India aren't telling him where to go - maybe because they have those elusive constructors points and money at stake, and Sutil could fudge them over by knowing he is released.

Sutil should be very worried.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: November 08, 2011 07:45PM
Well if you go glassing people, it's bound to come back and bite you on the ass sooner or later.

Date: November 09, 2011 04:47AM
I don't think Kimi has ahy chance of a top drive in 2013. Red Bull might like the idea for promotional purposes, but they already have a long list of drivers and like drivers who have come up their ranks, like Vettel. Ferrari won't have him back, and I can't see McLaren changing their line-up and taking him. Mercedes is an outside chance, but who knows if Schumacher will even retire next year.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy