Raikkonen to Williams?

Posted by danm 
Now the thread doesn't look so silly, does it! :P

I predict Rubens will be shunted to Renault to fill in the development void they badly need as a part time team leader, whereby Senna and Petrov share the second seat.

When Kubica comes back, I expect one of the two to be given the full term seat, and I get the picture it won't be Petrov. Money or no money.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2011 09:44PM by danm.
loque Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Link:
> [www.planetf1.com]
> konen-has-signed-Williams-deal-
>
> I still say it's bollocks until confirmed by
> someone other than Taki Inoue or "some dude on the
> ground in India".

Kimi Raikkonen is, at least according to rumours in the Indian GP paddock, on his way to Williams next season, having signed a deal.

Ever since he walked away from F1 at the end of the 2009 season, parting ways with Ferrari and failing to secure a return to McLaren, rumours have persisted saying the Finn will return.

The latest, which emerged in the week before the Singapore GP, claimed that he is in talks with Williams regarding next season and even visited their factory in Grove.

However, at the time, his manager Steve Robertson downplayed the visit.

"At the end of the day people know Kimi visited Williams, but there's nothing more to say apart from that," he told GPUpdate.net. "There is nothing more to report."

But, according to PlanetF1's man on the ground in India, Chetan Narula, rumours in the paddock say not only is Raikkonen in talks with Williams but the Finn has in fact already signed a contract to race for them next season.

You can follow Chetan's Indian adventure on Twitter...

CHET!? LOL!!!

raikkonen signed with williams? it must have money (a lot) and this is what is missing to build a car (chassis) better this year. i doubt very much that kimi has signed, moreover does not have the profile that williams need and just won a championship because felipe massa left over by team (maranello) orders ;-)

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
;-)

[translate.google.com.br]

----signature--------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE => Physics (under FIA Technical Regulations)
MagicDatas? Setups? Pit Stop Strategies? Track Specific Performances? Up2Date GP?
Power Torque Curve? Where's this stuff? All download is available at ..
I am beginning to see something now with other drives for 2012.

Just why are Force India holding back their decision on Sutil and Di Resta?

You'd think it was something about him heading to Williams, right? (Sutil)

Fudge that. I think Raikkonen is a well and truly done deal. Doors closed.

But Sutil and Force India?

Maybe not.. Maybe they actually don't want him at all, but are keeping the option to have him, only IF they need it. As a last resort.

Rosberg hasn't signed for 2012 yet. He seems to be the marker man.

If Rosberg is on his way somewhere, with suggestions Massa is under fire at Ferrari, Mercedes has a void.

Di Resta isn't signed either. When he easily could be.

It makes you wonder, why isn't Di Resta signed? Unless he too is waiting for confirmation at Mercedes, where he is likely to end up if not at Force India!

So if Rosberg commits to Mercedes on the dotted line, everything falls into place. Force India keep Di Resta, and Sutil is gone. Nowhere!

If Rosberg moves, Di Resta goes to Mercedes, and only then does Sutil have a place.

Sutil's days are numbered!

Thoughts!?

Although I would concede that Raikkonen at Williams might not be quite as fantasy land as first thought and I'm actually warming upto to the idea. (it's probably suicidally insane for both parties, but it can't exactly get any worse at Williams right?).

I think neither Raikkonen nor Rosberg are keys to the current driver market. Rosberg as far as I'm aware is committed to Mercedes and they to him. Schumacher is now consistent again (consistently good) is enjoying F1 and hence I don't see an opening at Merccedes for 2012. Whilst a promotion to Mercedes for Di Resta is a creditable prediction it's not going to happen for at least another year so remaining at Force India is his best option, though Anthony Hamilton is busy pestering the paddock just in case he loses his drive there.

Personally I'd promote Hulkenberg over Sutil, yet Sutil has an annoying habit of hanging on in there. I sense it's force India or nothing for him because the only other creditable seat open apart from Williams is at (Lotus) Renault and I expect his glass flailing incident earlier in the year might have closed some doors to him there. I doubt his has enough sponsor pull to fund a drive at Virgin or HRT. Toro Rosso is a no because Red Bull already have enough drivers in their pool who they're itching to try out.

Raikkonen is not a key to the market because as much as we all love him, his form at Ferrari will have dented his reputation. He turned down good opportunities to stay in F1 and those opportunities were seized by others. The only team who might want him is Williams and that's more out of desperation than anything.

Finally the last jigsaw part is Robert Kubica, can he get fit enough? Boullier is waiting for his answer otherwise he has to throw Romain Grosjean into the pit with Bruno Senna to fight it out for the chance to partner Petrov.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2011 04:38PM by J i m.
A line-up of Di Resta and Hulkenberg would be much better in the long term for Force India than Sutil. Sutil's done a good job this year, but I think he's reached his potential, whereas there is a lot of room for improvement for Nico and Paul, and they have age on their side.

X (@ed24f1)
Jim - Curious. Why would you say Kimi to Williams is suicidal for both?

Williams will only get him if they get the money from Qatar. So it will not be a great cost for Williams. Kimi has kept active, kept racing I dont think it will take him long to get back into the flow of things, and we know just how much a top line driver makes to the mid field. Look what Nico did at Williams. Certainly put it in places where it should not have been. Likewise there's Kubica at Renault in 2010.

Kimi to Williams is only good as far as I see. I am probably biased because Kimi IMO if he wanted to be could be the quickest thing on 4 wheels, and of course I love Williams so any decision they make is the perfect one :p.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Williams are, for once in recent times, going AGAINST the norm.

They don't enjoy spending lavish bucks. They're thrifty. Cheap pay drivers of late are NOT working. This is either a last chance saloon; or a media tactic to sell the team on.

But years of thriftiness haven't got them anywhere, not since they had BMW and decent consistent-ish drivers such as Ralf and JPM.

So Kimi would be something fresh in many ways - fresh to the scene again, AND more importantly, a driver actually capable of a good performance with results to show it.

Who was the last Williams driver with those credentials to enter the team?

Rubens? Too soft and forgiving. Rubens in a way had this once upon a time, but his age counts against him on that front. A developer, yes, but that's it these days. Webber? No. Heidfeld? No. Rosberg? Too young. The other rookies since? Hell no. It's been years since they had a totally capable driver out the box and ready with a history.

Years since a pre-packaged driver; and years since a win. Coincidence?

I am not saying Williams will u-turn in one season. God no.

But this is totally unlike them recently, and I can only see this being good.

Who knows, they could end up shunting Maldonado sooner than they thought - I don't know what his contract is, but throwing the Williams in the odd unexpected place will generate genuine sponsors, and not pay driver ones.

Thinking long term, hypothetically.

The problem with Williams goes far beyond the drivers.

If Kimi does drive for Williams, I'm sure I'll enjoy it very much but it'd be short term. On his day Kimi can be incredible, but he's also what I call a "plug & play" driver.

If the car is there for him then he'll get results, but he's not going to drag a car upto his level.

I wouldn't rule out a Kimi-Sutil partnership at Williams.

Sutil does bring sponsorship, though I'm sure not as much as Maldonado, but I did read murmurings early last week of a chance of both of them being at Williams next year, should Kimi sign.

I still struggle to think of it as anything but a fairy story. While it seems universally accepted that it's all but signed, how the heck could Williams or all teams tempt Kimi Raikkonen back to F1? I'm still struggling to get my head around it. :\

All we need is Jacques, Mika and Damon announcing shock returns (and former 2 were both being rumoured of considering returns only 2 or 3 years ago), and we'd have the full set of champions all the way back to Alain Prost! ;)

It's pretty unique that we've got all the World Champions from the past 11 years still driving anyway!
Kimi was barely able to keep his motivation to get out of bed in the morning with a championship winning car. What would possess him to drive that piece of junk Williams call a car? I don't see this happening.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
the old Kimi... no

but allegedly he has changed recently and has discovered new motivation.

Re: Kimi Raikkonen visits Williams Formula 1 team Didcot factory
Date: October 31, 2011 11:30PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
As I said... it's bullshit until officially announced :P
Morbid Schreef:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kimi was barely able to keep his motivation to get
> out of bed in the morning with a championship
> winning car. What would possess him to drive that
> piece of junk Williams call a car? I don't see
> this happening.

I don't think it'll happen either, but I also don't think that Kimi wasn't motivated.
To me, he always looked motivated, but numbed by the media circus that was involved.
Maybe driving with one of the lesser teams, where PR is less important, will let him shine (again)

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Re: Raikkonen + Williams? / Rosberg + Ferrari?
Date: November 01, 2011 09:42AM
Posted by: danm
Rosberg and Ferrari rumour mill begins!

[www.f1sa.com]

Date: November 01, 2011 09:58AM
Posted by: ZaZ
Source: Bild
So quite unreliable.
Plus the fact that it is Bild about a German race driver, so super unreliable.
But you never know...

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Date: November 01, 2011 11:33AM
[www.thesun.co.uk]

Renault talking up their part in helping to get Williams back on track.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 11:34AM by danm.
Date: November 01, 2011 01:36PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
It'd be interesting to see a Massa/Rosberg swap. Massa would do wonders in a fresh environment, and back with his old friend Schumacher, and we'd get a chance to see how good Rosberg really is (I'm tipping he'd be smashed by Alonso).

Still, it's probably just a ploy from Rosberg to increase his value. He can't afford too many games though, because his performances this year haven't been that eye-catching.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 01:36PM by SchueyFan.
Date: November 01, 2011 02:40PM
Rosberg is disappointing me. He had so much promise, but like a bottle of coke that's been shook up and released, after a few great fizzes, it's like everything else is now flat.

I can't decide if it is the car; or the fact he isn't a very aggressive driver.

Other drivers seems to waltz past him on their day, yet Schumacher seems to be able to fend for himself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy