Raikkonen to Williams?

Posted by danm 
Raikkonen to Williams?
Date: September 16, 2011 10:16PM
Posted by: danm
Erm, woah wtf hello huh!?

[www.f1sa.com]

The rumour mill is rumbling on Friday with the news Kimi Raikkonen made a visit to Formula One team Williams' Oxfordshire factory.

The sport10.at (Austria) and plaza.fi (Finland) websites said the famous British team had confirmed the 2007 World Champion was given a tour.

Reports said it was Adam Parr who showed world rally driver and former Sauber, McLaren and Ferrari driver Raikkonen, 31, around the Grove facility.

The Finnish broadcaster MTV3 also reported the news and said Williams had confirmed Raikkonen's visit indeed took place last week.

The reports said Raikkonen's visit was for "personal reasons", but speculation that he might one day return to Formula One has been circulating ever since he left the sport at the end of 2009.

Williams' Pastor Maldonado is regarded as having a solid seat but the Venezuelan rookie's team-mate Rubens Barrichello is still seeking a deal for 2012.

"We are talking day by day so we just need to see," Brazilian veteran Barrichello told The Sun newspaper at Monza.

"I wish we had done a deal already but it's taking a little longer. The team is taking everything into account and they know what I can offer," he said.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2011 03:02PM by danm.
If Raikkonen turned down Renault there is no way in hell he is going to join what is currently the worst of the established teams in F1.
He was allegedly there visiting the new Jaguar project which Williams are partners in. Williams have many ventures these days outside of F1.

Even if he was interested, there's no way Williams could afford him.

X (@ed24f1)
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even if he was interested, there's no way Williams
> could afford him.

Dunno about that as atm Kimi is paying to get a change to drive.. :P

Kimi, so, Massa Fernando Sebastian is faster than you. Can you confirm you understood that message?
There are so many reasons why this doesn't sense, let alone that Williams will not be able to afford the kind os salary that Kimi is likely to demand, but Kimi will want a car capable of winning, Williams will not be able to provide that.

maybe Kimi is thinking about Le Mans, notalgia, and a possible new entry...

Le Mans, yeah but it's probable that he'll be with with the cockwank of a team that is Peugeot.

Williams seem unable to regain their former glory (sorry to all who watched their mid 1990s domination).

I feel that if they keep going as they are there is a risk the team might decide to stop.
No need to apolgise for calling it like it is, Williams will always be my favourite team but their current form is embarrassing, I doubt they will ever recover to win in F1 again.

If it were 2010 and Kimi had signed for Williams it would be amazing.

Kimi has had two years out. Would he have lost the edge? I hope not because I still believe he has what it takes to take on Alonso, Vettel and Lewis and easily come out on top. It's easy to say he wasn't motivated during his time at Ferrari, but I do believe as good as they are, Kimi COULD be better.

We saw what a top driver could do for an awful car with Lewis and Alonso in 2009. Kimi would surely be putting that Williams in better places than Rubens and Pastor if he came back. Even with the two year gap IMO.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Guys, not sure if its slow news week; or just because its a GP weekend and its topic time, but there is a lot more chit chat about this.

Rubens seems very unsettled by things he is saying across interviews/twitter, its almost like he KNOWS he won't be there next year.

Williams surely wouldn't field two total rookies by getting that tester guy?

I think something really might be going on, this is certainly more than the Renault rumours...

And Norbert Haug reportedly went to visit Kimi in Switzerland over the Silverstone weekend allegedly to sweet talk the idea of a return.

This could be a ploy by Williams to attract more sponsor money. Kimi will sell, his fanbase is mega. They seem to be having a massive shakeup for 2012. New engines. New designers. New Aero chiefs.

OK so they won't win the WCC, but its a biiiiig change!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2011 11:28PM by danm.
Rubens should not keep his drive though he has shown nothing this year and getting beat by a rubbish team mate, if he was as fast as his mouth is he would have no problem.

As for Kimi going there not so sure, he hates car development.
Dare to say it but..Kimi to Mclaren maybe...Button out?Anything happen right?;-)
Merchandise sales would probably pay off most of Kimi's contract alone, even if they don't bring in any sponsors! ;)

I would like to see Kimi back in the F1 just for the spectacle, just as it's nice to have Schumacher back.

Flying Finn Wrote:
> Dare to say it but..Kimi to Mclaren maybe...Button
> out?Anything happen right?;-)

Kimi had his chance to go to McLaren in 2010 and said no, so I don't think McLaren would ask him again - particularly if they don't have enough money to pay Button properly reportedly.

X (@ed24f1)
danm
Guys, not sure if its slow news week; or just because its a GP weekend and its topic time, but there is a lot more chit chat about this.

Yeah, I noticed that yesterday, but there wasn't a single quote or source mentioned anywhere I looked. It's all just referring to the fact that Kimi was in the Williams factory.... they completely ignored the other projects going on there.

I maintain that if Kimi wanted to return to F1, he'd either need assurances that Williams was going to be a regular points scoring team (highly unlikely in view) or that he'd join a bigger team... there's a vacancy at Renault if Kubica isn't ready, and that's the only realistic place for him in my opinion.

He's not going to return to F1 to fight for 15th place with the odd chance of a point.
gav Wrote:
> He's not going to return to F1 to fight for 15th
> place with the odd chance of a point.

That, plus he also had the opportunity to already go to Renault (I think), but turned it down. I'd only sense a Kimi return if there was a proper chance of a drive in one of the top three teams. McLaren seem very happy with Hamilton and Button, Vettle can effectively name his terms at Red Bull and Webber is likely to stay and even when he goes it seems that Ricciardo or Alguersauri are primed as his replacement... And Ferrar? Ah yes that's right, Kimi was dumped instead of Massa to make way for Alonso.

I wouldn't count Kimi returning as a 100% no go though.

He has been good on his flirtations in NASCAR and Rallying. Good, but not spectacular.

His downfall? Again, the notorious lack of preparation/commitment in setting and developing those skills.

He really is from the 70's mould. Turn up, drive, go home. That's it.

He's burnt his bridges with the WRC because he couldn't be bothered to set his pace notes and undergo lengthy preparations for each event. He was allegedly lazy, hence always a few seconds off at various corners and whatnot. They all add up. Let alone not bothering to go to Oz, so his team, not him as a driver, were disqualified.

NASCAR wasn't too hot, for Kimi didn't like the excessive fan interaction and PR junk that goes with it. So that all boiled into very little.

F1 is what he did, and probably the only thing he wouldn't need to put as much effort into.

He is very naturally gifted, but I do now wonder if this two year period has given him a mental shakeup slightly. He could be a changed man, even if only a slightly changed one.

On the other hand, lets face it, what else will he race next year?

Le Mans is more or less his only bet, since he tested for Peugeot.

So maybe the meeting was only for the Jag visit.

Or a PR stunt to attract sponsors/investors/possible buyout/selling of Williams and using the Kimi story to gain media coverage, of all weekends when F1 is on the pages, Vettel could wrap the title up...

Thinking outside the box here...

Yeah Kimi is definitely a plug and play driver, I think you might be a bit harsh on the drivers of the 70's though. Even before that era there were some very professional drivers, Jack Brabham actually used to build his car himself, Bruce McLaren was equally mechanically dedicated, Graham Hill was obsessive in the way he went about developing and setting up his cars. In the 70's you had Jackie Stewart who is still regarded as one of the most obsessively professional drivers to this day and also Niki Lauda was meticulous at Ferrari.

I think you're thinking more towards the James Hunt template, and even Kimi isn't nearly as extreme as the Shunt ;-)

Apparently Kimi can do the young driver test?
I really really really hope he comes back! And really hope its Williams.

I love Rubens but Kimi will no doubt get more out of that car. Look what Kubica did at Renault last year?

Frank needs to realize the money he pays out for Kimi will most probably come back in pretty quickly with results he can achieve. In the mid field bunch the driver is by far the biggest asset for a team. Not money. I honestly believe if he comes back he will be strong enough, and his talent alone will see Williams in positions like they were in often in 2009 with Nico.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy