2011 Hungarian GP **SPOILERS**

Posted by andreigp4 
Re: 2011 Hungarian GP **SPOILERS**
Date: July 31, 2011 04:11PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Well to be fair it's only rained once before in 26 years at the Hungaroring iirc, so it's probably not fair to compare yet. Great drive from Jenson, nice timing with the 200 GPs thing. I'm a bit disappointed for Lewis but fourth isn't so bad, he responded maturely, and the car is obviously improving.

Date: July 31, 2011 04:15PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
jbnd05 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well to be fair it's only rained once before in 26
> years at the Hungaroring iirc, so it's probably
> not fair to compare yet. Great drive from Jenson,
> nice timing with the 200 GPs thing. I'm a bit
> disappointed for Lewis but fourth isn't so bad, he
> responded maturely, and the car is obviously
> improving.

Going by the rest of this season, and how Pirelli created above average races at circuits which have not provided good racing in the past, it's safe to say they had a hand in it. Even if you credit the rain, it's still Pirellis tyres doing that. And when it was dry we still had brilliant action.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 31, 2011 04:17PM
Posted by: jbnd05
Of course, I'm just saying that generally, today was a bit of an outlier when viewed in the spectrum of Hungarian GPs.

Date: July 31, 2011 04:25PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
Another cracking race in 2011

I agree with Dave, Pirelli have had a lot to do with the excitement

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: July 31, 2011 04:45PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
jbnd05 Wrote:
> Of course, I'm just saying that generally, today
> was a bit of an outlier when viewed in the
> spectrum of Hungarian GPs.

I'm not so sure, 2008, 2009 and 2010 were interesting, if not spectacular, races, and of course 2006 was a classic.

This is probably one track where Tilke's modifications actually improved the track.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: July 31, 2011 05:34PM
Posted by: EC83
Cracking race, and sweet drive by Jenson.

Did Heidfeld's car have a volcano in it?

Date: July 31, 2011 09:53PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
On the topic of Heidfelds explosion, I'm not sure why there is any confusion over it. The exhaust runs passed the KERS battery. There were electrical sparks before the explosion. The smell as electrical. It was the KERS battery. The ECU battery is on the right hand side.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: July 31, 2011 10:54PM
Posted by: gav
It doesn't look big enough for a battery explosion. If you've ever seen even an AA battery thrown on a campfire (not me!), then you'd expect something a hell of a lot bigger than what we saw today, and a hell of a lot more damage.

To be honest, I'm expecting it just to be a small hydraulic reservoir or something.
Date: August 01, 2011 01:05AM
Posted by: danm
great angle of Heidfeld's car and the debris here >>

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
That video shows more clearly how lucky that marshall was!

I don't know what Charlie Whiting was thinking to not send the Safety Car out for that one. There was debris over the track, a wet track that is, in which drivers were getting up to speed on cold tyres. Then to tow the car back uphill against the traffic seemed needlessly dangerous.

X (@ed24f1)
Just watched Hungary! Germany tomorrow soon when I find a place to get it :p!

Awesome race and drive, difficult without live timing, but JB really looked to handle his tyres well, closing the gap on Lewis at the end of the stints. Without Lewis being a prick trying to take out di Resta and going on to inters, I reckon JB would have given him a run anyway!

Huge brainfade from Lewis with the incident. Horrible decision and should have got more than a penalty IMO.

edit - in the room before the podium.. On the wall next to the large tv screen with the timing info on there is a picture of a Brawn car. What is it does anyone know? Where the weighing scales are.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2011 12:21AM by chet.
Date: August 04, 2011 12:50PM
Posted by: J i m
To be fair to Lewis, he would have been in the way of the traffic behind him anyway. I don't think he deliberately went out to impede Di Resta. The penalty was 50/50, it was harsh but not entirely unwarranted, and I think he'd have expected to receive it anyway. It was still an excellent drive by him, controlled aggression and also a good recovery to get back up-to 4th.

His post race reaction was also far more measured and professional... he's learnt to behave himself a bit better since Monaco.

It was also a good win for Button, I don't think his performance was superior to Hamilton's though, equal to, but not superior. Vettel and Alonso would have also been worthy winners, had they won as well imo.

This is one of the brilliant things about F1 at the moment, we have 4 champions in competitive cars still pretty much at the top of their game.

Date: August 04, 2011 08:07PM
Posted by: Morbid
J i m Wrote:
> This is one of the brilliant things about F1 at
> the moment, we have 4 champions in competitive
> cars still pretty much at the top of their game.

+1

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: August 04, 2011 08:40PM
Posted by: EC83
To be honest this current era of F1 reminds me of the early 80s-early 90s. We have several top drivers all evenly-matched enough to be in with a chance of winning any given race, all with their characteristic strengths and weaknesses in suitably different areas to make for fascinating races between them.
The only slight shame is the fact there's one guy with a huge Championship lead.

Date: August 05, 2011 12:53AM
Posted by: chet
Yup! We would have had one of the greatest second half seasons ever.

What's amazing though is that despite having not won for the last 3 races Vettel has always extended his lead. This is what won Button the championship. He never bagged the wins, but he was always in the points and any dent on his lead was minimal really.

Let's face it, there are 200 points left, and Vettels lead is what 75 points (ish??). Honestly, there's no chance someone else will win but watching Alonso, Lewis and Button try will be amazing.

My rather bold prediction for the rest of the season is that we will not seen any more than a single RBR win.

I think Alonso will win Spa, and Suzuka, with Mclaren (prob Lewis) winning Monza, Singapore and Abu Dhabi then Brazil likely being a RBR win with India possibly favouring Mclaren.

Jim, I disagree about Vettel and Alonso being worthy winners. Alonso's issue was his mistakes. He looked the quickest when he didnt have someone in front, or was making mistakes. Whilst Vettel just looked ordinary.... If Alonso hadnt made the mistakes he did I suspect he had the pace to win.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 05, 2011 01:08AM
Posted by: andreigp4
It's not Vettel's fault that he's leading a bunch of "unlucky" drivers. But you make your own luck...sometimes. This season is over. Hopefully, next season, the FIA will award only half the points for the races broadcasted by the BBC... (I)

____
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy