Rolliant Robin

____
Re: Volkswagen considers F1 in 2018
Date: August 06, 2011 10:52AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I never understand automotive companies making
> such long term projections for things like this.

Because the decision to throw £500m at a sport you haven't entered before isn't one that is made overnight.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 07, 2011 01:49AM
Posted by: chet
DaveEllis Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I never understand automotive companies making
> > such long term projections for things like
> this.
>
> Because the decision to throw £500m at a sport
> you haven't entered before isn't one that is made
> overnight.

You knew what I meant so don't give me an over simplification...

2018 is a long while to go. Who knows what could happen to the sport, or to VW before then? And as I said, we have major technical changes coming up with known and agreed regulations. Why not work to known targets.

If VW enter F1 in 2018 I will eat my socks. It just seems like they said something to shut the press up. Seems like they just gave an answer to stop the questions..

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 07, 2011 08:36AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It's not over simplication. The VW Group currently have Audi in LMP1, and Porsche will be running against them. Two works teams? They are about to have Toyota enter that battle too. They are also going to continue works support Porsches at Le Mans (a battle they are losing to Ferrari right now...), and they have been looking at supplying engines for LMP2, to challenge Nissan.

They've also got the countless Porsche series around the world, new DTM rules, new Grand-Am rules (to evaluate), new SuperGT rules (related to the Grand-Am rules). There is also a WRC shake up to come before then, which they'll be involved in.

They have so many entries in so many series, that the decision to throw £500m at an F1 project (especially given the infamous failures of BMW, Toyota and Honda) whilst having this much to run is a *huge* decision. They need to wait on the other series stabilising, seeing how F1s new rules pan out, and seeing how there own future is. Whilst they may be able to afford it now, and whilst it may look like a good decision now, there are so many major series about to go through massive changes, that it may not e by the time arrives. They also have to remember the attempts of Porsche and Lambo in the 90s. Didn't go too well.

They also did not say something just for the sake of saying it. It is no secret that companies which Bernie has tried to lure F1 have been Mastercard (who screwed up massively with the Lola failure), Coca Cola and the VW Group.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: August 07, 2011 11:04AM
Posted by: J i m
On the face of it from a manufactures point of view, the past 20 years of F1 have been dominated by Renault, with only Ferrari and Mercedes having any sustained success during that period.

Due to their history with Williams, McLaren and Senna, Honda were expected wipe the floor with everybody again... and what happened? They got a handful of poles, and about 3 wins, 2 of them via Mugen.

Toyota came in with a supposedly blank cheque book, the sheer size of their commitment made the whole paddock fear them, everyone believed it was only a matter of time before they won and dominated. And what... handful of poles and not a single victory.

In that time...

Renault won countless races, and championships in 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 05, 06, 10 with Williams, Benetton/(Enstone team) and Red Bull.
Ferrari took titles in 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 07, 08.
Mercedes with McLaren & Brawn triumphed in 98, 99, 08, 09.

That's 20 years of F1 when the only manufacturers to be involved in a F1 championship victory were Renault, Ferrari and Mercedes, the might of Honda, Toyota, Ford and BMW achieved practically nothing between them.

Looking at it that way, why would VW Group who are heavily involved (and successfully) in several forms of sports cars ruin it all to take on Renault and Mercedes in F1, F1 is the backyard of Renault and Mercedes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2011 11:06AM by J i m.
Date: August 07, 2011 12:08PM
Posted by: truecrysis
J i m Wrote:
> Looking at it that way, why would VW Group who are
> heavily involved (and successfully) in several
> forms of sports cars ruin it all to take on
> Renault and Mercedes in F1, F1 is the backyard of
> Renault and Mercedes.

For the pure fun of owning an F1 team ;-).

In all honesty, i wouldnt be surprised if VW do enter the sport in 2018, how well they would do? Remains to be seen. But that comment does strike me as something more of a desire rather than an actual plan. Its like me saying "i want a porsche in my garage by 2018". Its do-able, and the resources are there, but there is no actual plan behind it, its just something they would want to do.

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: August 07, 2011 12:58PM
Posted by: J i m
I think they're a bit too pragmatic for that. They aren't going to enter F1 simply because they want to.

It's all about he conditions being right for them, remember at the end of the day their business is selling cars, not "wanting to own a F1 for the fun of it."

Date: August 07, 2011 02:20PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I think part of the reason for the scepticism is that they already apparently committed to join F1 in 2013, under a four-cylinder engine format, and then back-flipped on their word.

It'd be great to see VW in F1, but I'll believe it when I see it.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy