Re: 2011 German GP **SPOILERS**
Date: July 24, 2011 08:31PM
Posted by: EC83
davidm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't think he has the best start? Schumacher
> was 225 points in the new format after 10 races in
> 2004. He had also won 9/10 not 6/10.

Yeah, but you're forgetting his DNF at Monaco.

Date: July 25, 2011 09:53AM
Posted by: davidm
I was'nt forgetting that - just that Vettel now has 216 from first 10 races.
Date: July 25, 2011 11:53AM
Posted by: alexf1man

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2011 11:54AM by alexf1man.
Date: July 25, 2011 01:29PM
Posted by: flat tyre
^ I know people are comparing that to Senna and Mansell already, but did anyone else notice the eerie similarities? The driver with the yellow helmet and red overalls hitches a lift on the blue and yellow car...

Also, one thing that bugged me about the race - everyone was hyping up Hamilton's move around the outside of Alonso through turn 2. But, why did nobody say that for Webber's move? I know the overtake didn't work, but if anything Webber had it more difficult, because the car he was trying to overtake was going much quicker. IMO, Webber's attempt was much more exciting, whereas Hamilton's move was simply going past a car who's driver fell asleep.

I hope that it wasn't British bias by the BBC, and that I genuinely missed something...?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 25, 2011 01:46PM
Posted by: pankykapus
At last a genuinely good race with 3 different but equally fast cars. Now let's have this series ruined in Hungary, although if the weather stays like this, some rain could make it less tedious. ;)

It was nice to see that the DRS zone didn't do the same as in Turkey and the main passing zone was the start-finish straight. As much as I don't like Hamilton, I have to say he really deserved it, the top 3 couldn't spare a moment to rest so obviously the quickest and most consistent driver won.
Date: July 25, 2011 02:35PM
Posted by: truecrysis
pankykapus Wrote:
> At last a genuinely good race with 3 different but
> equally fast cars. Now let's have this series
> ruined in Hungary, although if the weather stays
> like this, some rain could make it less tedious.
> ;)
>
> It was nice to see that the DRS zone didn't do the
> same as in Turkey and the main passing zone was
> the start-finish straight. As much as I don't like
> Hamilton, I have to say he really deserved it, the
> top 3 couldn't spare a moment to rest so obviously
> the quickest and most consistent driver won.

Now the hungaroring is a really great track, you just don't want to admit it ;-)

I agree on the DRS thing, it was good to see it get people close and sometimes help overtaking, but not manufacture it as such, and that there was probably more overtaking on the start finish line. whether this was because of the drs a little bit before, argueable.

@flat tyre: Of course it was british bias from the bbc ;). In all honesty i can see where your coming from, Hamilton simply drove round the outside, where with webber he actually had to fight, and a little push onto the astro meant webber couldnt get passed. But as hamilton is british bbc think his overtake is better, of course :). Not saying i agree, the webber one was a better move/attempt to watch

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: July 25, 2011 02:52PM
Posted by: pankykapus
truecrysis Wrote:
>
> Now the hungaroring is a really great track, you
> just don't want to admit it ;-)
>
> I agree on the DRS thing, it was good to see it
> get people close and sometimes help overtaking,
> but not manufacture it as such, and that there was
> probably more overtaking on the start finish line.
> whether this was because of the drs a little bit
> before, argueable.
>

The Hungaroring is fun to drive around but the tight slow corners and short straights don't help overtaking wise and the race is often a bore to watch.
Date: July 25, 2011 03:28PM
Yeh i agree, i find it a really good track to drive around, but then recently the races havent stood out as "classics" apart from the odd underdog winning races.

Date: July 25, 2011 11:22PM
davidm Wrote:
> I was'nt forgetting that - just that Vettel now
> has 216 from first 10 races.

But finishing record is most important. A driver, for example, who has finished on the podium in the first 10 races but won 5 of them will be seen as having done better than a driver who has won 9 of the first 10 but DNF'd one along the way.
Lewis in 2007 was seen as having outdone Schumacher too.

Date: July 25, 2011 11:36PM
think something like that depends on how you see it. Some would judge it on performance (amount of DNF's/wins), but some would judge it on stats (points/average position). Im afraid to say im the 2nd and would class 9 wins and 1 DNF to be a better start than 5 wins and 0 DNF. Not that im trying to start an argument or say that im right ;-)

Date: July 26, 2011 01:30AM
Posted by: n00binio
EC83 schrieb:
> davidm Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I was'nt forgetting that - just that Vettel now
> > has 216 from first 10 races.
>
> But finishing record is most important. A driver,
> for example, who has finished on the podium in the
> first 10 races but won 5 of them will be seen as
> having done better than a driver who has won 9 of
> the first 10 but DNF'd one along the way.
> Lewis in 2007 was seen as having outdone
> Schumacher too.

in that case schumacher's 2002 season probably is the best so far

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: July 26, 2011 03:08AM
I was going by the views on the BBC of the race and of Vettel's season so far. It's actually a touch one to judge, since whichever way you look at it you have a point. I'm a completist, so whoever finishes the most races on the podium gets my vote(As long as they've won a few races and it's not all P2s and P3s), although winning more races naturally will tend to get more respect from people.
And, yeah, in terms of race results MS in 2002 won't be beaten by Vettel this year.

Edit: Saying that, so far this season Vettel has scored a higher percentage of the points available than any other driver during their whole season, including MS in 2002. It's a question of whether he can keep his pre-Nurburgring form up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2011 04:42AM by EC83.
Date: July 26, 2011 08:07AM
Posted by: davidm
"Edit: Saying that, so far this season Vettel has scored a higher percentage of the points available than any other driver during their whole season, including MS in 2002. It's a question of whether he can keep his pre-Nurburgring form up."

I don't think this is quite right. Vettel has scored 86.4% of the points available to him this season. Michael scored 86.0% in 2002 but 90.0% in 2004 for the first 10 races. Of course as you say he has to keep up his pre-Nurburgring form considering how Schumacher went after 10 races in. Sorry all these stats are a bit sad but its 7.05 am and I'm putting off starting work.
Date: July 26, 2011 11:38AM
no problem, im a bit of a stats man myself, so based on the stats MS in 2004 is doing better than SV in 2011, thats how i see it. Well anything to put off work ;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy