FIA announces 15,000 rpm limit

Posted by madotter 
FIA announces 15,000 rpm limit
Date: July 01, 2011 02:04PM
Posted by: madotter
"The FIA has announced that the new 1.6L V6 turbo engines will have a rev limit of 15,000rpm and will still ensure Formula One has a unique sound.

There has been speculation of what the limit would be as Bernie Ecclestone and the circuit owners had voiced their concerns at the sound of the new engines. After Adrian Newey told BBC Sport in Valencia that he expected the limit to be "around 14,000 or 16,000", the FIA announced in a Q&A press release that the limit had been agreed on a middle ground.

"This parameter has been updated from 12000rpm to 15000 rpm to allow engineers more flexibility in power and energy management," the FIA release read. "However, as a consequence of the new architecture (V6) and the change in rev-limit, the engine will sound different, but will remain representative of Formula One."

See full article - [en.espnf1.com]

What do we think?
Re: FIA announces 15,000 rpm limit
Date: July 01, 2011 02:34PM
Posted by: Nickv
I really have no idea. If they sound anything like the old ones, I can't really complain. But since we're 25 years on and technology has advanced, they might not sound anything like the old ones.
Date: July 01, 2011 03:30PM
Posted by: flat tyre
I think we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm looking forward to it. I think that this is the one of the closest engines from history that you could find: a 710bhp Honda V6 1.5 turbo, revving up to 14000rpm, with turbo limited to 2.5 bar. Listen to when he floors it on the exit of the chicane. If it's anything like this, I'll be thriilled - especially as, only a couple of years ago, I found this video and dreamed of hearing engines like this again :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Date: July 01, 2011 04:26PM
Posted by: Slash
i really loved the 3.0 L V10's, they sounded like animals... you could hear the fuel being injected and exploding in the engine, it was that good...
Date: July 01, 2011 05:54PM
Posted by: truecrysis
I'm hoping it does sound something that video above, that would be amazing... I for one would be a very happy viewer! We can just hope...

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
Date: July 01, 2011 08:39PM
Posted by: loren
I liked it better when the rev limit was whatever you thought your engine could stand. And if it did blow up, you didn't get some absurd penalty for changing it.
Date: July 01, 2011 09:10PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
loren Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I liked it better when the rev limit was whatever
> you thought your engine could stand. And if it did
> blow up, you didn't get some absurd penalty for
> changing it.

You don't get a penalty now. You've got 8 engines a season, you only get a penalty if you have to use engine no.9 at some point.

It won't be exactly like the above as the engine output will be about 200-300bhp short compared to the qually engines of those days, with the output power staying the same as the current V8 at around the 730bhp mark.

Date: July 01, 2011 09:46PM
Posted by: n00binio
my guess would be that frequency wise it should be about the same as back in the 80s due to the similar rpm (so around 250 Hz with a lot of harmonics due to valves etc) but the sound level could be lower

used to be GPGSL's Nick Heidfeld
Date: July 01, 2011 10:30PM
Posted by: loren
97kirkc Wrote:
> You don't get a penalty now. You've got 8 engines
> a season, you only get a penalty if you have to
> use engine no.9 at some point.

Same difference. The idea that you can get penalized for engine changes at a race is bad enough, the idea that you can be penalized for doing too many changes AT YOUR FACTORY is just absurd.
Date: July 02, 2011 12:28AM
Posted by: chet
Nothing (for me) will beat the v10's so for that reason I couldn't really care what engine powers these guys.

A v6 still appeals to all the right engine manufacturers and even Ferrari so surely its a win. Thinking about it, I wouldn't like to see BMW return unless it was with a power crazy engine, and even crazier sounding engine. I still have the memories of the v10 BMW power so thats good enough for me :).

Abit sad about the delay though. I understand why it must happen but I was bored with these engines the moment they came in. They sound dull, and there is nothing inspiring about these V8's. A v8 should rumble, and should be heavy and brutal and a in a land rover/jaguar/montoya :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: July 13, 2011 06:35PM
Posted by: kubica2
flat tyre Wrote:
> I think we'll just have to wait and see, but I'm
> looking forward to it. I think that this is the
> one of the closest engines from history that you
> could find: a 710bhp Honda V6 1.5 turbo, revving
> up to 14000rpm, with turbo limited to 2.5 bar.
> Listen to when he floors it on the exit of the
> chicane. If it's anything like this, I'll be
> thriilled - especially as, only a couple of years
> ago, I found this video and dreamed of hearing
> engines like this again :)
>
>

I dont remember them revving to 14,000rpm
That sound is nostalgic now, but might look funny watching from an onboard of a modern f1 car. i think the new v6s could sound quite different due to technological improvements in thinks like exhausts and turbocharging, plus things like direct injection, and jsut the general engine construction and layout. what Vee angle and firing angle will they use? they will be 25 years more technologically advanced engines then those 80s turbos.
Date: July 28, 2011 12:25PM
Posted by: J i m
Well whatever... I doubt it'd take too long to get used to it.

Remember than F1 engineers are notorious for lighting quick development, I'm sure the engines will perform and sound more potently than the bare figures suggest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy