If Webber Retires... That Coveted No.2 Red Bull spot goes to...

Posted by danm 
...who?

I really do feel Webber will retire this season. He has been trounced by Vettel, sadly.

I cannot for the life of me justify taking one of the Toro Rosso drivers when neither of them are particularly deserving of their seats already/are totally unspectacular/seemingly lack charisma and fan appeal/already fighting a face off to keep a seat at STR.

Would the untrialled Daniel Ricciardo get the push in? Surely not, he is too young? But seems a hell of a lot more promising than the STR guys.

So who exactly would get it?

Sniffing around, all I can think of fitting it perfectly as young rookies are Kobayashi or Perez, but both have committed themselves to Sauber for the moment.

Hamilton is looking ever more likely, but I think that the Hamilton/Vettel pairing would be worse than Prost/Senna and Hamilton/Alonso. I think it'd be a total disaster, and Red Bull seem to know it.

Would they really take on an unpredictable mature guy again, like Webber, in Massa? I doubt it.

They need a good number 2 who won't ruffle Vettel; but at the same time keeps him on his toes.

I can think Button is perfect, but he already has that role within McLaren and doesn't look likely to be moving at all.

Rosberg? Looks like he's about to sign his life over to the silver side. Ooof. Brave boy. Plus, I think he is a risky choice, given he's too young to keel over as a number 2; and still has something to prove. Could be toxic.

So surely Ricciardo is going to get the green light? It's gonna be someone home grown, right? Surely.

Tough to predict.

What does everyone else think?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
I'd give Rosberg a good shot. But I feel that might be a mistake for him on the longer term. RedBull is clearly built around a few talents (most notably Vettel and Newey) and as soon as they leave, I can see RedBull slipping down the order.

But who else is realistically going to get that seat? I can't see them wanting Massa, or Hamilton, for the reasons you mentioed. Everyone decent seems to be glued to their current teams. RedBull don't have testers either, do they? Or is Ricciardo their tester? He seems a bit young and unexperienced to be given the seat and the STR guys aren't exactly deserving of it either.
Can anyone really see Webber sticking around when he doesn't seem that happy? It's all well and good, he isn't doing badly as a number two at all - perfect for the team - but maybe not perfect for him.

But then with Vettel there in his current form, he has no chance.

I always thought he'd have a poke at Ferrari as his last wild card farewell for a transition year whilst Ferrari prepared to rope in a new Massa-esque long term rookie (Koby or Perez).

On second glance, Rosberg would be a relevant choice, we know he'd push Vettel, but just how much we can't tell. Although something hints that we almost know we won't BEAT Vettel, which raises his appeal further.

Di Resta is Mercedes bound for sure, not quite certain if the McLaren tie in is now void.

Sutil? No way, had his chance, mediocre seat filler.

The Hulk? Needs more race time, and too unknown still.

I thought Petrov could be an interesting prospect, he is definitely maturing and for breaking Red Bull to new markets, but he is too involved financially with Renault/Lotus. Though rumours suggest they're in sh!t creak right now. Still, he is a bit of a far out choice.

Glock seemed to be quite solid at Toyota, I think he is heading towards the Massa/Rubens/Webber mould and I see him cropping up to a midfield team next year maybe at Williams if Rubens leaves. He'd be my very dark horse bet, but then two germans isn't good for marketing.

Ricciardo is top, he has to be! But in a race winning machine almost guaranteed, what a career start. That's gotta be better than Hamiltons plate he was given.

What about Raikkonen? Unlikely but would be a challenge for Vettel. I would also be very interested if Hamilton did go there if Mclaren continue not to cut the mustard. I don't know what the outcome of that would be. If he did - who would go to Mclaren?
I'd love to see Rosberg get that seat as I am fearful of seeing him sink with Mercedes. I believe he'd not be a #2 and in fact, he'd be a contender. Another great thing is how honest both Vettel and Rosberg are, they'd surely put a good fight on the track but always be clean.
I would love to see Rosberg go there and turn up the heat, but Red Bull have been seen to employ some serious No.1 politics; and at the same time, seemingly not worry about them.

Wether that's the result of Vettel being better than Webber we don't know. They have let them fight tooth and nail and take eachother out as well, so it's a mystery.

The Mclaren opening is an immense one - what a space to fill! Button is a pretty gritty number 2, but not really team leader material. I think if Lewis goes, they will undergo a few transitional years if something feisty doesn't join them. If they do end up producing their own engines too, this is a nice time to secure one of the little rookies, again, I forsee both of the current Sauber pair hitting the top teams at some point.

Maybe Rosberg would get the nod. Or di Resta?

Next season is going to rely heavily on the movement/contracts of Webber and Rosberg. The same way we all waited on Kubica, but with him likely out of the frame for a while, it's opened up a real can of worms.

danm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> some serious No.1 politics

like..?

i think most f1 fans would like rosberg to have a decent ride, same here. räikkönen would also be fun to watch but it will probably be neither of them in that seat..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 06:15PM by LeeBeau.
Silverstone 2010...

Silverstone was just Marko being a moron then Horner playing damage limitation. It was blown way out of proportion given how supportive Horner and the team have been of Webber, and how they chose to let them race, rather than give either driver the title.

Mark has admitted he lies to the team any way, so he should be thankful to get any sort of decent treatment out of them.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2011 06:33PM by DaveEllis.
Webber won't retire, I regard him as one of the few drivers that enjoy doing it at any costs, in any team. Guys like Barrichello, Trulli or Coulthard (some time ago). So I'll think he'll be given the sack in december and will sign for a midgrid team. I can see him in Force India alongside Di Resta, or in Sauber alongside Kobayashi (IMO Perez will sign for a better team next year).

If the choice is between the STR drivers, it's difficult to choose one which is better. Buemi has been doing it really well this year, but Alguersuari did a great job after replacing Bourdais and in 2010. I'm sure that Ricciardo won't get it, though. RBR won't sign a rookie, that's why they owe STR, to test rookies for the future (Even though the only guy who's made it all the way from F3 to STR to RBR is Vettel).

If the choice is outside Red Bull-Sponsored drivers, Rosberg has contract with MGP, so it's too expensive, but... who knows what Nico can do with a RBR? That's interesting. Massa? Nah, it's like bringing in another Webber. Alonso? You're dreaming. Button? Possible... possible... but he's happy at McLaren and he won't get out unless someone fired him. Hamilton? Vettel would have problems with him, he has already had (China 2010). Perez? Difficult, he's linked to Ferrari, but if they "stole" some engineers from RBR, it could be some kind of revenge ;). Kubica? No one knows in what state he'll return, could be like MSC in 2000 and win the championship, could be like Massa last year and be humiliated by his teammate and his own team.

My final choices are: Buemi, Alguersuari or Rosberg. Of course, they can do anything and sign in J.R. Hildebrand (poor guy...;))

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
It wont happen but Kimi would be more than awesome.

Other than that Nico or Button would be the best guys to go for... We still havent seen Nico in a top car, and we need to know just how much slower Schumacher is now... Vettel and Nico would be an amazing pair, but maybe Nico would push Vettel more than Marko would like.

After what's gone on at the team I cant see them wanting a driver at least the ability of Vettel.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
I am surprised how underrated both STR drivers seem to be on here. Personally, I think both drivers are decent. They´re not as good as Vettel but I still think both of them have a lot of potential. As much as I like Jaime, I would give the seat to Buemi for a year and stick Ricciardo in STR and see how he fairs up to Jaime. Give it a year and see what happens. If Buemi doesn´t do well then drop him and replace with either Jaime or Ricciardo, depending how the season goes.
Yes, I would probably give the seat to Buemi. He's not the sort of guy that's going to rock the boat too much, and seems to have some good potential when he puts his mind to it.

X (@ed24f1)
danm Wrote:
> Silverstone 2010...

yeah, pretty serious politics, he won the race - that's messed up. any other examples?
No one's mentioned Maldonado yet. He may not be ready next year, but maybe in a few years...

I see Perez as the next Massa. Ready to win a title, but just not quite there.

I would say Buemi is a candidate, but he's been unspectacular this season. Although I can see him racing for Red Bull at some point in the future.

What about Bruno Senna, as well? He's got talent, no idea how much. But He did OK in that thing HRT called a car last year, but didn't do fantastically.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
I know alguersuari hasn't set the world on fire at str, but i think he was thrust into that seat way too early. Even in his 2nd full season he is still at an age where most drivers are still in GP2, so the redbull must see some potential in him.

As much as I dream of seeing Bruno Senna get the chance in a top car, I realise that's a pretty unrealistic thing to seriously consider here. Likewise a Kimi comeback. But those would be my first two choices in an ideal world.

Realistically, as said above, RBR will probably promote one of the current Toro Rosso drivers if Webber goes - everything fits. And yeah, Buemi is more likely to get the gig than Jaime, based on his overall performance.

danm Wrote:
> Silverstone 2010...

The brilliant thing about that race and Webber's whinge on the radio when he won was that he was actually making an extremely accurate comment, even though it was meant to be a frustrated one. :P

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2011 02:43AM by EC83.
msater
What about Bruno Senna, as well? He's got talent, no idea how much.

Hang on... he wasn't deemed good enough for Renault, so why would the best team on the grid want him?

Realistically I can only see one of the Toro Rosso guys getting it... but if they're genuinely under pressure at Toro Rosso, then a promotion is pretty unlikely.

As I said earlier this year, I think Kobayashi is a good choice if you want a feisty (on the track) number two. Polar opposite to the perfect number two (Button at McLaren), but he still wouldn't be quite as quick as Vettel, he'd jump at the chance of a top drive, he seems popular within his team, doesn't seem to complain off track, and 90% of F1 fans would kill to see it. Though I expect he's Ferrari bound if Kubica can't return or they feel he's lost a bit of his edge.
matt3454 Wrote:
> I know alguersuari hasn't set the world on fire at
> str, but i think he was thrust into that seat way
> too early. Even in his 2nd full season he is still
> at an age where most drivers are still in GP2, so
> the redbull must see some potential in him.

I think he probably has more marketing potential than Buemi, and that might help him later on.

Toro Rosso have to accommodate Ricciardo in 2012, and probably Jean-Eric Vergne in 2013 or 2014, so something has to give. Either they let Buemi or Alguersuari go, or they promote one to Red Bull if Webber retires. It's becoming a bit of a bottle-neck.

I suppose Vettel may also get some input into his team-mate, and it will be interesting to see if he wants a number 2 driver or another top-line driver.

X (@ed24f1)
This is quite a tought decision, and because of that I wouldn't be surprised if Webber stayed for another year. I still think that he's doing a pretty solid job, it's just the Vettel is doing an even more solid one. Mark's a tough character, but I wouldn't expect to see him at another team - I reckon he will retire when he leaves Red Bull.

As for his replacement, there aren't really any obvious choices... Personally, I'd like to see Massa there for a year or two. He might be leaving Ferrari to make way for Perez, and there isn't really anywhere else he could go apart from Red Bull.

As a Rosberg fan, I wouldn't like to see him driving for the Red Bull. I think he's got huge potential, but going to partner Vettel would be career suicide. Then again, Rosberg is German like Vettel, so maybe Red Bull wouldn't give him the cold shoulder after all??

I don't think there are any other available drivers who would be up to speed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know you want to. [judgegrudge.mybrute.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy