DRS - possible improvements

Posted by davidm 
DRS - possible improvements
Date: May 17, 2011 04:38PM
Posted by: davidm
There has been a lot of talk about DRS and being much too easy in Turkey and to a lesser extent in China. I quite like the suggestion from Martin Brundle about restricting the number of times it could be used to increase the strategical element. Perhaps say 1 lap in three but when the drivers/teams felt strategically valueable. Some might use it more in the early stages some more at the end. It would then be more akin to the old turbo boost in the 80s where there was a fuel consumption penalty if used excessively. Reducing the zone on certain circuits and making passes a little more difficult would also probably be a good thing.
Re: DRS - possible improvements
Date: May 17, 2011 05:19PM
Posted by: EC83
Superglue it shut.

Date: May 17, 2011 05:27PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Not allowing it in qualifying would be a good way to start improving the DRS rules.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 17, 2011 07:12PM
Posted by: gav
As above - why on earth it's allowed in qualifying I've no idea. It's completely pointless.

While I don't like DRS generally, I wouldn't mind it if it did what it did in Melbourne - allowed cars to stay closer together so there were few overtakes directly because of it into turn 1, while allowing closer racing and overtaking into the following corners and even helping creating action as far as turns 11 and 13. That was a nice balance.

Turkey was a joke.

But as I said before the season, with these Pirelli tyres, DRS wasn't needed at all.
Date: May 21, 2011 03:40AM
Posted by: loren
Yep, all the good action has been down to the tires. Okay, so a few guys have blasted past each other on the straights with the DRS. But so what? Passing a car that suffers a massive aero disadvantage shouldn't be celebrated as "good racing." Hell, even NASCAR doesn't have a gimmick as bad as this.
Date: May 21, 2011 08:21AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
As above - why on earth it's allowed in qualifying I've no idea. It's completely pointless.

I actually like it for qualifying. It's like the days of qualifying cars, where you had the boost turned up, qualifying tyres on and running on fumes, and you could turn insane laps. Now we have a device which is being used in qualifying the same way, and in a way, takes massive balls to use. Vettel opening it early in turn 8 was awesome.

I think DRS has it's use, but this is isn't it. DRS should be used to allow you to have a chance to overtake - not to give you a free spot.

Or, we could just use the Swift Mushroom Buster diffuser and solve the aero issue, but we don't have time for rational thinking.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 21, 2011 11:01AM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
stupidity, will be even more easier to overtake now
[www.autosport.com]

Date: May 21, 2011 11:18AM
Posted by: chet
What if the driver behind overtakes in the first part? does he still get the DRS for the second part? Or are there two detection zones?

Maybe smaller activation zones would be good, but more detection, and more but smaller activation.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 21, 2011 11:36AM
Posted by: gav
chet
What if the driver behind overtakes in the first part? does he still get the DRS for the second part? Or are there two detection zones?

My view of it is that there will be one DRS zone, so presumably if the driver behind overtakes into the chicane, they can still use it over the S/F line.

They said they'd tweak and improve DRS as the season went on, yet somehow they're managing to make it worse.
Date: May 21, 2011 08:47PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Why don't we just go the whole hog and make it Mario Kart? That way Vettel wouldn't win so often, especially with the blue shell...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: May 24, 2011 01:16PM
Posted by: danm
lmfao, its not far off mario kart, almost!

what next, putting zoom roller chevrons in the centre of the straights to go faster?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy