Red Bull Ring

Posted by danm 
Red Bull Ring
Date: May 17, 2011 03:15PM
Posted by: danm
Saw it pop up here and there, thought it could do with its own place for future discussion.

Stumbled across this plaque, gotta love Vettel's humour... :P

In other news, enjoy some of the action, lol at the crashing of vintage f1 cars!

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2011 03:18PM by danm.
Re: Red Bull Ring
Date: May 17, 2011 04:11PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
This track suffers from the same problems as Hockenheim and Nurburgring. They're nice tracks in their own right, but they obviously pale in comparison to the full length tracks at the same venues.

Maybe if Valencia drops off the calendar, Austria can come in, as it would be nice to see a few more races here.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 17, 2011 04:48PM
Posted by: EC83
LOL at Vettel, right enough. That's pretty good.

Good to see this track resurrected at long last and back up and running. Now get the Grand Prix back here damnit!

Date: May 17, 2011 05:38PM
Posted by: chet
I used to love this track, bring back I say!

If Spain get's two GP's because of Alonso why shouldnt this race be on the Calender?

1) It's Austrian, as is RB
2) It's proximity to Germany is pretty close, we have sh*tloads of German drivers, plus one is our reigning champ!

Replace Valencia or Bahrain (if it doesnt come back).

It might be nothing compared to the old version but nor is Spa, Silverstone or any of the other tracks we still consider great. Im not saying its a great track but it is far more interesting than most on the calender.

Bernie must see the significance of getting this track back on the calander. Well done RB for sorting it out too! Looks like they've done a fantastic job.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 17, 2011 05:53PM
Of the two races in Spain, I'd like this to replace Barcelona, not Valencia. Valencia might not produce the best races, but it's the lesser of the two evils.

Date: May 17, 2011 06:50PM
Posted by: Carlitox
Take out any of these:
Bahrain
Catalunya
Hungaroring
Abu Dhabi

And put this beautiful and picturesque track, please!

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: May 17, 2011 07:33PM
Posted by: gav
In other news, enjoy some of the action, lol at the crashing of vintage f1 cars!

NOOO, not a 49. :(
Date: May 18, 2011 12:01AM
Posted by: loren
Well done to Red Bull for saving this great track. Like Imola, this place just has that "soul" about it. No matter how much Tilke tries, he can never come anywhere close to nature when it comes to creating great settings for racing. Its a shame the FIA allows Bernie to control the calender and charge tracks whatever he wants to host a race.
Date: May 18, 2011 02:11AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
It still has gravel traps! Bernie will never come here.

Can someone tell me if the layout is actually the same as the A1 Ring? I heard they had added an infield section, and no I can't tell from the vids because I haven't watched them.
Date: May 18, 2011 06:36AM
It's exactly the same layout. There was speculation at one point that the Red Bull version of the track would be modified from the A1-Ring layout to include more of the original layout, but it hasn't happened.

Date: May 18, 2011 08:05AM
Posted by: gav
The good news is that much of the old Osterreichring is still in place - at least the layout for it is. You can see some of the old turn 1 and the added chicane in the videos. It would take quite a bit of restoring, but it would great to have some of the old place back. That said, I've always like the updated A1-ring itself, so it's great that the place is back at all.
Date: May 18, 2011 08:53AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Red Bull have said they want the old circuit active, but cannot due to noise restrictions. They are looking at using the old turn 2 area of it as a test circuit, but turn 1 is very close to a town. They said they don't want to host F1 (but have a DTM event), but I'm sure that's more to do with trying to keep the noise complainers happy for now. I imagine the idea of a Red Bull World Champion, winning a race at the Red Bull Ring, in a Red Bull F1 car is too much to ignore.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 18, 2011 09:46AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Red Bull have said they want the old circuit
> active, but cannot due to noise restrictions. They
> are looking at using the old turn 2 area of it as
> a test circuit, but turn 1 is very close to a
> town. They said they don't want to host F1 (but
> have a DTM event), but I'm sure that's more to do
> with trying to keep the noise complainers happy
> for now. I imagine the idea of a Red Bull World
> Champion, winning a race at the Red Bull Ring, in
> a Red Bull F1 car is too much to ignore.

And next year is Red Bull's 25th annivesary as well. It will be hard to resist for Dietrich!

X (@ed24f1)
Date: May 18, 2011 09:59AM
Posted by: Nickv
loren Schreef:
> Well done to Red Bull for saving this great track.
> Like Imola, this place just has that "soul" about
> it. No matter how much Tilke tries, he can never
> come anywhere close to nature when it comes to
> creating great settings for racing. Its a shame
> the FIA allows Bernie to control the calender and
> charge tracks whatever he wants to host a race.

Didn't Tilke design the A1Ring?
Date: May 18, 2011 10:27AM
Posted by: danm
He didn't 'design it' as such from nothing, more so took aspects and incorporated bits of the original to form a basic track.

This was one of my fave tracks to race in GP4, as short as it is.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 18, 2011 08:13PM
Posted by: alexf1man
SchueyFan Wrote:
> DaveEllis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Red Bull have said they want the old circuit active, but cannot due to noise restrictions.
> > They are looking at using the old turn 2 area of it as a test circuit, but turn 1 is very close to a town.
> > They said they don't want to host F1 (but have a DTM event), but I'm sure that's more to do with trying to keep the noise complainers happy for now.
> > I imagine the idea of a Red Bull World Champion, winning a race at the Red Bull Ring, in a Red Bull F1 car is too much to ignore.

> And next year is Red Bull's 25th annivesary as well. It will be hard to resist for Dietrich!

---

And Vettel's 25th birthday, which makes him as old as the company employing him!
Date: May 19, 2011 01:14AM
Posted by: SpaceManMonster
I Agree with a replacement of BAH!!-rain with the Refurbished RedBull-A1-Osterreichring!! Yes It's Small, but can go two ways with it!
You can either be victorious or fail. To Tell the Truth, I do enjoy this track because of the center sweeper. The Sharp edges of this track can be a buster but that sweeper! Yowza!!
Date: May 19, 2011 05:02PM
Posted by: J i m
A1 Ring was always a pale shadow of the old Osterreichring... yet thanks to it's giant go-kart track nature it never produced a dull race (at least I've forgotten if it did). I loved it for that, I'd welcome it back any day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy