The Official 2011 Australian GP Thread ****Spoilers!!****

Posted by mcdo 
DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A fan managed to lean on a crash test component
> and break it?

I don't entirely trust mainstream Australian F1 media. The Age reported smoke coming from Webber's engine as he parked at the finish. I don't recall seeing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2011 11:07AM by mcdo.

The smoke was from the brakes, only after he stopped. To quote Brundle, "Some smoke from the brakes there, not a huge surprise."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Like I posted 27/3, like Brundle said as you've quoted. So what is The Age on about? Bleary eyes through corporate box windows perhaps. See a driver pull up short after the finish line and think engine failure.

Webber will be hellishly motivated for Sepang, even if it's not his happiest hunting ground.
DaveEllis Wrote:
> [i.imgur.com]
>
> The smoke was from the brakes, only after he
> stopped. To quote Brundle, "Some smoke from the
> brakes there, not a huge surprise."

The team were not meant to be happy that he did that, the car we available to have pictures taken from every angle.
ross brawn said, that they couldnt find the right car setup throughout the weekend. WTF ????!! They are searching for that freaking balance and setup already 15 months. are they braindamaged or what ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2011 12:18PM by mitadumapaga.
and the bad thing is: ... or actually the bad thingS are:

1) schumacher is looking stupid in that car, as if he cant drive.

2) rosberg wastes his best years and cant reach that illusive 1st win.

Damn i am angry.
I think that Mercedes, and possibly Ferrari as well, may have been caught out by the unusually cold weather in Melbourne.

The track temperature was around 17-22 degrees all weekend, and I think this is much lower than the teams would ever have experienced in dry running at the track, considering that the race is later in the year than it ever used to be, and later in the day. For example, in 2010, when it was by no means hot, the track temperature ranged from about 26-30 degrees.

To look at the other extreme, compare this to the 2008 race, when the track temperature was 51 degrees!

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2011 12:59PM by SchueyFan.
i dont know, schueyfan, BUT what i know is.... a couple of days ago i watched an interview with MS uploaded on youtube and there were pictures how he was taking the last two corners of the lap in Melbourne......... I HAVE never seen so twitchy steering wheel, indeed.
SchueyFan Wrote:
> I think that Mercedes, and possibly Ferrari as
> well, may have been caught out by the unusually
> cold weather in Melbourne.
>
> The track temperature was around 17-22 degrees all
> weekend, and I think this is much lower than the
> teams would ever have experienced in dry running
> at the track, considering that the race is later
> in the year than it ever used to be, and later in
> the day. For example, in 2010, when it was by no
> means hot, the track temperature ranged from about
> 26-30 degrees.
>
> To look at the other extreme, compare this to the
> 2008 race, when the track temperature was 51
> degrees!

The track temperatures as as close to winter testing temps as we'll get until maybe some of the colder European races.
Maybe a little warmer than testing, but im not sure how driving on a 40-50 degree + surface will be any better for Ferrari and Merc.

They 'looked' good in testing with similar to Oz temps.. I cant see them getting the big jump they need to challenge either RBR or even Mclaren.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
WTF is this?

[en.espnf1.com]

CARABANTE
"We did 11 laps with Liuzzi. If he had done 20, he would have qualified. Getting within 1.7 seconds without driving hardly at all is a miracle."

Carabante
The team plans to have its 2011-spec front nose on the car in Malaysia, and Carabante said a whole "new aerodynamic package" will be fitted for May's Spanish Grand Prix. "It will be enough to be ahead of Lotus and Virgin," he said. "Last year we were in a worse condition than now and we ended up ahead of Virgin with twice our budget, and behind Lotus due only to one accident."

does he thinks we're that stupid or what?

what a sad joke i hope this is just an April fool's one
That article about hispania amused me rather a lot, i would be very surprised if they were near lotus and virgin in malaysia...

For a list of EVERY download for GP4, look here: [docs.google.com]
chet Wrote:
> The track temperatures as as close to winter
> testing temps as we'll get until maybe some of the
> colder European races.
> Maybe a little warmer than testing, but im not
> sure how driving on a 40-50 degree + surface will
> be any better for Ferrari and Merc.
>
> They 'looked' good in testing with similar to Oz
> temps.. I cant see them getting the big jump they
> need to challenge either RBR or even Mclaren.

Sure, but I think that a big part of their setup work would be based on previous data taken from each track. I don't know for sure, but I can't imagine they go to each track each year and start afresh.

Also, there was no data as to how the Pirellis would react on a more abrasive surface.

In short, I think it's too early to make conclusions. Remember many people said that 2010 would be boring after Bahrain.

X (@ed24f1)
[www.thef1times.com]

I'm thinking of buying an old Volvo Estate on Ebay, teaching myself to drive it, doing it up and putting a few spoilers on it, going to Barcelona next month and qualifying ahead of Lotus and Virgin. Realistic plan, no?

At what point were they ahead of Virgin last year? Even when the Virgin didn't have a fuel tank large enough to finish the race, they finished ahead of Hispania.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the team wasn't around come Spain, and I'm struggling to recall a team anyone wants on the grid less.
SchueyFan Wrote:
> chet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The track temperatures as as close to winter
> > testing temps as we'll get until maybe some of
> the
> > colder European races.
> > Maybe a little warmer than testing, but im not
> > sure how driving on a 40-50 degree + surface
> will
> > be any better for Ferrari and Merc.
> >
> > They 'looked' good in testing with similar to
> Oz
> > temps.. I cant see them getting the big jump
> they
> > need to challenge either RBR or even Mclaren.
>
> Sure, but I think that a big part of their setup
> work would be based on previous data taken from
> each track. I don't know for sure, but I can't
> imagine they go to each track each year and start
> afresh.
>
> Also, there was no data as to how the Pirellis
> would react on a more abrasive surface.
>
> In short, I think it's too early to make
> conclusions. Remember many people said that 2010
> would be boring after Bahrain.

Oh, I agree its too early to draw conclusions, I just think generally I cant see either Mercedes or Ferrari improving a great deal from Oz. At least not yet. The fact that Merc werent able to go quicker on the softer tyre points to some rather large issues IMO.. and the fact that Ferrari (And Webber) felt the need to do 3 stops was also pretty alarming imo.

Ferrari are Ferrari. Ill let them do the first fly away races before judgement. Last year the looked on-off, yet when it counted Alonso had the car. Im sure this year will be no different but right now, they've got alot of work to do IMO.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
gav Wrote:
> At what point were they ahead of Virgin last year?
> Even when the Virgin didn't have a fuel tank large
> enough to finish the race, they finished ahead of
> Hispania.
>
> To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the team
> wasn't around come Spain, and I'm struggling to
> recall a team anyone wants on the grid less.

Still don't follow how the chuff Hispania were 11th in the championship last season despite being slower than a dead dog nailed to an armchair. ;)

At what point were they ahead of Virgin last year? Even when the Virgin didn't have a fuel tank large enough to finish the race, they finished ahead of Hispania.

HRT are spinning the fact they finished higher (due to race positions, from retirements) as being "ahead" of Virgin.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
DaveEllis Wrote:
> At what point were they ahead of Virgin last year?
> Even when the Virgin didn't have a fuel tank large
> enough to finish the race, they finished ahead of
> Hispania.
>
> HRT are spinning the fact they finished higher
> (due to race positions, from retirements) as being
> "ahead" of Virgin.

Then they're deluded. I'm sure every race they finished was 4 or 5 laps down - in comparison to Virgin and Lotus who were only say 2 or 3 laps down, if I recall.

YES, Hispania - you were that bad that even the backmarkers lapped you ;)

If I'm wrong, d'oh well - but Hispania were NEVER quicker than Virgin and Lotus, nor will they ever be. The quicker they leave the sport and make way for another more prepared team, the better.

Even the Spanish motorsport federation has said that they need to get their act together. They don't want to see any amateurish teams in F1.
and now they say that gettin inside the 107 shouldn't be that hard in malaysia

yeah, in a track where aerodinamic grip is more important than mechanical... who wants to bet? lol

HRT promises no repeat of Australia

[www.autosport.com]

Kolles
"The expectations for Malaysia are to get back to normality," he said.

"We know that the car has potential and we hope that we will be able to get all updates on the cars. The 107 per cent should not be an issue under normal circumstances."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy