The Official 2011 Australian GP Thread ****Spoilers!!****

Posted by mcdo 
Why the hell have the Saubers been thrown out? Absolute .... disagrace :-( I thought there was such a thing called Scrutineering on the Thursday or Friday?

Even then, if the wing was used in testing WHY weren't they told?

I feel this is FIA helping Ferrari (again) in the form of handing 4 points to Massa! International Assistance AGAIN! :(

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 04:37PM by alexf1man.
Good race.

Great drives from Vettel and Petrov. Hamilton got lucky the floor didn't have more damage.
Rubens was good, from dead last to 9th/10th in about 20laps, until he hit Rosberg.
Perez was awesome, too bad the Saubers got DQ'd.
Massa seems to be getting some of his old habits back, but he did well defending against Button.
Virgin and Lotus are ahead of Mercedes and Williams in the CC. ;)

Unlucky for Heidfeld held up by the LOLspanias in qualifying then drives a car looking like this through the race:
Has anyone actually noticed HRT being absent during the race? It hadn't crossed my mind until just now. Kind of shows what a wonderful addition they are to F1.
i am afraid that massa is all but done for. and only if he would ve become WC 2008, he would nmaybe had the determination to fight alonso. instead he is off to a sad ending of his already 10 seasoned career....
alexf1man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why the hell have the Saubers been thrown out?
> Absolute .... disagrace :-( I thought there was
> such a thing called Scrutineering on the Thursday
> or Friday?
>
> Even then, if the wing was used in testing WHY
> weren't they told?
>
> I feel this is FIA helping Ferrari (again) in the
> form of handing 4 points to Massa! International
> Assistance AGAIN! :(

Are you serious?

They don't do 100% checks on the cars on every session. There isn't time. You wouldn't even be able to run in FP2 if they checked everything after FP1. They do the basic important checks, then after the race they do the template checks which Sauber failed on.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Nickv Wrote:
> Has anyone actually noticed HRT being absent during the race? It hadn't crossed my mind until just now. Kind of shows what a wonderful addition they are to F1.

lol wasn't that bothered tbh, they'll be lucky to make it before Turkey.

---

mitadumapaga Wrote:
> i am afraid that massa is all but done for. and only if he would ve become WC 2008, he would nmaybe had the determination to fight alonso.
> instead he is off to a sad ending of his already 10 seasoned career....

It's his 10th now, didn't race in 2003. Yes it would be a sad end to his career.

---

DaveEllis Wrote:
> Are you serious?
>
> They don't do 100% checks on the cars on every session. There isn't time. You wouldn't even be able to run in FP2 if they checked everything after FP1. They do the basic important checks, then after the race they do the template checks which Sauber failed on.

I only meant before FP1 which I know they did in 2009.
Well the other explination, which is quite likely, is that Sauber have been running incredibly thin bodywork - as we've seen with the numerous engine cover and front wing failures. It is entirely possible that the wing was legal, but is so fragile that it became warped after a full race distance, something they may not have checked during testing. The test is simply to run a ball of the correct size down the wing. If there is a gap, then it's obviously failed the test.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Nickv Wrote:
> Has anyone actually noticed HRT being absent
> during the race? It hadn't crossed my mind until
> just now. Kind of shows what a wonderful addition
> they are to F1.

Snap. I'm wondering how long it'll be before they fold.

I wouldn't have noticed Lotus or Virgin either. They should be closer this year, but are further back.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
That's true. There seems to be a cluster of teams up the front right now which are fairly evenly-matched, but everyone slower than Sauber seemed to be pretty anonymous today.

Definitely; Lotus and Virgin had next to no TV time on their own during the race. At least one of each finished the race, the same can't be said of HRT (officially the joke of F1, as I said two weeks ago in the 2011 season topic)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2011 07:16PM by alexf1man.
Coulthard got disqualified in Brazil 2000 for 1 mm, theres no need for any drama rules are rules and they're very clear in this case.. is a shame but it is what it is.. i know Sauber have his best intentions and this result was somehow a reward for all the @#$%& last year but oh well

looking back, it's impressive how much reliability has changed, i remember early 00's when only 8 or 9 cars would finish the first race

the DRS system didn't work as planned here, but i'm sure we'll see more action in sepang, however form Jensons onboard footage it seems that they still loose a lot of downforce when following another car which is more important than kers, drs and any other system they can come up with
Slash Wrote:
> looking back, it's impressive how much reliability
> has changed, i remember early 00's when only 8 or
> 9 cars would finish the first race

That changed at the start of 2003, when the cars started being locked off in parc ferme conditions between quali and the race. It soon became clear that the teams dismantling the cars to check and service them after quali had been causing more reliability problems than it had been fixing.

Back to a more positive story, well done to Vitaly Petrov for his first podium :)

and back to not so positive story :).

guys all of you here are understanding the sport pretty well. i really need someone to tell me what they think about mercedes and all the talking they did in pre testing. it really doesnt make any sands for them to say how fast they are, if they actually suckthat badly, as seen. nico, ross, michael. all of them praised the car. so, do you think there is something from them to come in the nex 1-2 races, before the european season starts.
A good rather than outstanding race.

Vettel was in a class of his own, really. The other big standouts were Petrov and Perez (who, like Kobayashi, didn't have a great junior record but seems to have taken to F1).

Rubens had a weekend to forget really, but he is allowed the odd one every now and then!

Mercedes didn't get the chance to really show strongly, but probably at around the Ferrari pace right now...

RedSam
Winner: Not the Nickv Comment of the Year 2009

Due to the voting system in Germany, Governments are always made up of coalitions of different parties. At the last election, an almost unprecidented result saw the CDU/CSU (rough equivilant of the Conservatives) go into Government with the SPD (rough equivilant of Labour)
Petrov really has found another gear since the back end of 2010. Massively impressed by his performance all weekend. If he keeps this up the general opinion on him will have to be reviewed.

EC83 Wrote:
> Slash Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > looking back, it's impressive how much
> reliability
> > has changed, i remember early 00's when only 8
> or
> > 9 cars would finish the first race
>
> That changed at the start of 2003, when the cars
> started being locked off in parc ferme conditions
> between quali and the race. It soon became clear
> that the teams dismantling the cars to check and
> service them after quali had been causing more
> reliability problems than it had been fixing.

Probably much more to do with limitations on engine and gearbox changes, and rev limiters.
Anyone knows what is the deal with Hamilton's plank? Sure looked damaged to me, was it allowed as damage caused by an accident? I suppose that would be the right ruling, but it sure wasn't applied to M. Schumacher in 1994.....
loren Wrote:
> Anyone knows what is the deal with Hamilton's
> plank? Sure looked damaged to me, was it allowed
> as damage caused by an accident? I suppose that
> would be the right ruling, but it sure wasn't
> applied to M. Schumacher in 1994.....

Schumachers plank was worn in a different section than what the video evidence from the spin over the kerb suggested it should be. Benetton were also on thin ice from several other violations that year.

Lewis had damage, and certainly did not pick up an advantage from it.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy