Bahrain cancellation rumours circulate [the Bahrain thread]

Posted by mortal 
Unconfirmed reports emanating in the Middle East late on Sunday say the Bahrain Grand Prix will be postponed as a result of the ongoing political unrest in the state. The Gulf News quoted unnamed sources as saying some teams had already started making alternative plans and had cancelled flights.

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2011 10:58PM by mortal.
Re: Bahrain cancellation rumours circulate
Date: February 21, 2011 03:44AM
Posted by: Frantic
also, protestors are putting pressure on Bahrain´s Prince to halt the race. Click here!

I think it is going to be cancelled, there are too many problems to host the race there. i saw today some videos on youtube that show the police killing protestors with automatic weapons (too shocking to show them in a family forum)

Date: February 21, 2011 04:46AM
Posted by: casabonka
Well we should find out by today whats happening -
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Apparently they are making a decision by midday UK time.
Im sure they will need to can it, or at least postphone to later in the season. I cant say anyone would actually miss the race though - except the 45 or so people who turn up each year...

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: February 21, 2011 06:25AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Hopefully they don't make Bahrain the last race now, because that's one of the only places on the calendar they can fit it in.

It would be great to have Australia as the first race and Brazil as the last race.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 21, 2011 09:45AM
Posted by: alexf1man
And to think that less than 20 years ago Australia was the LAST race and Brazil the first. The swap was clearly through circumstance and money (and the change from Adelaide to Albert Park for Australia).
Date: February 21, 2011 06:10PM
Posted by: DJSKYLINE
What an eventful start to 2011. Oh and we dont want the season to end with Bahrain and Abu Dhabi...how fun will that be....

Date: February 21, 2011 06:15PM
Posted by: chet
I believe there is a contractual obligation to run 20 races, so it should feature later on maybe?

Thing is, if it werent how would the drivers take it if for example the WDC were;

1. Alonso 150pts
2. Vettel 150 pts
3. Lewis 149pts

Well, you get the idea. Vettel and Lewis would im sure (and rightly so!) complain at the lack of the 20th race.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 21, 2011 06:33PM
Posted by: danm
Exactly. Its not so bad now to abandon it completely, but at the end of the season, when it's more obvious.

So, in which case, does a later season race fall under the same circumstances? Would it demand an alternative, or just be scrubbed off?

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: February 21, 2011 06:51PM
Posted by: gav
chet
Well, you get the idea. Vettel and Lewis would im sure (and rightly so!) complain at the lack of the 20th race.

And Vettel and Lewis would be told to STFU by Bernie. ;)

They'll be contractually obliged to run 20 races, but not for the teams or drivers, but for the sponsors, both sponsors of races and sponsors of teams. And to a lesser extent broadcasters.
Date: February 21, 2011 07:19PM
Posted by: Frantic
gpupdate says that Barhain would become round 18th between India Gp and Abu Dhabi Gp. source here

if that happens i think it would remain there for next year, as it happened with Spa-Francorchamps, former 3rd round of the season and changed to 11th/12th in 1985 due to surface breaking up

Date: February 21, 2011 08:04PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Exactly where I said it would go :P

Let's hope they do keep it there, then we can have Melbourne back as an opener. Sweet.
Date: February 22, 2011 03:20AM
Posted by: EC83
Or if Bahrain is moved to the end of the season, we'll have a Championship Grand Prix in December for the first time since 1963.

Date: February 22, 2011 02:06PM
Posted by: elio
Common sense prevails for once. Can you imaging the Martin Brundles grid-walk sabotaged by protestors. Let them get thier act together first. I very much doubt there will be an F1 race in Barhain at all this year. These kind of political troubles take many months (usually years) to settle. The big dfferance in Bahrain is they have a ruling family rather than an aged dictator (like Egypt) and they are not going to be easily deposed - if ever.

This 'Arab Spring' is turing into as big a deal as the fall of comununism in the late '80 / early '90s.

F1 ought to have given South Africa a wide berth 30 years ago during apartied. Good to see them doing the right thing this time. Sport and counties in termoil don't mix, it trivialises the issues.
Date: February 22, 2011 02:26PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Unless they change the rules it cannot go between India and Abu Dhabi, as new races have to be stand alone because the teams can't be certain how smoothly the freight routes will work.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 22, 2011 11:06PM
Posted by: mortal
Has F1's new riches come at a cost? Mark Webber says 'Back to the good old days".
Read the article here: News

[www.mediafire.com] Some say you should click it, you know you want to. :-) [www.gp4central.com] <----GP4 Central
Date: February 23, 2011 12:09AM
Posted by: chet
F1 starting at Aus, waking up at 3am for us Brits just feels right. Should never been replaced as the first GP. Likewise Suzuka should never have been moved. Brazil and Abu Dhabi are OK but Suzuka is even more special.

I suppose for you aussies it must be nice to have F1 start at a reasonable hour at least once during the season :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 23, 2011 12:31AM
Posted by: mortal
I'll say! (Y)

Date: February 23, 2011 04:29AM
Posted by: mclarenaustralia
The start time never bothers me, its the day after that I hate (being tired).
Date: February 23, 2011 04:42AM
Posted by: casabonka
being round 1 now makes the trip to Melbourne even better!
Def worth the extra 2 week wait!

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: March 08, 2011 05:18PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Bahrain have until May 1 to attempt to reschedule.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy