New helmet for Massa????

Posted by AH87 
New helmet for Massa????
Date: November 20, 2010 10:32AM
Posted by: AH87
I found this pic at espnf1.com

Anyone heard anything about Massa getting a new helmet?
Re: New helmet for Massa????
Date: November 20, 2010 11:06AM
Posted by: Jolkins
Well from pictures, you can see that he has used multiple helmets: the one shown in this picture and his usual helmet.
I guess they're just testing a new Schuberth model(this one has new cooling vents). The strange thing is - they're not using that titanium disc on visor mounting point, it's the older rubber/plastic thingy.
Date: November 20, 2010 01:51PM
Posted by: Gigi4
Also Alonso used the same helmet

Date: November 20, 2010 02:03PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
It's a new Schuberth helmet.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 20, 2010 07:53PM
Posted by: Guimengo
It's also Massa's way of confusing the team so they forgot to tell him to slow down ;)
Date: November 20, 2010 08:08PM
Posted by: Frantic
a little bit out of topic, but I miss older times when one driver used the same helmet for all of his career (for example, Mika Hakkinen). Today the only ones that almost havent changed their helmet´s design are Lewis, moreless Button and moreless Rubens. In the other hand, Vettel changed it almost every race. some years ago the helmet was a sort of identity for the drivers but that seems to be lost

Date: November 20, 2010 08:31PM
Posted by: mitadumapaga
the goood old times ! speakin' of identity how about the red Nr. 5 on mansells car. you could never miss it :)
Date: November 20, 2010 10:22PM
Posted by: chet
I can never make out what Vettels helmets are. Alot of them just seem like a random pattern of lines and colours!!

No helmet beats Graham or Damon Hills. Seeing Damon's helmet sent shivers down my spine! fact, all time greatest driver to have ever driven and ever will drive, and the best all time helmet :p and always will be.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: November 20, 2010 10:24PM
Posted by: gav
I guess somewhat oddly for a Brit, I think Schumacher's pre-2000 helmet was excellent.
Date: November 20, 2010 11:39PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I always liked Katayama's lid for some reason...

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: November 20, 2010 11:47PM
Posted by: Frantic
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess somewhat oddly for a Brit, I think
> Schumacher's pre-2000 helmet was excellent.

it was beautiful, and easy-recognizable. but then he changed it to red :/
his white helmet fitted well with every car he drove.

Also new designs are a little too complicated. I think the simplre the nicer helmet. like Jean Alesi´s (well, Elio de Angelis´ ;))

Date: November 21, 2010 12:18AM
Posted by: senna9194
Frantic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a little bit out of topic, but I miss older times
> when one driver used the same helmet for all of
> his career (for example, Mika Hakkinen). Today the
> only ones that almost havent changed their
> helmet´s design are Lewis, moreless Button and
> moreless Rubens. In the other hand, Vettel changed
> it almost every race. some years ago the helmet
> was a sort of identity for the drivers but that
> seems to be lost

i don't understand why making so many changes to a helmet design for a driver,i can understand just a home race version and a normal one,an optional Monaco one(a gold one would be great;)),then an optional version to celebrate a particular event.then other changes aren't good for me

My GPGSL Career
Date: November 21, 2010 12:21AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
For drivers like Vettel, who have never had a personal helmet it's meaningless. He's always had an RBR helmet.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: November 21, 2010 04:44AM
Posted by: badger27
The idea of a helmet used to be about recognition; about association with a driver. As a result of the sponsorhsip influence in F1, helmet designs are going to be how they were. I've seen somewhere on this forum that Hamilton's helmet design was the influence of Senna, and that Senna's design was a generic (Irvine used it in F3 if I recall?)

As I see it, helmet designs tend to be with a white band above the brow because thats where the teams need sponsors to go, so most designs can do that. Ferrari probably wanted to do the tests in all red, but sponsorship ment the white band stayed.

Being a Williams fan, before the 2010 season started I was concerned about identification. Hulkenbergs scheme had Orange around the visor, and Barrichello had Red. In that respect I can understand Rubens changing his colours, to suit the team without removing his identity to his helmet livery.

RBR don't need it, because they've taken a different approach by using the side. The place that we now tend to look at for identification. Vettel could make himself a unique helmet by being bold elsewhere on the helmet (which tbh I think he's tried by studding the whole darn thing), but then I've never heard of someone naming his chassis' before, so I guess he's making up for it.

I admittedly like the fact the Massa/Alonso helmet is Ferrari Scarlet rather than Schumacher Red.

Williams' Wonders: Jones, K.Rosberg, Piquet, Mansell, Prost, Senna, Hill, Villeneuve, .....?
Date: November 21, 2010 11:41AM
Posted by: Gord_on_wheels
I've always liked the more simple designs, like Jean Christophe Boullion, Eric Bernard or Olivier Panis' early helmets.

I liked the Hill's helmets as well. Particularly in Damon's case that the white bits were exactly where the sponsers needed to go. What would Marlboro had done had Damon ever driven for Ferrari?!
Date: November 21, 2010 03:36PM
Posted by: senninho
Lewis's helmet, surprisingly, isn't a Senna tribute - he chose yellow so that his dad could see where he was when karting. The ribbon effect was chosen to make it less dull, apparently.

Gord - I often wondered the same thing about Damon. He turned down a contract with McLaren for '97, so we missed out on a great opportunity to have that question answered!

I also totally agree about MSC's original design - he only changed it at Ferrari because Barrichello's design was too similar, so I don't understand why he never changed back.

Date: November 22, 2010 01:53AM
Posted by: Guimengo
Heidfeld and Trulli had cool ones too. Rosberg's hasn't changed much, I also think he was the 1st one in F1 with the go-faster flames on his helmet? ;)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy