The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: February 04, 2011 07:29PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I hate that Mclaren. I just realised it looks like an Indycar with the high sides and low nose like that. Awful.
Date: February 04, 2011 08:23PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
Not being funny Matt, but are you not exactly a fan of this car? :D

I don't know, personally. I'll have to see it in action I guess.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: February 04, 2011 08:30PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
...low nose?

Also, what Indycar have you been watching?

Not a bad design, but god why do they bother with these style of launches anymore? Not only was it boring as hell, the presenter seemingly knew @#$%& all about anything remotely to do with F1, let alone McLaren. Half the inside of the car is filled with plastic placeholders, even the exhausts were plastic fakes! and yet again another car launched with a 2010 front wing plus what looks like a dummy floor whacked on.

What's the point in showing off what is essentially a dummy "showcar" with 2010 bits bolted on, or none at all in certain places, and declaring it the 2011 challenger when the real 2011 car by the time it hits the track will look completely different?

Date: February 04, 2011 08:49PM
Posted by: JackHammer
97kirkc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What's the point in showing off what is
> essentially a dummy "showcar" with 2010 bits
> bolted on, or none at all in certain places, and
> declaring it the 2011 challenger when the real
> 2011 car by the time it hits the track will look
> completely different?

Money and publicity

Date: February 04, 2011 09:05PM
Can't describe what I mean. Not the actual nose, just the bit where the front wheels are seems too low. Like and indycar. And the high sidepods look like indy too, like this, just worse:

Just think it's too long, too low and the side are too high, with a boring livery. They should have gone with the black and red like someone suggested.
Date: February 05, 2011 12:51AM
Posted by: Thunderknight
I got your point, but after watching some of my f1 miniatures, i found that those new sidepods got something similar with B195 ones (some cars also use them on 1995, and Benetton got earlier versions since b192...). Here a pic for reference...

Of course, is yust a point of view, and mclaren didnĀ“t make an "exact copy", but for me they gor inspired on this...

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

GP4 Projects: - Button, Hamilton, Di Resta, Kovalainen and Ricciardo F1 2012 Helmets Released -
My GP4 Workthread
Date: February 05, 2011 01:02AM
True, it's similar to the B195, but I'd say its more similar not just in terms of look, but also in terms of the idea to the F310

The gap between the pod and the rest of the car is there to provide as much open space as possible to the rear wing in general/lower beam wing.

Date: February 05, 2011 02:29AM
Posted by: Carlitox
Yeah, now that you mention it... I had a look to my 1/24 Bburago Ferrari F310, and the concept is similar. But that's not the only one, the F92A featured something similar

And both Ferraris weren't very good...

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Date: February 05, 2011 02:43AM
97kirkc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> True, it's similar to the B195, but I'd say its
> more similar not just in terms of look, but also
> in terms of the idea to the F310
>
> [images.forum-auto.com]
> ari%20F310_57.jpg
>
> The gap between the pod and the rest of the car is
> there to provide as much open space as possible to
> the rear wing in general/lower beam wing.

LOVELY looking car. But the most unreliable Ferrari ever made...
Date: February 05, 2011 11:29AM
Posted by: gav
loque
LOVELY looking car. But the most unreliable Ferrari ever made...

Even looking at just the two Ferrari's mentioned on this page alone, the FA92A is the more unreliable. ;)

I couldn't be bothered to look at how many were accidents, so this is just retirements.

FA92A: 32 starts, 20 DNFs
F310: 32 starts, 16 DNFs (17 including a classified DNF)

For the record, the 1989 Ferrari, which had something of a reputation for being particularly unreliable, managed to retire 19 times out of 32 starts... 12 of those were Gerhard Berger's, and he didn't even start 1 race! He only finished 3 times all season! Mansell retired 7 times, and he was disqualified from a further two other races.

I'm sure if we look back, there'll be a zillion records of unreliable cars from the turbo era... and then is the BRM team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 11:31AM by gav.
Date: February 05, 2011 06:58PM
Posted by: alexf1man
Some McLaren pics from their (slightly updated) website:

Hamilton 1 Hamilton 2 Button 1 Button 2

And some other pics from the last couple of weeks: Ferrari F150 Ferrari testing in Fiorano Mercedes GP W02 Lotus Renault GP R31

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2011 07:21PM by alexf1man.
Date: February 05, 2011 08:32PM

rofl, brilliant.

Date: February 05, 2011 11:34PM
Haha, great picture :)

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 10:02AM by Incident 2k9.
Date: February 06, 2011 11:11AM
Posted by: Ho3n3r
I see Tony Fernandes has received a CBE. Rumor has it that Dany Bahar wants one too. :P

On 97kirkc's pic, is that a tortoise? sorry, i cant see so clearly on my phone.

On merc, they seem to be where they were last year, good enough for q3 at best, nothing more. Think they will be overtaken by renault or fi or both this year, and finish 5th or 6th.
Date: February 06, 2011 11:18AM
It's a platypus...

Date: February 06, 2011 11:51AM
Posted by: senninho
Apparently, Robert Kubica has been 'seriously' injured in an accident in a rally in Italy. Lots of speculation on Twitter in lieu of useful info, but he may have received anything from a broken wrist to two broken legs and a broken hip :S

/edit A couple of news agencies are now reporting that he has broken his wrist in several places.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 11:56AM by senninho.
Date: February 06, 2011 12:02PM
Posted by: senninho
From Jon Noble on Twitter:

Renault confirm that Kubica is conscious after accident - but no further details yet about any injuries. Statement soon

Date: February 06, 2011 12:21PM
ESPN F1-Live are saying it's a broken wrist in "several places" probably the same sources as above. LINK: [en.espnf1.com]

This is bad news for Kubica really, given that he may now have to miss a couple of races. Senna FTW? Lol. More likely Grosjean, who is about as much use in an F1 car as a chocolate fireguard.

This highlights some potential issues with allowing F1 drivers to partake in extracurricular pursuits during the down-months. You may see that this is the last time Renault allow Kubica to go rallying while under contract.
Date: February 06, 2011 12:22PM
Posted by: gav
Seems like the Twitter brigade are in form. We've had everything from broken wrist to left leg amputation so far.

By the sounds of it he's almost certainly got a broken wrist.

loque
This highlights some potential issues with allowing F1 drivers to partake in extracurricular pursuits during the down-months. You may see that this is the last time Renault allow Kubica to go rallying while under contract.

Meh. Top F1 drivers used to participate in multiple championships and series years ago. F1, Indy, rallies, F2, other junior series, all in the same season (obviously not when races were on the same weekend of course), and the risk of injury and death was about a trillion percent more back then.

Still, the Renault team are now owned by businessmen, so you're probably right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2011 12:27PM by gav.
Date: February 06, 2011 12:27PM
Posted by: DaiMOn
Really bad news so far. :( I hope he'll recover soon, but surely he won't drive at the first races if the rumours are true about the broken bones. I think Nick Heidfeld will get another chance... Renault needs a professional driver...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy