The 2011 Formula One Season

Posted by madotter 
Re: The 2011 Formula One Season
Date: February 02, 2011 11:44PM
Posted by: chet
Haha, no thats true Gav.

I think MG said something along the lines off only using it when not using it becomes a disadvantage to them. I suppose it makes sense because they could use the money to find much needed downforce... They will only really lose out if STR/Virgin start running it. Sauber are, Williams are, and Force India. They are the other teams Lotus might expect to fight. I would be an achievement for Lotus to qualify ahead of those guys... I suspect they will a few times but Lotus are not going to be in the posistion where they will be swamped by KERS power from behind.

I was thinking about this the other day. It will be interesting to see where guys will use KERS at the start. I mean, we saw in 09 Lewis using at the race start because neither RBR or Brawn ran the system, so it was easy pickings at the start. However this year all top teams are. So that being the case do you use KERS at race start to gain/secure posistion or wait till later in the lap when persumably the guy in front (who used his KERS to get there) has ran out?

All the first lot of tracks have overtaking spots past T1 where KERS will be useful. Really will be an action packed first lap! Im pleased KERS is back, I just hope the fact that everyone will run it means the effect will be negated. I suppose it looked so awesome in 2009 because the fastest cars didnt have it, so it gave the shite cars a fighting chance and of course it was the perfect toy for Lewis who would probably try overtake a Ferrari even if he was driving a tractor!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: February 03, 2011 01:44AM
Posted by: raulongo
Well, those are 200 that I shot at the track. I have 600 more! :) I hope you like them and... Enjoy!!

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: February 03, 2011 09:38AM
Posted by: fongu
awesome, thanks Raul, great shots :)

Date: February 03, 2011 10:12AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Quite surprised to see HRT there. They can't be AS cash strapped as people seem to be making out.
Date: February 03, 2011 10:22AM
Posted by: raulongo
I've seen some pictures were not uploaded... [ht.ly] This link contains the album I created in Facebook with all of them.

@Kev Thank you!!!

raulgullon.com -
Wedding and Motorsports Photography.
Date: February 03, 2011 10:35AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
We've already seen the Ferrari on fire today.

Pardon my ignorance, but if a similar failure happens on the Renault, does that mean the smoke and flames will come out the front of the car? that would be a pretty incredible effect.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 03, 2011 11:29AM
Posted by: vesuvius
various sources from the paddock and experts say Red Bull at the moment has the best car at the moment and by far, their car will go trough the corners with such a speed others are unable to do and the car looks like it would go on rails. Helmut Marko said on interview under hour ago that if race would be held now, they would lap everyone else.
Date: February 03, 2011 11:43AM
Posted by: DaveEllis
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We've already seen the Ferrari on fire today.
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but if a similar failure
> happens on the Renault, does that mean the smoke
> and flames will come out the front of the car?
> that would be a pretty incredible effect.

Depends what was on fire. If the exhausts overheat then yeah, you will. If the fire is from inside the engine, then yeah you will. Otherwise, probably not. Gearbox and hydraulics would still be in the usual places.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 03, 2011 11:43AM
Posted by: NunoEspadinha
Awesome, Raul! Thanks a lot!!!

-----------------------------
Virtual-Games.com: [www.virtual-games.com]
Virtual-Games.com Racing Team: [racing.virtual-games.com]

Date: February 03, 2011 11:52AM
If there's any truth to that report ^ then Vettel will be champion easily this year, I reckons.
Date: February 03, 2011 11:55AM
Well the fastest time so far this week has been Alonso hasn't it?

Massas failure was oil from the rear. He spun on it then it caught fire when rejoining the circuit.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 03, 2011 11:56AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Depends what was on fire. If the exhausts overheat
> then yeah, you will. If the fire is from inside
> the engine, then yeah you will. Otherwise,
> probably not. Gearbox and hydraulics would still
> be in the usual places.

It could be a potential safety hazard then with smoke/flames closer to the driver, it will be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: February 03, 2011 11:58AM
It was yeah, but judging on how they look, handling-wise, if the Red Bull is that well tuned already then it doesn't bode well.

Having said that, last year Ferrari were slow in testing IIRC but won the race. But then were shite for a lot of the year, so Bahrain's a bit of a funny one anyway.

Thank god the borefest layout is gone though.
Date: February 03, 2011 12:09PM
DaveEllis Wrote:
> Well the fastest time so far this week has been
> Alonso hasn't it?
>
> Massas failure was oil from the rear. He spun on
> it then it caught fire when rejoining the circuit.

yes alonso has the fastest time but vettel didn't drive at all during the afternoon. also on long stints red bull looks stronger and apparently has tested with heavy fuel load all the time... but still too early to say anything.

@loque
actually ferrari dominated the most of the winter testing last year and were favourites to win... not many believed red bull.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2011 12:10PM by vesuvius.
Date: February 03, 2011 12:12PM
Having said that, last year Ferrari were slow in testing IIRC but won the race. But then were shite for a lot of the year, so Bahrain's a bit of a funny one anyway.

That's the opposite of what I remember. :P Ferrari were fast in winter, but Red Bull were faster in Bahrain. Remember Vettel was leading before the car problems.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: February 03, 2011 12:46PM
Cast your minds back, even before the first tests (and during them) Ferrari were saying their car was already miles off the pace and needed huge updates. I can remember talking about it in the thread, cause people were like "how do they know".

It's lost in the fog of time, now.
Date: February 03, 2011 01:03PM
loque Wrote:
> Cast your minds back, even before the first tests
> (and during them) Ferrari were saying their car
> was already miles off the pace and needed huge
> updates. I can remember talking about it in the
> thread, cause people were like "how do they
> know".
>
> It's lost in the fog of time, now.

those were only rumours, Ferrari topped timesheets on the first tests all the time ...only the final test before the season started saw Red Bull on the top of the lists :)
Date: February 03, 2011 01:33PM
Posted by: NeoLiot
actually, Ferrari topped Valencia... then McLaren was fastest in Jerez... in Jerez again and in Barcelona...

-------------------------------------------
Date: February 03, 2011 03:35PM
just checked winter testing results from last year and here are the list of the teams that were fastest:

Red Bull 3 times
Ferrari 3 times
McLaren 3 times
Mercedes 2 times
Williams 2 times
Toro rosso 1 time
Sauber 1 time
Date: February 03, 2011 03:37PM
Posted by: NeoLiot
yeah, day by day that was it... i only took the fastest times from the entire three or four day session...

-------------------------------------------
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy