A Serious question on how we, and the FIA judge drivers (Contains Korean GP Spoilers)

Posted by DaveEllis 
This is something I've brought up a few times, and as a Vettel fan it's going to seem like I'm playing the fanboy card, but unfortunately the Red Bull situation is by far the best example of this sort of behaviour.

Why do we judge different drivers differently? We've seen a number of silly mistakes from Red Bull drivers this year, and the way we, the fans, and the FIA stewards have reacted to them has been interesting to see. For example, many times Vettel has been labelled stupid, immature for the accidents he caused (Turkey with Webber, Spa with Button). But I haven't seen much abuse for Webber from the same people (or people at all), for Webbers accidents (Australia with Lewis, Valencia with Heikki and Korea with Rosberg). But why not? All 3 of these mistakes were as silly for an F1 driver as Vettels, so why do we not automatically jump on Webber as quickly as we like to jump on Vettel? I mean, the only difference between Vettel/Spa and Webber/Korea mistakes are that Webber managed to impact a wall before hitting another car. Both drivers had lost control of there cars through there own mistakes and caused it. If Vettel had spun to the left, bounced back and hit Jenson, would we be looking at that differently? I'm not so sure.

Some may say that the FIAs part in this is to do with that there is still a different drivers official every race, so whilst the situation has improved, there is still some variance between weekends. And that's a statement I'd probably agree with. But let's look at the Korean GP From this weekend. Webber makes a mistake, takes out Rosberg. Buemi (another Red Bull driver! See! They are a pain in the arse aren't they?) makes a mistake, takes out Glock. Buemi is penalised, Webber is not. But the result from the mistakes was exactly the same. Both drivers made an error which results in another car being taken out. Buemis accident may have looked funnier, where he steamed into the side of another car, but it originated from a mistake the same way Webbers did. Buemi was not attempting to pass, he was just sitting out on a different line so he wasn't in the spray. He lost control under braking in the wet and unfortunately Glock was in the way when he got to the corner. Losing control in the wet is hardly an uncommon error is it? So why has Buemi been given the grid drop whilst Webber hasn't?

Sometimes from the FIA stand point I can understand the decision. For example at Spa, Vettel was penalised because Button was removed from the race and he was not. Similarly at Turkey, Vettel was not penalised because he removed himself whilst Webber managed to stay in the race. However at Albert Park Webber took out another car, continued and was only given a slap on the wrist, not any form of racing penalty. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Webber to have been penalised for it (I don't think drivers should be penalised unless the mistake was truly stupid, it does nothing but hurt the racing), but others have been given drive throughs and even grid drops for the accidents. So where did this slap on the wrist suddenly appear from? Similarly, Sutil has been handed a grid drop for Brazil for his accident with Kobayashi, but he took himself out and nobody else. So how is that defined?

We all have prejudices. There is no such thing as a 100% unbiast person. So I expect this thread to have opinions which are swayed by the persons personal preference. However let's try and keep this as sensible as possible.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 10:39AM by DaveEllis.
I think that Vettel's reactions to penalties haven't always been the most mature. Making gestures at the stewards and driving straight into the #3 sign at Hungary show a bit of petulance, or 'throwing one's toys out the pram', so to speak. Webber has accepted full blame for the incidents he's been in, and I guess the stewards don't want to be seen tainting the championship battle, so maybe that's why he's escaped without a penalty.

Buemi essentially used Glock as a braking point, but I think a penalty was harsh in this instance. Sutil probably deserved one though, purely because on another day, Kobayashi could have been taken out with damaged suspension.

People are quick (in the UK) to criticise Vettel as (a) Most are McLaren fans, and after crashing into Button at Spa is not in their good books and (b) Webber is a popular character and to have taken components from his car (like I don't know, a front wing or something?) was playing with fire.

But the penalties for the accidents on the weekend boiled down to whether or not they were deemed avoidable. Buemi could've missed Glock, Sutil could have tried a different move on Kobayashi. Could Webber have avoided Rosberg? I'd need to look again.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
People are quick (in the UK) to criticise Vettel as (a) Most are McLaren fans, and after crashing into Button at Spa is not in their good books and (b) Webber is a popular character and to have taken components from his car (like I don't know, a front wing or something?) was playing with fire.

Whoops I completely forgot about that bit. Yeah, RBR did play that *completely* wrong. But is it fair to blame Vettel and mark him down (lol Mark him down, see the things I do with words?) for Helmut Markos decisions? I like Red Bull, I like Vettel, and until Korea and his crying, I liked Webber. But I don't like Helmut Marko and I hated that decision. I also hated watching Horner trying to play the good guy and say "no no no, it was me! Please don't make a big deal out of it!".

Driving into the #3 board is something that REALLY bugged me on this forum because it happens a lot. I seen Lewis do it earlier this year too. It was a mistake. Vettel was pissed because he'd been given a penalty and RBR hadn't told him why, just they'd explain after the race. So Vettel hits a little #3 board and suddenly he's immature. Lewis is shouting and crying on the radio about the team chosing the wrong tyres at Albert Park, and he's not immature. Really? Come on, standards!

To the same extent though, when Webber speaks out it's called Aussie-Grit and having a personality. When Vettel speaks out he's being immature. See where this is going?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 11:10AM by DaveEllis.
i don't know Dave i think the Webber-Rosberg contact was unavoidable, but more important than that is that Webber lost the car on his own and Rosberg was just a passenger who ulnlucky for him choosed the wrong place to avoid a moving crashed gp car.

a lot of people wondered why Raikkonen didn't got a penalty in Monaco for taking out a Force India couple of years ago... the accident cearly originated while Raikkonen wasn't "making a move" on the FI, and the conditions wheren't 100% there either

imho Sutil got out of Korea very lucky, he was causing a lot of trouble, running wide, pushing others out and cutting corners, and if he knew about the brake problems he was being very "irresponsible" by racing as hard as he was with a brake problem

there's always going to be human errors in this sport, the way i see it it's like a soccer player getting a red card or causing a penalty for his team with an "involuntary hand" inside the area..... even if it's not his intention, he still has it "the right place at the wrong time"
Crashing into your team-mate (like Vettel in Turkey) is always going to draw a more negative reaction than crashing into somebody else. Like Incident said above, I don't think people liked reactions like his crazy signal in Turkey.

But it would be false to assume that there was not an element of popularity in all of this. Hockenheim this year is a good example. If it was Fernando getting the order to let Felipe past, I think there would have been a lower response.

Stewarding always has been and always will be inconsistent. Buemi's error was no worse than Kimi at Monaco in 2008, and yet only one was penalised. Petrov and Massa at Suzuka both had drivers moving in front of them that caused their accidents, but only one was penalised.

DaveEllis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lewis is
> shouting and crying on the radio about the team
> chosing the wrong tyres at Albert Park, and he's
> not immature. Really? Come on, standards!

I think people did get angry about Lewis on the radio at Albert Park. I don't know if I posted it here or not, but I thought it was very bad.

Also, people didn't like Alonso complaining on the radio in Valencia and Webber in Monza.

X (@ed24f1)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 11:16AM by SchueyFan.
a lot of people wondered why Raikkonen didn't got a penalty in Monaco for taking out a Force India couple of years ago... the accident cearly originated while Raikkonen wasn't "making a move" on the FI, and the conditions wheren't 100% there either

Well there are countless incidents we can talk about from previous years, but things have changed since then. We have a new FIA leader and new stewarding system, with the ex-driver involved. So I don't think it'd be fair to travel back further, to a completely different rule set, to discuss those incidents. I do agree about that incident you mention, it was certainly a head scratcher. But it's difficult to judge here because of the vastly different circumstances now.

i don't know Dave i think the Webber-Rosberg contact was unavoidable, but more important than that is that Webber lost the car on his own and Rosberg was just a passenger who ulnlucky for him choosed the wrong place to avoid a moving crashed gp car.

I see what you are saying, but surely Spa was unavoidable too? Both cars were out of control at that point. Had Vettel hit the wall first would that have made it ok? That was the only difference between the 2 accidents essentially. How to you determine unavoidable? When the car has damage? If Webber had collected Rosberg before contacting the wall would he be more harshly judged for it? Avoidable accidents would be Webber at Aus/Valencia, and Vettel at Turkey. So surely we're still back to square 1 here and asking why different standards are being used to judge others?

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Buemi could've missed Glock, Sutil could have tried a different move on Kobayashi.

I think it is very easy to judge this after they happened. If all those moves turned out OK we wouldn't be saying that Buemi or Sutil should have done things differently.
Imagine Kobayashi's moves two weeks ago.. what if some of those had ended up like the ones in Korea (which they perfectly could)?

We should not penalize drivers for attempting to overtake. We all blame F1 for not having enough overtaking and when someone tries to do so they get penalized.

I was astonished to hear about Sutil and Buemi's incidents. They got penalties by loosing control of their cars in wet and braking while attempting overtaking maneuvers... they are being penalized for racing!
Also, people didn't like Alonso complaining on the radio in Valencia and Webber in Monza.

Alonso could cure cancer and people would hate him. Alonso pointed out a rules violation at Valencia and the way the Lewis fans jumped all over him (especially here and on Twitter) was an embarrassment to F1. It was like watching football fans making racist comments. It was pathetic. Those same people were pretty quiet when Lewis was caught cheating in 2009, and moaning in 2010. Alonso is another perfect example for this thread. A driver who suffers from extreme double standards by F1 fans, especially the English speaking ones.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Most of the stuff that goes on at Red Bull is down to Helmut Marko, not Christian Horner. I think Horner wants to back Webber, but I can imagine Marko is manipulating the team on behalf of Vettel due to the fact that he's a Red Bull development product. Just a thought.

Alonso makes it difficult for the media to warm to him. He's quite an enigma, and in the case of the British media, they really got annoyed with him after Monaco '07. Just for the record, I'm not a fan of either Button or Hamilton, but many Brits new to F1 jumped on the Lewis bandwagon, and this I got pissed off with as his rookie season had many errors and most thought he could do no wrong. Especially James Allen.

I can see the resentment Alonso had, him languishing at the back in a Minardi in '01 and Lewis finding his rookie season in a very good car. This might explain the tepid relationship Fernando had with the British media.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
IMO it's all down to personality. The reason Hamilton and particularly Vettel get so much stick is because they've got it all. Everything has been arranged for them, they have always had drives at top teams (or in Vettels case, knew he was to get one in the foreseeable future). The same for Schumacher. He's always been at a top team, and was either loved or hated (note how he's become more popular now he doesn't have the best car), but would always get more stick than other drivers. Whereas Webber actually climbed a ladder in F1. He's has tonnes of bad luck throughout his carreer and now he's finally in a top team, which has taken him nearly a decade and now he's finally successful. People like such stories and thus that makes Webber a likeable person. Vettel is seen as a spoiled brat who deserves to be put back into his place from time to time and Webber as someone who has dragged himself up from the gutter. So people want Webber to win. And on that basis, Webber and Vettel are judged differently, because people can't be unbiased. This little thing always plays a part in your perception. If you like a person more, you're bound to cut him some slack. (This all doesn't go for the FIA, obviously (well at least I hope so ;)))
I must admit, I am British and I am not Alonso's biggest fan. He seems to be the common denominator for most controversies in F1 (Singapore-Piquet,Spying-Scandal,Hockenheim this year etc).

Also, he could have won the championship quite easily in 2008, but his stubborn attitude and Hamiltons inexperience (or incompetence) let Kimi win.

I agree loosely with Nick. Webber did it the old fashioned way, making sacrifices and getting into F1 quite late by current standards, and I think people subconsciously like him for that approach - knowing he's not got all the talent, but that he's a ballsy guy who'll do what he can to use what ability he does have to win. A Mansell sort of driver I suppose - just without the most of the moaning. I also couldn't understand the criticism he got earlier in his career - calling him a qualifying expert and all of that, so I wanted him to succeed just to get some others to STFU.

Vettel and Hamilton had their paths lay down for them. They knew they were getting to F1 and so did their sponsors, mentors and investors. They've plenty of natural ability and we all expect them to win further titles between them. As getting into F1 goes, they (Hamilton in particular) could barely have had it easier.

I like Vettel. He's got a fun character to him compared to the relatively wooden Hamilton and he's always been encouraged to show his natural personality. He's also massive fun to watch (though the driveability of the engine and car helps of course).

The reason I didn't like Hamilton in 2007 was that he was being neutered by McLaren's PR department - there was zero personality but what little character there was wasn't good... then in 2008 it started to become clearer that he was a bit of a twat who just won or moaned. After Melbourne 2009 he changed and he was made to realise things aren't always presented to you on a plate and you have to deal with it sometimes, and he's been a lot easier to like since - the presence of Button seems to have helped him no end too.

As to the first point Dave made, I think it's the nature of the mistakes which are made. On Sunday Webber made a mistake and paid for it (as did Rosberg)*. Vettel at Spa meanwhile made a horrible error of judgement (darting out of a slipstream just as they were braking). While Webber made a mistake you'd expect a rookie to make, Vettel's was one which you'd see in the lower formulae.

* On that note, I stated in the race thread that I didn't like how Webber continued to (or didn't correct) the car steering towards Rosberg. Of course he couldn't do much to slow it down, but after he regained the wheel, he continued to steer across the track as fast as possible. It probably wouldn't have made much difference with only part of one front wheel contacting the ground and both rear wheels steering the car, but you'd expect instinct to try to steer away from the car doing 100mph into the side of you, not towards it.

To be honest, Vettel reminds me of my old GPL driving style around the time I started in VT - everything had to be done with a panache and a flair and I could pull out a hotlap out of nowhere, getting plenty of poles and fastest laps, sliding everywhere, overtaking around the outside of Indianapolis at Le Mans, etc... but I made a lot of mistakes as a result and consequently won far less races than I should have done and I got frustrated at that. OK, so a lot of Vettel's (lack of) conversion rate is down to car issues, but while I can sympathise when he makes a mistake such as Spa, also in the back of my mind I think from my own limited experience "this guy is going to have to learn that sometimes style isn't everything" and I'll comment here on both aspects happily. I calmed down and became a far more rounded driver, and while I certainly hope Vettel doesn't change his style, if he's as bothered by the statistics as some say (he is German after all ;)), then he will have to mature.

Webber generally does accept blame straight away. Vettel lets things linger and then sometimes gives a hint of coming to his senses in the following days. He rarely accepts blame outright, while Webber holds his hands up when he's made a boob.

In terms of the last couple of paragraphs, Hamilton was exactly the same.

In summary really it just shows how good the PR guys are. ;)

I can't explain why one gets penalties get handed out to one while another ought to have a penalty for something else, but it's right that Vettel got one at Spa due to sheer stupidity more than anything. Webber should have had one at Melbourne too (though he was just caught out rather than making a move himself), but other than that, mistakes such as Kimi's at Monaco generally aren't penalised unless you're further down the grid such as Buemi on Sunday... which is terrible.

Sutil on the other hand was a penalty waiting to happen. From the first corner the only bet you needed to place was what lap he got a drive through or binned it. It's like he knows he has a wet weather reputation so tried especially hard to reinforce it. Not wise. It's what we'd expect from our stereotypical Japanese drivers past and present.

Edit: wow, that's even longer than Dave's post!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 12:49PM by gav.
I'd just like to point out that webber crashing was my fault. I got impatient, see, and made the korean GP thread. The only other one I made this year was Valencia. See the link?
MikaHalpinen Wrote:
> I'd just like to point out that webber crashing
> was my fault. I got impatient, see, and made the
> korean GP thread. The only other one I made this
> year was Valencia. See the link?

Don't make another then!

I think a lot of it is down to the media. The drivers (and other team personnel) who are co-operative with the media get a better showing, so people get a better vibe from them and liken to them. For example Alonso really dis-likes the British media, hence he is always a bit off with them and that spreads across to the British fans. Whereas in Spain, he comes across as a really decent bloke and quite co-operative and laid back. Same goes for Webber, Button, Vettel and Rubens, who do interviews for Spanish TV at pretty much every grand prix. Obviously there is Jaime and Pedro (well used to be) to that list too. Pedro also did the commentary before joining Sauber, so he got quite a lot of exposure from that.

Then on the flip-side you have Hamilton, who rarely talks to the Spanish TV and when he does, he doesn´t come across very good, always a bit smug and like he´s reading a PR script, add to that Alonso-Mclaren stuff. He actually isn´t as disliked as what it seems Alonso is in Britain, and is regularly praised by the commentators for his driving (when deserved, such as yesterday). So in Spain, from my experience, Hamilton is really the only driver who is generally not liked.

At the end of the day we all base our opinions on drivers from what we see on TV, newspapers, etc and we see what media companies want us to see. It´s hard to like someone who comes across as a bit of nob.
"Australia with Lewis, Valencia with Heikki and Korea with Rosberg"

because at least two of those incidents were not 100% Webber's fault, unlike the ones you mentioned about Vettel.

Australia - Alonso and Lewis were off line, Alonso squeezed Lewis and they because of this braked earlier, Webber was caught out and hit Lewis. Still his fault but more factors that Vettel's accidents.

Valencia - Caught out by early braking Kovalainen. Again, his fault but I honestly think if Vettel or Lewis were in that position a similar incident would have happened.

Korea - Made a mistake in the rain when pushing to catch Vettel. After he hit the wall he was a passenger really, you can't bring the fact that he slid into the path of Nico into the equation, that's what happens with walled circuits.
And yeah a lot of English fans are racist, fascist and plain stupid and will always hate Alonso/Vettel/Massa purely because they have run-ins with their own drivers. And need I mention the animosity between English and German footy fans?
airefresco
He actually isn´t as disliked as what it seems Alonso is in Britain

I don't think the media dislike Alonso generally (Brundle doesn't seem to like him though, and any opportunity to be critical of him he grasps, but that could a backhanded compliment too), but the less educated British (English?) fans do, primarily because they see him as losing Hamilton that championship and they think the internal squabbling in McLaren that season was fully down to Alonso.

It goes against my probably infamous views on fanboys - I hate them wish a passion. I don't mind people who have a view on a race or a situation and then post something about their favoured driver, but those who post simply because x did well or y did bad and are almost oblivious to the other 23 drivers... GRRRRRRR!

I never mentioned it, but on Sunday Chet wound me up no end when he posted something along the lines of ":D :D :D :D" when Vettel retired. We all know Chet dislikes Vettel, but something along the lines of "I don't like Vettel and it's karma for him complaining about the dark, but he deserved to win that race" shows a maturity and commands more respect than the same person loses by posting ":D :D :D :D".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2010 10:29PM by gav.
Yeah but come on, it's nothing personal against Vettel it's just that I'd rather Webber was champion than Vettel. So you still feel :D :D :D :D when the situation arises and yet also acknowledge that he did probably deserve to win the race. We all have favourites, logically or otherwise and when something happens to other drivers which favours your favourite then the immediate reaction to this is :D :D :D :D.
gav Wrote:
> I don't think the media dislike Alonso generally
> (Brundle doesn't seem to like him though, and any
> opportunity to be critical of him he grasps, but
> that could a backhanded compliment too),

In Alonso´s case it is probably a bit different as he really does have a problem with media. He is completely different with the British media then the Spanish and probably Italian now. He said in an interview once that (and I can´t remember his exact words) the British media are the people most disruptive to his career. Obviously if he seems a bit offish in interviews or whatever, people are going to build opinions based on that, hence why a lot of people (mainly British) don´t like for him. Once you don´t like somebody it´s very easy to find faults and blame them. Perfect example in this thread;

"I must admit, I am British and I am not Alonso's biggest fan. He seems to be the common denominator for most controversies in F1 (Singapore-Piquet,Spying-Scandal,Hockenheim this year etc)." 3 scandals, The Piquet thing is a matter of opinion whether he was anything to do that, Spying thing granted, Hockenheim isn´t a scandal, it´s common sense and good business carried out very poorly. Hamilton has been involved in more "scandals" in which he was proven guilty of, yet Matt "is not Alonso´s biggest fan" yet doesn´t appear to dislike Hamilton. Nothing personal by the way, I´m just using this as an example.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy