Meanwhile, In Korea

Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: Meanwhile, In Korea
Date: October 10, 2010 05:32PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Well Zolder, Zandvoort and Estoril don't hold the required licenses. Paul Ricard isn't equipped for hosting an F1 event.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 11, 2010 09:52AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
If they did go to Europe, I can't see them going somewhere that hasn't hosted recent F1 racing or testing, so Jerez, Valencia, Algarve, Magny-Cours, Mugello would all be the most likely I would say.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 11, 2010 01:22PM
Let's inject some reality in this thread.

They won't go to Europe. The cars are in Asia and are staying there until they are scheduled to leave. But even if they could go to Europe, there isn't any options outside 1 or 2 venues.

Estoril, Zolder, Zandvoort, Jerez, Valencia, Algarve, Mugello and Imola (one nobody has mentioned yet, oddly) do not hold the required licenses to host an F1 race. Some hold licenses which allow tests (Grade 1A i think they are referred to), but they don't hold Grade 1s. Paul Ricard may hold a Grade 1, but it doesn't have facilities for a race.

The only option they could possibly look at is Fuji, but even then the logistics of it are now an impossibility. They'd have 1 and a half weeks to setup *everything*. Not happening.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 11, 2010 02:31PM
Posted by: J i m
Exactly... there is no way there is going to be a replacement or reserve Grand Prix, logistically it would be a nightmare and incredibly expensive, and who's going to want to waste that kind of money? Certainly not Bernie.

The only nearly slightly viable option would be to like I said... replace the young driver test at Abu Dhabi with a race instead. But that is not going to happen for other organisational issues.

And anyway shockingly it's starting to look like Korea will make it....or the FIA and Bernie turn the other cheek if it doesn't quite meet with their demands.

Date: October 11, 2010 04:45PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Even more reality:

If Korea doesn't happen a plan has very likely already been established and if there's a replacement track then it has already been contacted. It's probably been set for a few weeks.

More reality edit: it will also not be something that pleases us ;)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 04:46PM by Guimengo.
Date: October 11, 2010 06:06PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I don't mean to urinate on your neatly stoked bonfire, but Korea is basically finished. And if it doesn't pass the inspection, then it's a 4 week gap, I'm afraid.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 11, 2010 06:15PM
I don't mean to urinate on your neatly stoked bonfire, but Korea is basically finished. And if it doesn't pass the inspection, then it's a 4 week gap, I'm afraid.

Well, no, it isn't. There's actually a LOT that was meant to be done. However the target has now changed from "Finished" to "just enough to host a GP". The tarmac curing time is also longer than than the available time it's had, so there is a very strong possibility of the surface getting torn up by the cars in FP1 when it hasn't cured properly.

theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: October 11, 2010 06:44PM
Posted by: ralv585
I was in Korea from January to April, and the weather was terrible!

Everything was snowed in till early March and even when the weather turned for the better, another snow storm hits.

They lost at least two months just because of the weather, it should have been completed some time during the summer, so they've had a lot of catching up to do.

I just hope the race goes ahead as i love Korea, and it would be great for the country.

I dont hold out much hope for a sell out crowd though, it's a 4 hour drive from Seoul, making it an 8 hour round trip.

They are advertising the hell out of it though.

Date: October 12, 2010 06:58AM
Posted by: casabonka
Korea is a go ahead
[www.autosport.com]

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: October 12, 2010 07:40AM
Posted by: EC83
Just heard it on the Sport update on Radio 1 as well. Good stuff.
Looks like we'll have a track that looks more like a construction site in parts, but obviously they're satisfied it's complete enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2010 07:48AM by EC83.
Date: October 12, 2010 09:38AM
Its good that the race is on. I don't think it has a long term future in F1 (in fact, with India, US, Rome etc. coming soon I wouldn't even give it 3 years), but it would be a pity if the championship was shortened.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 12, 2010 12:07PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
yeah, expect to see Sepang and China fall off the radar in coming years too. Apparently Sepang is already in need of massive refurbishment :/
Date: October 12, 2010 12:42PM
I think Sepang will probably survive with the added interest of a half-Malaysian team in F1. China's more doubtful, but I'd say Bernie would step in to keep it there.

I think Turkey's almost definitely gone after next year.

X (@ed24f1)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy