Meanwhile, In Korea

Posted by DaveEllis 
Re: Meanwhile, In Korea
Date: October 01, 2010 05:08PM
Posted by: chet
I think if this race does not go ahead, Bernie should personally pay for all those who have bought a ticket for this race, to go to another race inc flights and accomodation. When it comes down to it, the fault should be lied at him, and the FIA, no one else before they let us buy tickets for GP's they are the ones who have to make sure a GP will go ahead.

The problems don't really stop even if they do finish it in time. There's no infrastructure in place around the circuit, the roads are apparently in no fit state to cope with the event, and the nearest large-ish populated area is a 4 to 5 hour drive away!

Didnt know that!

What a mess.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: October 01, 2010 06:43PM
Posted by: marcl
I really cannot see this happening, just like I cannot see India happening next year.

This will have a big impact on the world championship and if it does not go ahead I can see RBR and Mclaren saying sorry to Vettel and Button but they have to support the driver ahead in the championship as early as Japan.
Date: October 01, 2010 07:03PM
I think India will go ahead. There is a genuine interest in F1 in India. in fact a HUGE interest. They will make it happen. Its been on the cards for a while but I guess bernie waited a while..

Date: October 01, 2010 07:48PM
Posted by: 97kirkc
The original plan was for this to be a night race round the streets of some city which I cant remember the name of, but that didn't happen for whatever reason(s) so this circuit in the middle of nowhere was the alternative they had!

India really is touch and go. Sure they have the "drive" for it, but there are several large hurdles in the way. The Commonwealth games are late, in an awful state in places and is overbudget by a reported staggering 1700%. Don't let the size of the games fool you, they've had 7 years to prepare for this.

Now the F1 track has the basic foundations laid as far as can be seen, by they are already massively behind schedule, partly because of a longer rain season than expected and also partly because they are having to divert everything for the time being to the Commonwealth games project.

Building a modern F1 track on this evidence in the space of about 10 months before final inspection with pretty much zero cash left? hmm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2010 07:57PM by 97kirkc.
Date: October 01, 2010 08:14PM
Posted by: J i m
Although Bernie said that the people organising the New Delhi common wealth games are not the same people doing the Indian Grand Prix. But yeah... it didn't look very pretty on that little piece the beeb did with Karun and Jake.

Date: October 01, 2010 11:58PM
Posted by: EC83
So it's basically impossible to fill the gap in the schedule that this will leave later this month, I'd imagine. The question must be whether they'll slot another race in after November 14. Back-to-back races at Abu Dhabi would definitely be the most practical option, even if it would ruin the end of the season for the sport and most of the fans IMO.

Date: October 02, 2010 08:15AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Maybe Qatar or Dubai if they want to stay in the Middle East.

There's no reason they couldn't go to Europe after Abu Dhabi and have a race there - they have to go back there anyway.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: October 02, 2010 02:33PM
Posted by: casabonka
don't forget 99, when Argentina wa scrapped from round 2. they just had a 5 week gap and no replacement gp. I can't imagine they'd be able to schedule a replacement.

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: October 07, 2010 06:07PM
If it doesnt meet FIA standard, could they do this?

[www.autosport.com]

So the teams would still go, and the people who paid, but it would be non championship??

Date: October 07, 2010 07:25PM
Posted by: Ali
Would that have any interest, considering how tied the championship is, for the people watching the race at home?
Date: October 07, 2010 07:57PM
Think the replacement event would definitely be a Championship round if it happened. Non-Championship F1 races just don't happen anymore - too much expense by the teams for basically nothing.

There was talk about a non-Championship United States GP being held at the end of 2005 to make up for the Michelin fiasco, but it never came to anything.

Date: October 07, 2010 08:27PM
Posted by: Frantic
i would go to a circuit in Europe that is used regularly, but it isnt in F1 this year, like, Nurburgring / Imola. In South America there is apart from Interlagos, Potrero de los Funes in Argentina, FIA GT raced once of twice there and it is a very nice circuit

Date: October 07, 2010 08:42PM
LOL, Nurburgring at the end of November... That would be epic :D

Date: October 07, 2010 08:52PM
Posted by: matt3454
They should just drive reverse around Abu Dhabi.

Date: October 08, 2010 07:44AM
Posted by: shep34
matt3454 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They should just drive reverse around Abu Dhabi.

That would be interesting to see! lol

What about heading to Dubai Autodrome! [www.dubaiautodrome.com]
Not sure how good a condition it is in in real life, but the GP4 version by gildoorf is pretty cool!!!
Date: October 09, 2010 06:22PM
Posted by: Gigi4
That way we can play it on GP4 :-)

Date: October 09, 2010 07:08PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
From pictures, the track seems nearly finished. The inspection is soon, so they've finished putting kerbs in and have done the last asphalt layer. Let's hope it passes scrutiny.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: October 09, 2010 07:30PM
This'll be the closest they've ever cut it, IMO, and got away with it, if it does pass. EJ was saying he thought it would(At least I think he did - I was pretty sleepy at the time if I'm honest), but we know what he's like LOL.

Date: October 10, 2010 04:48AM
Posted by: slicer
Well how much time did they have in the first place to build this thing? Either they weren't given enough time or someone slacked off big time in Korea like a typical American teenager in his senior year in high school. I am hoping they pull something out of the bag because from the on board footage it looks like a neat track.

(The Slicerer stands behind his statement of American people. The Slicerer is American himself so no need to worry. Paid for by the National Association of Brainiacs America. America.... America.)

-------------------------------------------------
Yes, thank you for noticing I am the most amazing being in the galaxy.
Date: October 10, 2010 04:25PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
Why can't we go to Paul Ricard? It's always ready for when they need it but I think the racing may be a tad boring? A better choice would be Zandvoort or Zolder, something like that. Althought I'm not sure what sort of state they're in. Is Estoril still standing these days??
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy