SportsCarArchives.com
Re: Meanwhile, In Korea
Date: September 29, 2010 09:54PM
Posted by: miffy
0.o must of been made in China eh ? ;)
Date: September 29, 2010 11:24PM
Posted by: Monza972
This race HAS to be postponed now surely!
Date: September 30, 2010 12:28AM
Posted by: Diax F1
What the hell-ass...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2010 12:28AM by Diax F1.
Date: September 30, 2010 04:30AM
Posted by: Lex
A new chicane, eh?

Um dois três quatro cinco seis sete oito nove dez
Eins zwei drei vier fünf sechs sieben acht neun zehn
One two three four five six seven eight nine ten
Один два три четыре пять шесть семь восемь девять десять
Date: September 30, 2010 05:28AM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Its a disgrace they keep delaying the inspection. Its meant to be done 90 days in advance, and now it won't be done until 10 days before the race.

If its not going to be on, then bite the bullet and organise a replacement event somewhere in Europe (Jerez, Magny-Cours, Paul Ricard, Valencia etc.) or even stay in Europe (Fuji) so it doesn't affect the championship battle.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 30, 2010 08:52AM
Posted by: Slash
you mean stay in Asia?.. i think they'll make it... Bernie 's probably on the ph 24/7 with those guys
Date: September 30, 2010 11:07AM
Posted by: alexf1man
DaveEllis, I think the builders got bored so they wanted a new party trick with their machinery
Date: September 30, 2010 04:52PM
Posted by: msater
SchueyFan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its a disgrace they keep delaying the inspection.
> Its meant to be done 90 days in advance, and now
> it won't be done until 10 days before the race.
>
> If its not going to be on, then bite the bullet
> and organise a replacement event somewhere in
> Europe (Jerez, Magny-Cours, Paul Ricard, Valencia
> etc.) or even stay in Europe (Fuji) so it doesn't
> affect the championship battle.

+1

Personally I'd like to see a replacement event at Jerez, but it would mean coming back to Europe after Suzuka, then going back out to Brazil for Interlagos, so staying in Japan for Fuji is probably a better option.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 30, 2010 04:57PM
Posted by: vbc
The Korean F1 track will be like F1 2010 from CodeMasters ... full of problems (because both needed more time to be done properly).

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: September 30, 2010 07:47PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I love how people complain that F1 2010 wasn't out early enough and when it did come out, it was too unfinished. But back to the topic .

It really should be elsewhere. Fuji would have been a better option (and it would have been 'rebranded' as the Pacific Grand Prix, just as Aida was. )

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 30, 2010 08:31PM
Posted by: J i m
I would have thought that an obvious solution would be to have an extra race at Abu Dhabi since they'd be there for testing anyway.

Date: September 30, 2010 08:56PM
Posted by: Slash
i don't think it will be possible, i think either the race takes place or it's cancelled...

however i would rather see a race at Indy than many of the circuits mentioned
Date: September 30, 2010 09:44PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
Slash Wrote:
> you mean stay in Asia?.

Yes.

Slash Wrote:
> however i would rather see a race at Indy than
> many of the circuits mentioned

Indy may give a better race, but I don't know if it could be ready (and get a good crowd) in a short time. Hold it in Spain, and with Alonso in the title fight, it would probably get a huge crowd.

msater Wrote:
> Personally I'd like to see a replacement event at
> Jerez, but it would mean coming back to Europe
> after Suzuka, then going back out to Brazil for
> Interlagos, so staying in Japan for Fuji is
> probably a better option.

I don't think Europe would be impossible, as I doubt they would go straight to Brazil from Japan if Korea was cancelled, they'd probably go back to Europe.

Bernie would have to give them some money for the extra travel costs, but I'm sure he would rather do that than pay all the television broadcasters and sponsors for lost revenue.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 30, 2010 10:28PM
Posted by: gav
This is going to be tricky.

On the one hand you've got broadcasters, sponsors, local businesses, airlines and spectators who need to be satisfied.

On the other hand, shifting all of that lot to a last minute venue would be horrible logistical mess. Unless a track has had forward notification a lot earlier than we have, I doubt it would even be possible. It's not just the track, but hotels, B&Bs, supporting businesses, local road closures and diversions, presumably a complete lack of fibre-optic cable around the track (which I doubt stays all year round on all but the busiest of track), marshals... and countless other things I can't think of right now.

Should the track not be ready, then the very best case scenario (from a business point of view) I can imagine is a postponement to the end of the season, and I'm sure Abu Dhabi would have plenty to say about that.

I suspect the only other viable option would be cancellation - that way you only have financial implications, and I'm sure Bernie has some hefty insurance policies for these new venues. I'd just hope the supporting small local businesses would get significant compensation too.
Date: September 30, 2010 10:44PM
Posted by: chet
J i m Wrote:
> I would have thought that an obvious solution
> would be to have an extra race at Abu Dhabi since
> they'd be there for testing anyway.

How long will it take for you to understand F1 looks for the most difficult solutions possible. They wont implement what the fans want/whats easier/best for all involved ;)

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 30, 2010 10:55PM
Posted by: vbc
Incident 2k9 Wrote:
> I love how people complain that F1 2010 wasn't out
> early enough and when it did come out, it was too
> unfinished. But back to the topic .
>
> It really should be elsewhere. Fuji would have
> been a better option (and it would have been
> 'rebranded' as the Pacific Grand Prix, just as
> Aida was. )

Yes, F1 games need to be done properly and that takes years, like GPX games ... unfortunately fanboys, arcade lovers and money ambition induce people to take wrong decisions.

It's a shame that a round in the Formula 1 World Championship may be affected by the incompetence of some people, those are the organizers.
Anyway, we'll see what happens in next weeks.

Thanks GP3Hotlaps
Date: October 01, 2010 12:14AM
Posted by: 97kirkc
The writing has been on the wall for a while, and what is going on in Delhi for the Commonwealth games must make the most optimistic FIA staff member feel like they are looking into a mirror.

The problems don't really stop even if they do finish it in time. There's no infrastructure in place around the circuit, the roads are apparently in no fit state to cope with the event, and the nearest large-ish populated area is a 4 to 5 hour drive away! (which is where the nearest airport is as well, with rumours that the airport wont be able to cope with the extra planes required) Even the most hardcore F1 fan would be thinking twice about a 9 hour round trip to the middle of nowhere (with public transport being pushed as the main way to get there a la Donington) with little to no hospitality and a half built circuit. For these reasons the organisers are refusing to reveal how many tickets have actually been sold, and its not surprising.

If they do manage to pull of a miracle, 2011, despite a more polished venue could be even more difficult to attract any type of fan-base they manage to make this time round.

Date: October 01, 2010 03:02PM
Posted by: dio69
SchueyFan Wrote:
Hold it in Spain, and with Alonso in
> the title fight, it would probably get a huge
> crowd.

There is a new spanish f1-spec circuit.
And completely agree with tou there! The spanish crowd rules, even here with the motogp hold at estoril, there are, by far, more spanish crowd than portuguese crowd.
So if another race is organized in replacement, i think it should it be in Spain.
Date: October 01, 2010 04:36PM
Posted by: J i m
I still highly doubt any race would be organised at late notice to replace any Grand Prix. As Gav has pretty much pointed out organising a Grand Prix in the first place is a huge task and incredibly expensive.

The thought that a reserve every season should have a reserve venue for any cancelled race occurs... but that would be an organisational nightmare in itself and I doubt many venues would be willing to undertake that or the inevitable expense.

Like I said... if there was to be a replacement race, then the most cost efficient way of having a race would simply be to replace the Abu Dhabi test with a race... but that would also lack most of the trimming of an actual Grand Prix. So although it is probably the most sensible solution it is also as unlikely as any other.

Apart from that you'd assume the most availably ready venues would be Barcelona, Jerez (though that would mean 3 races in Spain!) Portimao, Imola, Mugello, Fiorano, Paul Ricard and um Silverstone. But none of these would be likely held as a proper Grand Prix, mainly because organising hospitality, accommodation and traffic in such short notice would be a mission.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy