The Official 2010 Singapore Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***

Posted by tozequio 
Better late than never :P Hopefully unsettled weather will provide some good racing, unlike previous years...

Rain would be interesting, but I don't really want too much heavy rain, because it will almost certainly lead to red flags/safety cars.

Either way, it should be a good race - this is a great track.

Also, one thing to watch out for, if there are some safety cars, is the 2 hour race limit - the last two races here have been within five minutes of it, and with full fuel loads, it could be close.

X (@ed24f1)
If there is any spray they won't be able to race. Simple. If it's damp they should be OK.

I've said that every year since 2008 and one of these years we'll have rain and a race on the Monday. ;)

It's one of my favourite tracks though. It's everything a Tilke track isn't - bumpy, tight, unforgiving, challenging - it's brutal. It's a trip back to what racing was like before we had more tarmac in the run-off areas than on the track.
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If there is any spray they won't be able to race.
> Simple. If it's damp they should be OK.
>
> I've said that every year since 2008 and one of
> these years we'll have rain and a race on the
> Monday. ;)
>
> It's one of my favourite tracks though. It's
> everything a Tilke track isn't - bumpy, tight,
> unforgiving, challenging - it's brutal. It's a
> trip back to what racing was like before we had
> more tarmac in the run-off areas than on the
> track.

theres some articles about some "improvements" they made on the track, apparently they resurfaced the bumpy areas and they also modified the kerbs on the chicane where Kimi crashed his car in 2008........ in another words, they made it easier...
They said they'd done the same last year, but it was exactly the same. ;)
Re: The Official 2010 Singapore Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: September 23, 2010 10:41PM
Posted by: Anonymous User
gav Wrote:
> Simple.

Really?? It's pretty well lit.
That's exactly the problem - the refractions on the visor are horrible. It's blinding on a bike on a road at night.

The Qatar MotoGP race last year was postponed due to it raining, and the spray there was far, far less than in any car, let alone ones with big beefy diffusers, wings and tyres.
We hear the same thing every bloody year, rain rain rain. The race is then always dry lol,

Vital weekend for Button, alonso and vettel.
I also think that if it rains too heavily the race has to be postponed. Just imagine: the lights are reflected on the wet surface, plus the heavy spray coming out from the next car, not to mention the ligtning, which is not impossible. However, a light rain could be interesting, and still dangerous...

Button and Vettel must win, Webber needs to keep ahead of Hamilton and don't forget Alonso. But I reckon that this is a race for the Red Bulls.

Stats: 139 Starts / 7 Wins / 9 Poles / 5 Fastest laps
Re: The Official 2010 Singapore Grand Prix Thread ***SPOILERS***
Date: September 24, 2010 12:44AM
Posted by: Anonymous User
I have never experienced refraction like that before so I wasn't sure if it would be an issue. I don't have a bike so I'll take your word for it :P

I want Webber to win. I think he deserves this championship more than anyone else.
gav Wrote:
> Simple. If it's damp they should be OK.
>
> I've said that every year since 2008 and one of
> these years we'll have rain and a race on the
> Monday. ;)

I remember last year the forecast was for a massive thunderstorm and torrential rain on the evening of the race... LOL :P
It would be interesting as to what they'd do if Sunday night was a washout though. How likely would it actually be for them to put the race off till Monday? It'd be unprecedented, but if it rained like it can do there, I can't see them having any alternative.

> It's one of my favourite tracks though. It's
> everything a Tilke track isn't - bumpy, tight,
> unforgiving, challenging - it's brutal. It's a
> trip back to what racing was like before we had
> more tarmac in the run-off areas than on the
> track.

Agreed, it's awesome. I hope there's been no attempt to resurface it to get rid of the bumps - they can only be good, and the ones here are brilliant. They remind me of the bumps at Phoenix where the cars went over road junctions and struck huge showers of sparks - sexy. :D

For the record, I do think the bumps on the straight were a touch over the top. It's great to see sparks and cars dancing on the straights, but I wouldn't be too bothered if they've shaved off some of the more severe bumps. Just don't make it smooth. Make the drivers work for once. ;)
Klien driving this week instead of a food-poisoned Yamamoto. Chandhok to probably never drive in F1 again then.
Practice is live on [stream.speedtv.com] for those interested :)
I really am starting to think now the championship is going to be over for Lewis and Button as they cannot match Ferrari and Rbr and the tracks coming up are going to suit the others even more.
i wonder what Mclaren and Mercedes will say about the regulations now, and what the teams are doing........
clearly Monza and Spa beneffited them more due to the nature of the tracks and the characteristics of their cars... but today they've recieved a hit of reality!... i want to see how quicker RBR will be in Suzuka, that's gonna be embarrasing

i also hope Webber and Vettel don't throw this advantage away as they've been doing all year, Vettel mostly...
gav Wrote:
> That's exactly the problem - the refractions on
> the visor are horrible. It's blinding on a bike on
> a road at night.
>
> The Qatar MotoGP race last year was postponed due
> to it raining, and the spray there was far, far
> less than in any car, let alone ones with big
> beefy diffusers, wings and tyres.

Dark visors, similar to sunglasses, could really help actually.
I wouldn't write McLaren off at all. They can develop a car at an astonishingly rude rate... not only that it would only take a shower, or a safety car or something to turn a race on it's head.

This championship is still open to all of the top 3 teams and 5 drivers.

quick Nick looking quick right away!!!
It might rain in the afternoon/evening today. Not at night though...dark clouds are already hovering above.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy