Raikkonen bids for 2011 Renault seat

Posted by LS. 
Raikkonen bids for 2011 Renault seat
Date: September 14, 2010 09:35AM
Posted by: LS.
[www.autosport.com]

Kimi Raikkonen is making a fresh bid to return to Formula 1 next year after approaching the Renault team for a drive in 2011, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Although it had looked likely that Raikkonen would remain in the World Rally Championship next year after his switch of discipline for this season, AUTOSPORT has learned that Raikkonen has renewed his interest in getting back to grand prix racing.

Sources have revealed that in the wake of Renault's impressive form at the Belgian Grand Prix, Raikkonen approached the French car manufacturer with the intent of putting a deal together.

It is not clear, however, whether Raikkonen spoke to Renault himself or if it was done through his management team.

Raikkonen has always insisted that he would only come back to F1 if he was in a competitive car - and that is something that Renault now appears to be able to offer him.

But despite Raikkonen's credentials, Renault is in no rush to advance talks with him - and it is still holding on for current driver Vitaly Petrov to prove he can deliver what the team is demanding of him.

Renault team principal Eric Boullier confirmed that Raikkonen had approached the team - and is in contention for a seat alongside Robert Kubica in 2011.

"It is true that the summer has passed and we have had more and more requests - and the guy you mentioned [Raikkonen] is on the radar now," Boullier told AUTOSPORT.

"He is on the radar because he contacted us."

Boullier has long said that the team will keep Petrov next year if the Russian can improve his consistency throughout a whole race weekend - and not make silly errors like his spin in qualifying in Spa and blocking Timo Glock in qualifying at Monza.

When asked what Petrov had to do to convince Renault that he is a better option than Raikkonen, Boullier said: "He is not very far away to be honest.

"It is still very complicated for him to have a complete weekend and be faultless, and that is where he needs to work and focus on, and develop clearly his commitment and dedication."

One of the attractions of Petrov is the commercial possibilities he opens up in Russia, and Boullier said Renault would have to change its approach if it decided to take the Raikkonen route.

"It would be a different strategy for the team," he said. "And that is not a question of personality or having a world championship title - it will cost me more if he is world champion than if he is not. It is not a question of this - it is a different strategy.

"You work differently if you have a rookie - and in supporting him - than if you have two experienced drivers. So it is different.

"We need to think about it. But the priority is Vitaly, and to see how he will develop. If we are convinced then we will keep him definitely. This is the first option.

But there are several other options, and one of them is Kimi."

Boullier said he expected a decision on Renault's 2011 driver line-up to be made before the end of the season.

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Re: Raikkonen bids for 2011 Renault seat
Date: September 14, 2010 09:38AM
Posted by: LS.
If that Joker wants his $25m retainer, Renault would be better off doing what Ford did with Mcrae and using the funds to develop the car, Kubica seems to be doing quite nicely, Raikkonen the sort to get bored and leave if the car isnt fully developed imho

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: September 14, 2010 11:46AM
Posted by: chet
Dont tease us Kimi. Please, please just come back.

He'll be refreshed, and I hope ready to go. If that is the case, then good luck to Lewis and Alonso :p

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 14, 2010 01:28PM
Posted by: zulu_85
I have to say I got bored of Kimi after he seemed to get bored himself at Ferrari - that was until after Massa's accident when it seemed he came back alive and I was suddenly disappointed that he left at the end of the season. Much as I keep saying I really want/hope Petrov remains there next year, a Kubica/Raikkonen partnership would be absolutely fantastic and brilliant to watch, imo. Just as long as Kimi keeps his motivation going.
Date: September 14, 2010 02:35PM
Posted by: J i m
That's the thing with Kimi... he's a bit of a get in and go driver. We all love his lack of personality which ironically makes him one of the most charismatic drivers out there... but he's not a driver who'll push the development of a car and team forward... he's far more plug and play, which is a shame because McLaren always said his actual feedback was excellent.

Date: September 14, 2010 02:44PM
Posted by: Gigi4
J i m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >he's far more plug and play

A USB drive(r)

Date: September 14, 2010 04:12PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Kimi can stay in the WRC
Date: September 14, 2010 04:45PM
Posted by: vesuvius
this seems like that Renault is after sponsors ...would like it to be true but I don't think so.
Date: September 14, 2010 05:45PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
They'd be better off with Glock or Sutil. Those two deserve better and it would be better for development.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 14, 2010 05:58PM
I am cheering for Bruno Senna to get the Renault seat, Adrian Sutil being my very 2nd favorite for the best possible available seat.
Date: September 14, 2010 07:26PM
I doubt we'll see Bruno in F1 next year to be honest. There aren't many seats up for grabs... and the ones that are... could be quite political.

There aren't going to be many driver changes into next season in my view... the most likely is probably Paul di Resta in at Force India over Tonio Luizzi.

Date: September 14, 2010 08:37PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I don't think it will happen, but it would be fascinating to see Kimi at Renault. If he was his pre-2008 self again, it would be incredible to see him against Vettel, Hamilton and co., not to mention his intra-team battle with Kubica.

Its interesting that Boullier actually named Kimi in the article though, which certainly gives the story some credibility.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 14, 2010 08:48PM
Posted by: Frantic
with that and similar cars in terms of performance like this year, we would have a superb battle in 2011. Button, Hamilton, Massa, Alonso, Webber, Vettel, Rosberg, Schumacher, Kubica and Kimi!!it would be amazing, but i dont think its gonna happen. my hope for next year is Trulli retiring, Petrov going to Lotus, and Bruno Senna (im sure Bernie wants him in a better team in F1) to Renault

and why not, MS retiring and Kimi to Mercedes! ;) but if Kimi goes to Renault and Petrov gets in Lotus dropping Trulli, and Bruno Senna gets a better team (force india pleaseeeee), i would be happy

Date: September 14, 2010 09:15PM
Jim, Frantic has a point regarding Bruno. I'd not rule out even a desperation move to STR.
Date: September 14, 2010 10:02PM
Bernie might or might not want Bruno in F1... but he can't tell the teams what driver to put in their cars. Realistically his only option is going to be Hispania if they survive in any form at all.

Renault is unlikey in my view, Lotus seem keen on keeping both Heikki and Trulli... (though there is speculation that Renault could place Petrov there), Glock is contracted at Virgin, don't know about Di Grassi but I imagine he'l be staying, STR long ago confirmed both Buemi and Alguersuari.

The only team I really see having a open vacancy is Force India....and like I said the logical choice there would be Paul di Resta.

Date: September 14, 2010 10:14PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I think Bernie would be more interested in helping Chandhok than Senna for 2011 - as Karun would significantly boost the interest in the Indian GP next year.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 14, 2010 10:18PM
Posted by: gav
Not just the Indian GP, but the Indian market, and while Brazil isn't a small market, it's nothing compared to the barely-exploited India... there's boundless potential there.

India is not like Turkey or Malaysia - the interest is already there, and was even before the GP was announced. Whether they can fill the track is another matter - that will depend on pricing - but the interest is vast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2010 10:19PM by gav.
Date: September 14, 2010 10:21PM
A ton of potential in India, definitely, however Brazil's momentum is very strong with several companies having major players based in Brazil. Bernie cannot tell a team to put so and so in the cockpit but he can work out provisional deals with possible sponsors/backers and present them to teams in need - HRT being one.
Date: September 14, 2010 10:26PM
I dearly hope that Chandhok gets a drive again, and not because of nationalities or markets or any of that political bullshit. I think he did an exceptional job under very difficult circumstances all year. It would nice to see him have a chance in a respectable car.

Date: September 15, 2010 12:21AM
Posted by: matt3454
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not just the Indian GP, but the Indian market, and
> while Brazil isn't a small market, it's nothing
> compared to the barely-exploited India... there's
> boundless potential there.
>
> India is not like Turkey or Malaysia - the
> interest is already there, and was even before the
> GP was announced. Whether they can fill the track
> is another matter - that will depend on pricing -
> but the interest is vast.

apparantly they are trying to get the pricing as around the same as the IPL, which is very very well attended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy