No new teams for 2011

Posted by zulu_85 
No new teams for 2011
Date: September 09, 2010 11:20AM
Posted by: zulu_85
Surprised that this isn't here already. Or should I say, I hope this isn't here already...

======================================

The FIA has announced that none of the organisations bidding to become Formula 1's 13th team in 2011 have met its requirements, and that the grid will therefore stay at 24 cars.

The governing body had invited applications from parties interested in filling the slot left vacant by the collapse of the US F1 project on the eve of the 2010 season.

Several teams put in applications, including a partnership between former world champion Jacques Villeneuve and Italian ex-GP2 team Durango, plus a new bid from rejected 2009 applicant Epsilon Euskadi.

But the FIA World Motor Sport Council decided in a meeting today that none of the applicants were suitable.

"Following the press release of 19 March 2010 calling for expressions of interest to participate in the 2011 and 2012 seasons of the FIA Formula One World Championship, a number of interested parties expressed their interest," said an FIA statement.

"It was considered that none of the candidates met the requirements to be granted an entry into the championship.

"Consequently, the allocation of the 13th team will not be granted."

[www.autosport.com]

======================================

I'm a little disappointed, I'm still looking forward to a 26-car-grid like dem good ol' days. Sure I suppose the FIA want to avoid a repeat of the farce that surrounded the new teams at the beginning of this year but it does make me wonder just what sort of organisation will appear strong enough for the move into F1 in the future. I'd probably say it's best that new teams wait until 2013 where it appears the field will be sort of levelled again by the new regulations.
Maybe.
Re: No new teams for 2011
Date: September 09, 2010 11:27AM
Posted by: chet
Good imo.

They would then be a further 1second behind Lotus, Virgin, HRT imo.

If Epsilon want to get in, help HRT.

If JV wants a ride/team, he should concentrate on NASCAR.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: September 09, 2010 08:39PM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
It was never gonna happen anyway. The topic was deadly quiet, and the only times we heard about a new team was either when one was pulling out of applications or JV...well, talking. So it's no surprise to me.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: September 09, 2010 08:59PM
Posted by: msater
Epsilon should team up with HRT. Both haven't got much money, but have good potential, especially Epsilon. Could be called HRT Epsilon or something. Epsilon have racing experience and they need a way into F1. HRT shouldn't hesitate imho.

Order a giffgaff SIM from my link and get £5 credit, free!
Season 1 and Season 3 GPGSL World Champion!
Member of CTDP - Cars Tracks Development Program - 3D Carshaper
Date: September 12, 2010 01:53AM
Posted by: Frantic
what FIA should do is pick at the end of this year a team for 2012

Date: September 12, 2010 12:32PM
Posted by: harjinator
good riddance.. the current 3 newbies have been a total waste of time really. I can't see Virgin improving for next year, and HRT will doubtless run out of money soon. Lotus mite improve, but only as far as torro rosso i reckon

Team Japan Owner - GPGNC
Date: September 12, 2010 12:56PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
the current 3 newbies have been a total waste of time really.

Yeah, F1 doesn't need new teams! We should only allow the originals! Ferrari, Talbot, Maserati, Alfa Romeo! And any of those teams not winning shouldn't count!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: September 12, 2010 02:00PM
Posted by: Dahie
I'm wondering what FIA is expecting. Each of the new teams are trying to find investors and are holding back on construction untill they are given green-light. Each said many times, that they wanted the decision earlier, so they can get everything in place. Now FIA waited so long that the teams would struggle nevertheless of their financial situation if they were accepted now. What does the FIA expect? That a team constructs the car first and awaits their acceptance later?

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: September 12, 2010 07:41PM
I agree with Dahie and Frantic. The FIA should be a little bit more realistic and they should go through the decision process much sooner before the team is expected to start. In the meantime I agree with msater as well. I think Epsilon will do well by buying into or buying out HRT.
Date: September 13, 2010 11:04PM
Posted by: J i m
I'm getting quite annoyed with this insistence that the new teams are doing a bad job (with the obvious and very hilarious exception of USF1). You pretty much have to go back to 1997 and Stewart GP for the last true start up from nothing team (I'm not counting Toyota because they had full year testing and bottomless pit of cash to play with), all the other new teams simply took over an existing team...so already had infrastructure and technical strength in depth to draw from.

When they've ran with relative reliability they've generally finished with 2-3 laps of the lead... that's far better than you could say for say for the likes ofMastercard Lola, Fortie Corse, Pacific GP, etc

Date: September 13, 2010 11:32PM
Posted by: gav
And even Stewart had big manufacturer (at the time) backing and far more time than these new teams have had.

Also to keep in mind is that previously the cars have all been much, much further apart than they are now. In 2010 we've got entire sessions separated by 1.5 seconds, barring the new teams. It will be incredibly difficult to break into the 'a-league' and stay there, and despite going about things in 2 ways which could scarcely be any more different, Virgin and Lotus certainly haven't disgraced themselves in my book. HRT are different again, as they did zero testing (presumably their own fault through not drumming up the sponsorship) have still got sod all money and by the looks of things with 2011 looking as if it will need investment just to make it through... yet while they've been consistently slowest, they're hardly miles behind.

Given the circumstances I'm staggered the new teams have come as far as they have so far - Lotus getting to around 0.5 behind STR at Monaco was stunning progress. I just hope the Malaysian consortium behind Lotus get behind them and don't pull out when they're not consistently in the points in 2 or 3 seasons and that Branson is the same.

And I haven't even mentioned Xtrac yet.... Dave. :P
Date: September 14, 2010 01:17AM
Listening to Tony Fernandez on the BBC F1 Forum, it's clear that even though he'd got the old Team Lotus name back for next year, this team is truly the Malaysian national team. He's got huge plans for using Malaysia's engineering and design industries and its universities to help develop the car and team and vice versa. Of course, that's just the plan and even then it's no guarantee of success or longevity, but it sounded mighty impressive. I've got a lot of time for Tony Fernandez and I personally think Lotus might follow in Force India's footsteps performance-wise in the next few seasons.

Of course, while he's in F1, Jake Humphrey is going to continuously pester him about investing in Jake's "other Yellow and Green passion" - as I share that other Yellow and Green passion, this is all only a good thing. :D
Date: September 14, 2010 01:43AM
Yup! Tony seems a great guy, and the decision for him and Mike to take away the entry away from Litespeed (essentially!) seems like it was a great decision. It all came down to money and Tony was offering more.

I think Lotus bagging what will likley be a complete Renault rear-end they should safley be on par with STR next year if not better. STR to me, clearly have no idea what to do with their car. I think its a huge waste of potential and neither driver is upto the job. I think had Buemi and Alg painted their STR's in RBR colours, gave them to Mark and Vettel then we would still see strong point finishes from Mark and Vettel. IMO the biggest letdown at STR are hte drivers, then the fact it seems their engineering team lacks ideas or the ability to develop RBR's ideas.

With Virgin im disapointed in Branson. i really think he should plug more money in because the car has potential, and with a year's experience and data, next years car could be on par with Lotus still. If they sort out their reliability and silly mistakes then they have a good car. But that needs more money.

Date: September 14, 2010 08:28PM
Posted by: SchueyFan
I think STR's problem is probably money. Why would Red Bull bother putting money into that team when they have a championship to win in their main team? You can see with their development that they fall behind quickly. They were the last team to get the double diffuser last year, and they are almost the last team with the F-Duct this year - despite Red Bull having those much earlier in the year.

X (@ed24f1)
Date: September 14, 2010 09:13PM
Posted by: Guimengo
zulu_85 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Listening to Tony Fernandez on the BBC F1 Forum,
> it's clear that even though he'd got the old Team
> Lotus name back for next year, this team is truly
> the Malaysian national team. He's got huge plans
> for using Malaysia's engineering and design
> industries and its universities to help develop
> the car and team and vice versa. Of course, that's
> just the plan and even then it's no guarantee of
> success or longevity, but it sounded mighty
> impressive. I've got a lot of time for Tony
> Fernandez and I personally think Lotus might
> follow in Force India's footsteps performance-wise
> in the next few seasons.

Bringing in all those internal (as in from within the country) resources he'll be able to have a huge workforce for a smaller price. A lot of quality engineers and mechanics dying to prove themselves and taste F1 will definitely be 100% committed to the cause, just to put that on their résumé. Definitely a future force to be reckoned with and I am quite happy to have Lotus so far proving everyone wrong and slapping us on our faces :).
Date: September 14, 2010 09:38PM
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yup! Tony seems a great guy, and the decision for
> him and Mike to take away the entry away from
> Litespeed (essentially!) seems like it was a great
> decision. It all came down to money and Tony was
> offering more.
>
> I think Lotus bagging what will likley be a
> complete Renault rear-end they should safley be on
> par with STR next year if not better. STR to me,
> clearly have no idea what to do with their car. I
> think its a huge waste of potential and neither
> driver is upto the job. I think had Buemi and Alg
> painted their STR's in RBR colours, gave them to
> Mark and Vettel then we would still see strong
> point finishes from Mark and Vettel. IMO the
> biggest letdown at STR are hte drivers, then the
> fact it seems their engineering team lacks ideas
> or the ability to develop RBR's ideas.
>
> With Virgin im disapointed in Branson. i really
> think he should plug more money in because the car
> has potential, and with a year's experience and
> data, next years car could be on par with Lotus
> still. If they sort out their reliability and
> silly mistakes then they have a good car. But that
> needs more money.

STR just won't cut it. If the team was sold to an entity that had plenty of money and couldn't be arsed to get an entry, it would be much better. The idea of a Red Bull junior team worked to produce Vettel, but Buemi and Alguersuari can't cut it at the moment.

Lotus should end up with plenty of points next year, and I've been thoroughly impressed by Fernandes' organisation and Gascoyne's technical brain. The Renault parts should help a lot. Virgin need the CFD basis to really come good, and be a little less conservative in their design. As for Hispania, who knows how quick the car really is? No testing, no new parts, and drivers that really deserve a lot better.

As Dave said, the Xtrac gearboxes have been awful. The Cosworth engine, though, has been reliable and impressive in the Williams. There's a lot to look out for next season.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
Date: September 14, 2010 09:54PM
I disagree with you about Virgin. Of the new teams they were by far the most radical with their design imo. They did start off slow, and slow in development, but now with more and more data coming in, the development has been pretty handy and the car is sprouting lots of redbull type things, and that must be a good thing :p. As I said, next year with a full seasons data, the car should be pretty good. I stand my point last year that their approach isnt ideal and I dont think they will be as successful as Lotus even next year, but if Branson and Wirth keep this project going they are certainly building some good foundations for it now.

Date: September 14, 2010 09:57PM
Posted by: J i m
I was really quite negative about "Lotus" in the beginning... I thought it was piggy backing on the brand of someone else and it was almost an insult to want to be considered as Lotus.

I have to change my tune on this though. From the outset the team has looked extremely impressive, and dare I admit it the Lotus branding has actually been a good thing. This is a smart team that looks very savy, I hope they get some good results soon.

I have just one question for Tony though.... when are you going to sack Gascoyne? :D

Date: September 15, 2010 07:01PM
[en.espnf1.com]

This looks promising. Hopefully it will put HRT under more stable ownership
if JV buys them out...

Date: September 15, 2010 07:42PM
Posted by: davidm
This is interesting. Don't know what the ramifications of HRT being Spanish based, Virgin English and Durango Italian. Maybe that is'nt an issue but probably is for the workforce. Does the FIA have a stance on this? I think Virgin have done well within their resources but I don't think Branson looks at F1 like Tony Fernandes. To him its about the Virgin brand and brand coverage etc. Clearly he did well last year with Ross. If Villeneuve has additional resources in place then surely it would be a better bet to go with Virgin. Branson would surely stick with the project, if only at the same financial level because its moving forward and there is the Villeneuve name. Just good synergy really.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy