Free Tickets to Next GP!!

Posted by slicer 
Free Tickets to Next GP!!
Date: August 11, 2010 08:10PM
Posted by: slicer
But seriously, folks. I love f1 (derrrrrr). That is why I plan on becoming an engineer. Which kind? That's my question. If anyone here has any remote idea what kind of degrees it takes to get me a job either working at a team HQ or at the pit wall, it would be greatly appreciated. I just realized as a senior in high school I have only a couple of years to make up my mind lol.

Thanks Many
-The Slicerer
Re: Free Tickets to Next GP!!
Date: August 11, 2010 08:28PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Mechanical Engineering

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2010 08:29PM by Guimengo.
Date: August 11, 2010 09:22PM
Posted by: matt3454
Whats with the title of this thread?

Date: August 11, 2010 09:39PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Probably trying to get more people to reply :P
Date: August 11, 2010 10:02PM
Posted by: Imran

Slicer... i still haven't received the inheritance that your email said I was entitled to, I gave you my bank details and everything?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: August 12, 2010 12:05AM
Posted by: chet
Slicer. First you need to know where your passion lies.

However, on the basis that you do not know, then I agree with Gui.

I will add one thing. Get experience now. Doing whatever, even making tea's and coffees, just do anything to get that foot in the door and working for a raceteam. That will count as much as any degree imo.

Ive just finished uni, doing aerospace, and next year going on to do a masters at cranfield. Even then, my major downfall is a lack of experience in motorsport.

Experience and persistance should pay off. But to answer the original question, if you are unsure exactly what area of F1/motorsport, then I recomend Mechanical eng.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: August 12, 2010 12:31AM
Posted by: vbc
chet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slicer. First you need to know where your passion
> lies.
>
> Experience and persistance should pay off. But to
> answer the original question, if you are unsure
> exactly what area of F1/motorsport, then I
> recomend Mechanical eng.

I agree, I would add that you also need some abilities/skills to start, finish and be one of the best in your field (if you choose mechanical engineering you must be good at physics, math, etc ... I'm an electronic engineer), because otherwise you won't be picked by a F1 team.

EDIT: Will you give us free tickets for a GP when you get hired? :P

Thanks GP3Hotlaps

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2010 12:33AM by vbc.
Date: August 12, 2010 01:32AM
Posted by: Incident 2k9
I've been trying to get into companies that deal with aerodynamics for a fair bit now, as I want to be in F1 as well, on the design side.

But I've been drastically unlucky. I have tried to get work experience with Airbus (their incompetence in communications led to them really pissing me off), and trying to get a few weeks experience at Thales also fell through as they had to move their headquarters.

So yeah, my two cents simply say that you need to persevere. I might have to try and get some time at Ariel, as they're handily Somerset-based.

GPGSL: S6 - TafuroGP Tester (14th) /// S7 - ART Tester (6th) /// S8 - Demon Driver (13th) /// S9 - Demon/Snake Driver (13th) /// S10 - Snake Driver (???) ///]
"My ambition is handicapped by laziness" - Charles Bukowski
Date: August 12, 2010 07:32AM
Posted by: Dahie
Just to throw it in the pool. Many universities take part in the
Formula Student
, an international racing series where university teams take part by constructing racing cars and taking part in a competition. The cars have to be build within a year on a limited budget and run in various competition on the race weekend. Not only the speed, but also the management, finances, PR etc will be graded.
So this is another possible starting point, because you get a quick overview about all the departments that are involved in a racing team and and the formula student has a wide array of international partners who support and hire people from the series.

And now I want to get my free tickets!

Website | Blog | Twitter | CTDP: Site Blog Twitter
Date: August 12, 2010 12:03PM
Posted by: LS.
[www.formula1.com]

LS's Tip of the week
ESSENTIAL OILS aren't essential unless you're an engine, a gearbox or a twat
Date: August 19, 2010 05:51AM
Posted by: slicer
hehe sorry for the title. Wow that's great stuff you guys, especially that post LS.

Dahie, here they call it Formula SAE, i think. The schools that I have in mind to apply to run that program. One of them even went to the global finals in Europe, where they were overwatched by Ferrari F1.

Chet, my passion will always and forever be F1 and all prototype sports so there are no doubts there. And strangely enough, there is a company out here that manufacture the intake and exhaust valves for all the major motorsports including F1 and Le Mans. They're called Del West and several years ago they gave me a private tour of everything, which they don't do. They couldn't give me an internship this summer but I might get it winter break, as that is the time they are busiest. So yes I'm doing everything I can.

Imran, sorry I have had to deal with approximately 12,838,436.42 other people.

Again, LS, that link just got the friggen blood going.

Thanks for all your replies
-The Slicerer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy