double file and rolling starts?

Posted by chet 
double file and rolling starts?
Date: May 17, 2010 04:03PM
Posted by: chet
what do you think guys?

ive become quite the fan of nascar, i enjoy the way the sport treats the fans, i enjoy the racing...

but my suggestion is, waht if F1 adopted double restarts? and also rolling starts?

Take Monaco for example, Webber was untouchable on raceday, if we had double file restarts and Kubica got in front, the race would have been alot more interesting.

Apart from that I think it makes what have become boring restarts fun again!

Is it practical? im not sure, but it would spice things imo! If only for a corner or two!

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Re: double file and rolling starts?
Date: May 17, 2010 04:16PM
Posted by: salvasirignano
It really wouldn't be fair on the guy in front who might have caned his tryes building up a big lead over the car behind, then with one lap left there is a double file restart and he gets passed.
Restarts are unfair enough as it is on those leading the race anyway, without making them more so!
Date: May 17, 2010 04:46PM
Posted by: Ferrari2007
It'd just come across as a gimmick personally

Races: 163 - Wins: 23 - Pole Positions: 24 - Fastest Laps: 22
Season 9: Constructors' Champions
Date: May 17, 2010 05:09PM
Posted by: mcdo
Are rolling starts and attention spans in any way connected?
Date: May 17, 2010 08:26PM
Posted by: chet
It might be a tad gimmicky but it would induce some more racing and maybe prevent a run away leader.

And I know it's bad for the leading driver, but its yet another challenge for the drivers to overcome. Like in Nascar they should be free to choose which line they want so it would not be so bad. We've got cold tyres and brakes and it would be a contest of who's the biggest balls or smallest brain :p!

I was just annoyed to watch Vettel let Webber get away so easily at the restarts. I cant help but feel had Lewis been in Vettels spot that never would have happened.

"Trulli was slowing down like he wanted to have a picnic" LOL
Date: May 17, 2010 09:11PM
Posted by: Guimengo
Vettel seems a bit shaken up by Webber getting pole back to back after the new aerodynamic pieces came in. Webber dominated both races.
Date: May 17, 2010 09:37PM
Posted by: EC83
Still, I think it's good to see Webber getting the upper hand at the moment, considering how last season and earlier this season Vettel had been consistently beating him. Good to see them looking more evenly matched now, and Mark having a very real shot at the title.

Date: May 17, 2010 10:12PM
Posted by: danm
I think this is where Vettel, as good as he is, doesn't have that flame inside that makes him as good as people are saying.

He only seems to win when he is totally at the front end, dominating, and already ahead.

But then we haven't seen him have a chance of fighting from, say, 6th or 7th and win it.

Or am I mistaken fully?

Reminds me of a polished Ralf Schumacher.

Jenson drives it like he owns it; Lewis drives it like he stole it
Date: May 17, 2010 10:16PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Reminds me more of Mika Hakkinen. A lot of great days, but an off day is a bit meh.

Whilst Vettel didn't exactly hassle Webber he still finished 2nd. It isn't like he is doing a Massa and has let 3 or 4 cars get between himself and his team mate. It's probably the closest talent gap between team mates on the grid.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: May 18, 2010 01:24AM
Posted by: The_Ozz_Man
Rolling Starts could work but the double file restart is unfair on the leading driver who busted a nut to get the lead in the first place.

On Vetel I agree he looks a bit shook up by Webber's speed in the last few races he did not challenge webber at any of the restarts at Monaco he looked like he was beaten by Webber on Saturday.

As an aussie I am uber geed for Mark to be wining and making a "early" run for the title hope he can keep it up!!

The Thunder from Downunder

Date: May 18, 2010 07:07AM
Posted by: loren
Was F1 that horrible before they started continually screwing with the sporting regs? They hardly changed at all in the 90's, but since 2002 we've had all kinds of gimmicks: 2 new quali systems, 2 new point systems, all sorts of changes about what tires you can use and when you can change them, when can you fuel the car, what parts of the car can you change between sessions, etc etc etc. Personally I think almost all of these changes have made the sport worse. Leave it alone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy