18-inch Michelin wheel rims in 2011?

Posted by sega 
Re: 18-inch Michelin wheel rims in 2011?
Date: April 12, 2010 11:45PM
Posted by: DaveEllis
Well, that pictures not accurate enough anyway. Michelins sportcar tyres are 18 inch rims and have a much much smaller tyre construction than that.

Try this.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
theRacingLine.net
SportsCarArchives.com
Date: April 13, 2010 10:51AM
Posted by: Morbid
It looks really weird. A lot inside of me screams "that is so wrong". On the other hand, based on what I saw at Le Mans, I wouldn't trust a Hankook motorsports tyre further than I can throw it it. I guess it is up to Kumho :(

It's only after we've lost everything, that we are free to do anything.
Date: April 13, 2010 11:56AM
Posted by: J i m
Larger differences always look insanely weird at first.... but we kind of get used to them.

Date: April 13, 2010 11:56AM
Posted by: Renault#1Fan
Those tyre would look so much better
Date: April 13, 2010 12:16PM
Posted by: torana_05
wouldn't having bigger wheels also slow the cars down because the sidewall wouldn't be able to flex so much. or am i just dreaming up that? because i remember neil crompton saying summin about size of tyre sidewalls being able to give more grip in v8 supercars. i dunno it was ages ago now

Date: April 13, 2010 12:23PM
Posted by: Nickv
That sounds about right. I heard that the bigger sidewalls allow more damping from the tyre itself resulting in more grip.
Date: April 13, 2010 02:57PM
Posted by: ATL11
Is it feasible that with Bridgestone pulling out that F1 could have no Tyre Manufacturers for 2011 if they stay @ the 13 inch regulations, i.e. in this climate no one wants to invest in what is a non standard tyre?

& if so what would happen?

Just a thought!

Andy
Date: April 13, 2010 03:20PM
Posted by: gav
They'd run around on wheel rims.
Date: April 13, 2010 04:45PM
Posted by: marwood82
gav Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They'd run around on wheel rims.

either that or the FIA introduce a change to the rules governing weekend tyre allocation that states that the drivers have to use the tyres they drove to the circuit on.
Date: April 13, 2010 10:54PM
Posted by: senninho
torana_05 Wrote:
> wouldn't having bigger wheels also slow the cars
> down because the sidewall wouldn't be able to flex
> so much. or am i just dreaming up that? because i
> remember neil crompton saying summin about size of
> tyre sidewalls being able to give more grip in v8
> supercars. i dunno it was ages ago now

I expect the suspension would be re-designed to allow more flex - half the reason they run so stiff now is because they factor in the sidewall flex.

Date: April 14, 2010 05:10AM
Posted by: casabonka
marwood82 Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They'd run around on wheel rims.
>
>
> either that or the FIA introduce a change to the
> rules governing weekend tyre allocation that
> states that the drivers have to use the tyres they
> drove to the circuit on.

Haha, wait until the drivers all buy Hummers with 24" rims :P

2013 - Nando must come through..
Date: April 14, 2010 11:44AM
Posted by: mcdo
marwood82 Wrote:
> gav Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They'd run around on wheel rims.
>
>
> either that or the FIA introduce a change to the
> rules governing weekend tyre allocation that
> states that the drivers have to use the tyres they
> drove to the circuit on.

Be afraid Lewis Hamilton. Be very afraid.
Date: April 14, 2010 02:49PM
Posted by: PaleVampire
Oh god! that ferrari look so hot...18inch rims its really a sporty f1 and all tires are narrow..hopefully

Small Diameter vs. Large Diameter

Small diameter wheels/tires are good for technical tracks, as they lower the center of gravity. Large diameter wheels/tires are for speed tracks. So without knowing anything, you might think that large diameters are the best for a fast car. However, I wouldn't ever suggest using large diameter wheels/tires. They may be fast, but are only good with a weaker motor and a larger gear ratio

Small diameters are supposidly fit with a stronger motor (more torque) and a smaller gear ratio . So small diameters would definitely be your choice for the perfect f1 car.

Narrow(2011 micheline if...will ever happen) vs. Wide

Narrow wheels/tires have less contact with the tracks, causing less friction and less drag, allowing the car to go faster. Wide wheels/tires have more contact with the tracks, causing more friction and more drag, allowing the car to be more stable, but slower. So, which type is better?

I would suggest using narrow wheels/tires on both the front and the back of the car. Narrows may not be as stable, but through my experiences, they work out just fine, and are faster than wides. However, if your car really appears to be unstable and tends to fly at times, try wide wheels/tires on the back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2010 02:59PM by PaleVampire.
Date: April 14, 2010 03:51PM
Posted by: SexySam182
Wow. Even as just a first year engineer, I dont know where to start in response to the last post.

The whole section on diameter is rather inconsequential, as the proposition of 18 inch rims wouldnt change the actual diameter of the tyres as you are suggesting, just would result in smaller sidewalls. Changing the diameter of the tires would make very little difference anyway, as the engineers would just change the gear ratios to get the desired setting.

It is completely wrong to suggest that narrow tyres are faster because of 'less friction'. The point of the tyres is to generate the greatest friction possible, otherwise the cars would have less grip and therefore corner slower.

In all the introduction of 18 inch rims would make very little difference (other than aesthetically) to the cars, as has already been suggested, any increase in stiffness due to the smaller sidewalls would be overcome by softening the suspension.

Date: April 14, 2010 07:52PM
Posted by: loren
SexySam182 Wrote:
> Wow. Even as just a first year engineer, I dont
> know where to start in response to the last post.
>

Agreed. F1 tires need to dissipate a lot of heat, thus they're as big as the regulations allow. Things like rolling resistance matter to bicycles, not so much to F1 cars.
Date: April 14, 2010 09:48PM
Posted by: ATL11
Why can't we still have the low profile tyres, but with small skinny one at the front and big 70's & 80's style @ the back?

It's still in essence of F1, what with them being wheels tyres etc....

Andy
Date: April 14, 2010 10:26PM
Posted by: loren
Front tire size is based on the car's weight distribution (and probably a lot on aero distribution as well these days). CG of modern cars is much further forward than in the 70's, so the front tires have gotten bigger to cope.

I do like the wide, low look of that Mclaren though (of course the whole car is over a foot wider than today's cars).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Maintainer: mortal, stephan | Design: stephan, Lo2k | Moderatoren: mortal, TomMK, Noog, stephan | Downloads: Lo2k | Supported by: Atlassian Experts Berlin | Forum Rules | Policy